Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

The NFL Creative Department (Creative is being wayyyy to kind) should be punched in the gonads. And then fired.

I can understand designing the teams endzones for the SB to resemble their regular season home field endzones. BUT, this is the freaking SB. The endzones should be fun, colorful, unique, they should standout and POP!! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, genius said:

the Super Bowl field on the StubHub website is really not bad compared to the actual field and I think I actually even prefer it slightly.

EaE6iw2.png

It is very misleading on Stubhub's part to have the team's endzone locations reversed from real life. And even worse, Their sidelines are backwards as well . According to a real-life photo, the Patriots are the sideline below the midfield logo. and the endzone to the left. I'd be ticked thinking I was buying tickets on the Rams' side based on this false diagram.

• Like 1

I hate the new field template.  Such a boring, bland look.   I am re-watching Super Bowl XXVII right now. Cowboys vs Bills in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl.  I remember watching that game at 13 yrs old and how beautiful the field looked. The blue and red of the Bills and the silver, blue, and white of the Cowboys.  The beautiful end zones with the big bright reds and blues.  The dark green grass.  The sun was so bright to start the game.  It really struck me as a kid.  I still love to turn the game on even today and just be mesmerized by the bright colors.  Still my favorite Super Bowl for that very reason.  Man, I miss those fields oh so much.  I pray they bring them back one day.

• Like 3

Hey Everyone,

Shandon Melvin is the Creative Director for the NFL. I sent him an invite to connect via LinkedIn. We need to compose an influential message about changing up the Super Bowl fields to its glory in the 80’s and 90’s (in lieu of the 100th anniversary & beyond). I will see if he accepts my LinkedIn invite. Regardless, we need to get in touch with him! Stay tuned!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bear fan Minnesota said:

Hey Everyone,

Shandon Melvin is the Creative Director for the NFL. I sent him an invite to connect via LinkedIn. We need to compose an influential message about changing up the Super Bowl fields to its glory in the 80’s and 90’s (in lieu of the 100th anniversary & beyond). I will see if he accepts my LinkedIn invite. Regardless, we need to get in touch with him! Stay tuned!

Cool. If he accepts, send him a link to this thread. 😎 

Some awesome ideas and field designs in here. The NFL could use some help.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, noodlesnchips said:

I hate the new field template.  Such a boring, bland look.   I am re-watching Super Bowl XXVII right now. Cowboys vs Bills in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl.  I remember watching that game at 13 yrs old and how beautiful the field looked. The blue and red of the Bills and the silver, blue, and white of the Cowboys.  The beautiful end zones with the big bright reds and blues.  The dark green grass.  The sun was so bright to start the game.  It really struck me as a kid.  I still love to turn the game on even today and just be mesmerized by the bright colors.  Still my favorite Super Bowl for that very reason.  Man, I miss those fields oh so much.  I pray they bring them back one day.

I have to agree, the Super Bowl XXVII field is one of my favorites. They went all out painting up the numbers, 20s and 50s, and the red white and blue all over the field looked beautiful in the sun to begin the game.

14 hours ago, Bear fan Minnesota said:

Hey Everyone,

I feel like this is something we can have more of an impact in with more of a petition, but really sell it with some of the best old field designs. We'd really have to gather steam though across the community here and beyond though, and not just in this thread.

• Like 2

general-view-of-the-super-bowl-liii-logo

Here's a decent shot at the Super Bowl logo on the field. It doesn't look like they completely did the full shading on the logo, like they have in some past years. But they have also touched up the logo with shading before the game, so who knows.

On the lighter and darker sections of the turf, the logo is clearly lighter and darker. This is a low angle, so that probably makes the color difference seem more extreme, but the Falcons field has always had the most extreme color difference between the light and dark parts of the turf. I'm interested to see how the logo looks from the angle we see on TV, and how much of a contrast there is between the light and dark sides of the turf.

lets discuss, favorite fields of all time? 

For me it's a few.

SB 30: This field incorporated all of everyone's favorite details at once while being a matchup of the most legendary and classic branded franchises. The uniform matchup, the grass, the venue, the field design, and the blue v yellow endzone was a perfect alignment in my opinion 

SB 34: I think this was the best of the mid-field helmet era despite being on astro turf and not having number detailing. That's ok, bc the endzone designs as a whole might be the best of all time with powder blue versus bright yellow. 

SB 44: No bias bc i'm a saints fan here: but wow. I mean, it's a total shame there was no 50 and 20's and number outlining. That would maybe make it the greatest field. The uniform matchup, the grass, and field painting were amazing. There hasn't been a field better ever if they just outlined the 50 and 20's. I personally thought the helmetless look was great as long as they included a great big team logo and conference logo. That was the last field with the old conference logos and unique SB logos. When I saw that saints endzone on SB morning with that perfect gold paint and that black fleur de lis, I was floored. 

This year I thought Chiefs v Saints would have been epic in both endzone and uniform matchup. Maybe someone can make a SB 53 field of saints v chiefs in the format of SB 44 with 20's and 50's outlining. That would have been the best looking field ever potentially. Red v Gold. Saints in all black v Chiefs in all white or maybe they wear the red pants. I cant believe this trash all blue corporate matchup with corporate fan bases instead. and a bullshi field

My all-time favorite detail which I sacrificed in my wish list as a compromise was the NFL footballs complete with Pete Rozelle’s signature on the 35s with the unique Super Bowl logos in there.  For this reason my all-time favorite fields are XIV, XV, and XVI even though I’m not entirely sure that the yard line numerals or 50 yard line, 20 yard line, and conversion hash marks were outlined. What amazing attention to detail!OM56GVp.jpg

I was rooting for a Saints/Chiefs SB.  Wanted to see a red endzone vs. a black or gold one.  Maybe we will get that match up next year.

