Uniform looks and identities that you miss in sports

Tigers6884

Do baseball jackets count as identities? If so, I miss them and would like to see them return to MLB dugouts.

BlB8VLfCAAEzMs4.jpg

What you're looking at there is a classic satin-style jacket. This to me, screams baseball, and I even own this one myself:

il_fullxfull.280056251.jpg

However, dugout jackets still exist of course. They just look terrible now, like this:

4120qYn5QBL._SY300_.jpg

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Red Sox look:

<photo snip>

That is classic.

am i missing something or isn't this pretty much the same uniform they have today

<photo snip>

Compare the piping on the sleeves and placket. Also, those stirrups. :wub:

. . . and the navy undershirt. They wear red ones now.

Pretty dang minor differences if you ask me. I thought we were talking about actual lost identities, not minute stuff like width of piping and lack of stirrups.

I think the change of the undershirts is a major difference. It changes the look of the uniform significantly, particularly when the weather turns cold. If memory serves me, the Red Sox made a big deal out of it when they switched to red undershirts and red dugout jackets.

jim-lonborg-595x607.jpg

boston-red-sox-2011-team-composite.jpgjosh-beckett5.jpg

For the record, I picked a 2011 Sox picture intentionally . . . just because.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The baseball dugout jacket picture reminded me of something I miss:

Unique NBA warmups. There was a time when every team had their own individually designed warmup set and they weren't pumped out in standardized templates by Addidas and NBA properties.

33_6083A_lg.jpeg20130508_9d34130572ce8ba9e699cIv9kbm2KyP

Magic-and-Bird-21640.jpgOrlando+Warm+Up+1995.jpgLJ1413.jpg

VERSUS

600_pistonsrecap_101005.jpg

UGH.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 more uniforms/identities I miss in sports

1. Mario-era Pittsburgh Penguins: One of the best looks in NHL history and always missed them when looking at the Pens now.
  2. 1997 Cleveland Indians: A modern classic w/ Chief Wahoo proudly displayed through the whole uniform (For better or worse is up to you). 1000x better than the current mess of a set.
  3. 1990's Orlando Magic: IMHO, the best looking uniform in NBA history. Pinstripes + Giant star + swagger = classic
  4. 1998 Atlanta Falcons: Always viewed them in black rather than red and the grey completes the set perfectly
  5. 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates: Oregon of the MLB with multiple uniform combos.

slideshow_950561_FALCONS_DOLPHINS-17_293

large_jose.jpg

hardaway.jpg

mario-lemieux-2.jpg

pirates.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Stirrups and true baseball length pants. Love that James Jones is sporting them for the Mariners in 2014.

jamesjones1280sea_6mbc39cr_ay3bzise.jpg

I agree about stirrups, but that's a terrible picture. Spring training, navy, so generic.

Seattle Mariners: Back to the Future, Now!!!!

Stirrups and true baseball length pants. Love that James Jones is sporting them for the Mariners in 2014.

I agree about stirrups, but that's a terrible picture. Spring training, navy, so generic.

Navy and "teal" is a lot more unique then royal and gold. Also, do you want every team to switch to sansabelt and pullovers?

The baseball dugout jacket picture reminded me of something I miss:

Unique NBA warmups. There was a time when every team had their own individually designed warmup set and they weren't pumped out in standardized templates by Addidas and NBA properties.

33_6083A_lg.jpeg20130508_9d34130572ce8ba9e699cIv9kbm2KyP

Magic-and-Bird-21640.jpgOrlando+Warm+Up+1995.jpgLJ1413.jpg

VERSUS

600_pistonsrecap_101005.jpg

UGH.

I think Mitchell & Ness has a couple of those old NBA warm ups for sale.

Pullovers are generic and terrible. Navy and teal, however, are not generic.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Navy is generic yes, but when paired with teal it's anything but generic. I don't know any team that wears the same 'Northwest Green' shade of tael the Mariners do. On the other hand I know several teams that utilize blue and gold. Lol

02_22_10_tomlinson_zpsb8d8dc60.jpg

I never disliked those uniforms, but I always wondered if they would have looked just a little better if the bolts were predominantly yellow.

The darker blue Charger uniforms look so much better with dark helmets.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Navy and "teal" is a lot more unique then royal and gold. Also, do you want every team to switch to sansabelt and pullovers?
Where's the "teal" in that picture? No team wears blue and gold full-time. Give me blue and gold.

I will try to stay on point, but the thing is every time I mention pullover baseball jerseys, people here froth at the mouth and call for my execution. This goes back to the "Your uniform related beliefs" thread. Other than stagnant "tradition" why do button-front baseball jerseys even exist? Ideally, I believe the majority of baseball teams should wear pullover jerseys. Pullover jerseys aren't generic. Perhaps a handful of teams (Braves, Tigers, Rangers) could retain the button-front look. I wouldn't be oppposed to certain teams wearing mid-calf length sansabelt pants but belted pants the right length would be ideal.

Now, commence the calls for me being banned since I brought up a taboo subject around here.

To be different, I miss not just the Mighty Ducks, but the Nike Mighty Ducks alternate set. I thought those were far superior to the primary set and were really underrated.

Also, the Angels before they went on a sleeve patch binge, the previous Seahawks set, the original Avalanche, the Leftwich-era Jaguars (with the custom font), etc.

VmWIn6B.png

Where's the "teal" in that picture? No team wears blue and gold full-time. Give me blue and gold.

I will try to stay on point, but the thing is every time I mention pullover baseball jerseys, people here froth at the mouth and call for my execution. This goes back to the "Your uniform related beliefs" thread. Other than stagnant "tradition" why do button-front baseball jerseys even exist? Ideally, I believe the majority of baseball teams should wear pullover jerseys. Pullover jerseys aren't generic. Perhaps a handful of teams (Braves, Tigers, Rangers) could retain the button-front look. I wouldn't be oppposed to certain teams wearing mid-calf length sansabelt pants but belted pants the right length would be ideal.

Now, commence the calls for me being banned since I brought up a taboo subject around here.

Not to sound like a troll (like yourself) but the teal outlines the numbers. And the piping is teal. In the big four though, no other team wears navy and teal (correct me if I'm wrong) but I know other big four teams wear blue and gold and collegiate teams do as well.

Back on topic, I love the look of zipper front baseball jerseys. The Stan Musial era zipper front with the black bat and the sleeve stripes as well as the Boston Braves (it might have been Milwaukee but I am pretty sure it's Boston) are two of my favorite uniforms and I think St. Louis missed out on an oppertunity to modernize those instead of the faux back they use for their alt. in the nba, I miss the collars actually looking different from team to team

Dear God, you want the Yankees to use pullovers.......

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

This set defined THE team of the 80's and 90's. No one ever wanted to mess with these guys, and if you beat em, props to you. They never need to change these. If they had just added the current font, everything would've been perfect, and they never would have had to wear anything different. The only thing they needed to do with these was match the helmet and pants striping(preferably the helmet) on the white pants, and they would've been done.

ray-lewis2.jpg516zXjZCmhL.jpg

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived