Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XXVIII: January 30, 1994. Georgia Dome, Atlanta, Georgia

Dallas Cowboys - 30 Buffalo Bills - 13

28_zpsa7bf33d5.png

Buffalo lead at the half, but then Thurman Thomas fumbled the ball (and the lead and the game), James Washington [Dallas] returned it for a TD and the Bills simply never recovered.

Buffalo had a 4-peat, the wrong kind of 4-peat though. (And became the first professional sports franchise EVER to lose 4 straight world championship games/series.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Super Bowl XXIX: January 29, 1995 - Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, Florida

San Diego Chargers - 26         San Francisco 49ers - 49

XXH1RQL.png

Many changes for this field, most notably the NFL 75 logo at midfield. Other changes include the Super Bowl logo at the 30's (this was the same year the kickoff was moved back to the 30), no conference logo in the endzone (only other time was Super Bowl 50), and the number coloring was the same color as the conference for each teams sideline. Also the 49ers wordmark was different from past wordmarks used with a lager black outline.

This field ended up being a large amount of work, mostly done cleaning up the chargers wordmark and the NFL 75 logo because I only had poor resolution pictures for those. I also had to clean up the Super Bowl logo a bit as well as make the minor changes to the 49ers wordmark.

All in all, I'd say this was one of my least favorite fields before the templated logo era, although there are some good things in this field. What I disliked the most was the exicution of the Chargers wordmark and the way the NFL logo looks in the helmets. It doesn't help that this was a terrible game as well.

< Super Bowl XXVIII    First Post    Super Bowl XXX >

Super Bowl XXIX: January 29, 1995. Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, Florida

San Diego Chargers - 26 San Francisco 49ers - 49

29_zps26aa1397.png

Many changes for this field, most notably the NFL 75 logo at midfield. Other changes include the Super Bowl logo at the 30's (this was the same year the kickoff was moved back to the 30), no conference logo in the endzone, and the number coloring was the same color as the conference for each teams sideline. Also the 49ers wordmark was different from past wordmarks used with a lager black outline.

This field ended up being a large amount of work, mostly done cleaning up the chargers wordmark and the NFL 75 logo because I only had poor resolution pictures for those. I also had to clean up the Super Bowl logo a bit as well as make the minor changes to the 49ers wordmark.

All in all, I'd say this was one of my least favorite fields before the templated logo era, although there are some good things in this field. What I disliked the most was the exicution of the Chargers wordmark and the way the NFL logo looks in the helmets. It doesn't help that this was a terrible game as well.

This game was over a minute into the game when Steve Young hit Jerry Rice with a long TD pass.

The 94 49ers where one of the best teams in the Super Bowl era, while the 94 Chargers were one of the worst. The 49ers were 18 point favorites and covered the spread by winning by 23, and it wasn't even that close.

This was one of the biggest mismatches in Super Bowl history and was the worst Super Bowl I had seen until this years.

29_zps26aa1397.png

Many changes for this field, most notably the NFL 75 logo at midfield. Other changes include the Super Bowl logo at the 30's (this was the same year the kickoff was moved back to the 30), no conference logo in the endzone, and the number coloring was the same color as the conference for each teams sideline. Also the 49ers wordmark was different from past wordmarks used with a lager black outline.

This game was over a minute into the game when Steve Young hit Jerry Rice with a long TD pass.

The 94 49ers where one of the best teams in the Super Bowl era, while the 94 Chargers were one of the worst. The 49ers were 18 point favorites and covered the spread by winning by 23, and it wasn't even that close.

This was one of the biggest mismatches in Super Bowl history and was the worst Super Bowl I had seen until this years

At least SD put up double digits. Can't say the same about SB 35 and 48. Those two are the worst in my opinion

baltimore_ravens_banner_MED.gif

29_zps26aa1397.png

This was one of the biggest mismatches in Super Bowl history and was the worst Super Bowl I had seen until this years

At least SD put up double digits. Can't say the same about SB 35 and 48. Those two are the worst in my opinion

Yes Super Bowl XXXV was bad but the part where they scored three TDs in 30 seconds (a pick six and back to back kickoff returns for TDs) made that part of the game exciting.

Super Bowl XXXV also had the worst starting QBs (Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins) in Super Bowl History. I can't think of another Super Bowl that had two worse starting QBs.

29_zps26aa1397.png

Did they forget the white stroke on the inside of the Chargers A too?

That was one of the reasons I hate the execution of the Chargers word mark. They also cut off the white outline when they got to the break in the word mark and it just doesn't look right. And just the single stripe in the break also looks bad, they could have put a white stripe in there maybe above the blue one. I think it would have looked much better for the word mark if the end zone were blue and the word mark where white with white and yellow stripes, but then there would have been a problem with the blue helmets.

San Diego was going to lose regardless of if they faced San Francisco (which they did) or Dallas (which they could've). It was only a matter of how much they would lose by.

San Diego was just like New England in Super Bowl XX, a team that had no chance of winning feeling great just being there.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

the last of the "classic" Super Bowl fields

I always think of XXX the last of the "Classic" fields. Although they changed the helmets to a modern 4 bar face mask, the general look was the same as many of the past fields, unlike the many changes that took place for XXXI. Plus XXX had a classic match-up between the Steelers and Cowboys.

the last of the "classic" Super Bowl fields

I always think of XXX the last of the "Classic" fields. Although they changed the helmets to a modern 4 bar face mask, the general look was the same as many of the past fields, unlike the many changes that took place for XXXI. Plus XXX had a classic match-up between the Steelers and Cowboys.

Yep. That the only super bowl I ever was close to getting into. I had litterly just got back from the US Army a year or so earlier, and had worked part time hawking at Sun Devil Stadium. I did not last long as I got my first post Army job at a local Frys Grocery store as a cashier and was attending Glendale (AZ) Community College, and just began my carrer umpiring High School sports. Though I did get involved volunteering for the NFL Experience. And continued with SB XLII at Universtity of Phoeinx Stadium, and plan to continue to do so this year for SB XLiX.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

After all the work I had to do for this field, I think I will be taking a little break. I should definitely have XXX done before I head back to school, and my goal is to get through XXXII by then.

After all the work I had to do for this field, I think I will be taking a little break. I should definitely have XXX done before I head back to school, and my goal is to get through XXXII by then.

Yea SB XXIX was a nightmare. A mismashed set of "goof's" and a poor design due to the 75 season. I would have done the NFL shield, and the SB logos at mid field and the 75th Season logo in the endzone. I think that would have been better!

Edited by SFCOM1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I have begun work on Super Bowl XXX, and I've basically have it done. I'm just working on the helmets for the endzones. The facemask that was used wasn't anything generic that you would see for a typical helmet logo, so I've been trying my best to replicate it.

This is what I have so far...

Steelers30_zps8b56ee47.png

Cowboys30_zpseb5da7d6.png

I still need to make a few changes, but I've got it mostly correct. The biggest change I need to make is moving the bar that runs along the side of the helmet closer to the edge.

You got it about right. Pics I have on the net show the facemask to be a much thinner version of what the "modern" cage mask is for more current helmets (pre-edge and newer models) I am tring to get a pic off the NFL films video about SB XXX that gives a tighter look at the helmets!

Yea you got it right. A video I have seen on you tube for SB XXX, has the on helmet bar a bit closer to the edge, But the cage looks spot on! :-D

Edited by SFCOM1