Chiefs uni's would have been awesome, either white over white or white over red. Saints, not so much, unless they brought out the gold pants.  

10 hours ago, nola field lover said:

For me it's a few.

SB 30: This field incorporated all of everyone's favorite details at once while being a matchup of the most legendary and classic branded franchises. The uniform matchup, the grass, the venue, the field design, and the blue v yellow endzone was a perfect alignment in my opinion 

SB 34: I think this was the best of the mid-field helmet era despite being on astro turf and not having number detailing. That's ok, bc the endzone designs as a whole might be the best of all time with powder blue versus bright yellow. 

SB 44: No bias bc i'm a saints fan here: but wow. I mean, it's a total shame there was no 50 and 20's and number outlining. That would maybe make it the greatest field. The uniform matchup, the grass, and field painting were amazing. There hasn't been a field better ever if they just outlined the 50 and 20's. I personally thought the helmetless look was great as long as they included a great big team logo and conference logo. That was the last field with the old conference logos and unique SB logos. When I saw that saints endzone on SB morning with that perfect gold paint and that black fleur de lis, I was floored. 

This year I thought Chiefs v Saints would have been epic in both endzone and uniform matchup. Maybe someone can make a SB 53 field of saints v chiefs in the format of SB 44 with 20's and 50's outlining. That would have been the best looking field ever potentially. Red v Gold. Saints in all black v Chiefs in all white or maybe they wear the red pants. I cant believe this trash all blue corporate matchup with corporate fan bases instead. and a bullshi field

In order of game played, my favorite field designs have to be:

SB IV: Love the midfield design, and the number font (which hasn't been seen on an NFL field since old Texas Stadium, but featured every Rose Bowl game), and the endzone colors were a great contrast.

SB XIII: First game where the 20 yard lines were painted, and the first time a version of the actual Super Bowl logo was used on the field. Good color contrast between the endzones, and the numbers were outlined in conference colors (not a first, but still looked good)

SB XXI: California sun, and full of color. Endzones full of bright colors, and the 20's, 50's, and numbers all painted up.

SB XXIII: I like the way they did the numbers on this field. A thin outline was added (black for the Bengals, and 49ers) on the outside; a small touch, but small details are important (take a hint NFL). Love the Bengals endzone contrast of the black and orange.

SB XXVII: Gotta say, not a bad field at the Rose Bowl. Always full of color, and any Californian game looks good in the sun on grass, but this one was really looking top notch (if only the game was decent).

SB XXX: First time the team boxes were painted, last year of the dueling helmets endzones, full colored numbers and 50/20s, and also a game that starts in sun on grass can never look bad (XLIX, and 50 with :censored: logos and designs even looked so much better on grass in the sun than any other field since Super Bowl XLV)

The first game I can remember was XXXV, but I fell asleep for that one (I was 5, so I need a pass there). SB XXXVII I remember the opening drive and the logo at midfield in the sun. Really a great logo, and looked awesome on the field.

SB XL was the first time I really paid attention to the field and the logo, as a Steelers fan. Not many people here seem to like the silver 'banners' around the conference logos, but I always thought they were unique and a nice touch. If it weren't for that game, I'm not sure how much into field designs I would be, because after that Super Bowl I was always excited for the field and the logos, and would either draw out fields on paper, and make banners for my families Super Bowl event. I can't say Super Bowl XL makes my top 10 of fields, but it is the reason I'm here documenting the field designs now.

• Like 4

Have to agree that IV is probably the most colorful, eye-popping field ever!  XIII was a beauty and I always liked how the NFL logo really popped that year.  I think VII is an underrated field with the way the Redskins and Dolphins team wordmarks we’re outlined in white which also made them really pop and with the colored numerals at the 50 yard line.  The more color the better, it’s not that hard!!!!!

• Like 1

Can You do a super bowl field with the 100th anniversary logo with a past design ? I hope that now the NFL takes notice that their are fans that do care about the look of the field for the super bowl and hopefully from this the NFL hire ups are getting feedback and will change their creative look for events especially the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, nola field lover said:

For me it's a few.

It's hard to come up with a short list. (I often think in terms of best looking individual end zones). But my Top 5 fields would probably be:

SB 17: Anything with the Dolphins end zones added an extra dimension because of their shadow effect, (aqua end zones, orange letters white outline, black shadow) ...And SB17 was the only one played on grass. The Redskins end zone made for a great variety of colors at the other end. And the Rose Bowl is the perfect setting, just in case the other reasons weren't enough.

SB 19: The Dolphins returned 2 years later, but this time with orange end zones. I remember as a kid, being surprised, because I had already figured out the formula, but then they added an element of unpredictability. (still not sure why the Dolphins end zone was changed so drastically just 2 years apart). But to this day it is the most striking, colorful end zone in Super Bowl history. SB 19 was also before we had grown tired of the 49ers going so much, consequently the first time we would see that end zone on a grass surface.

SB 30: Yall have already given many food reasons. I'd like to note that it was the last year they had dueling helmets, yet the first & only year they used the more modern looking facemask.

SB 25: I usually don't like when both end zones are very similar colors, But the red and blue from Giants and Bills did happen to match the special 25th anniversary logo at midfield. It was also a very memorable game, which helps,

SB 47: I hold a grudge towards the field layouts after SB30 (no more helmets, lack of consistency) ... but this matchup between the Ravens and 49ers provided some good color with the purple and gold, and the red and gold.

Other favorites include: SB 20 Bears- Patriots ... SB 16 Bengals-49ers ... SB21 Giants-Broncos ... SB26 Redskins Bills ... SB15 Rams-Steelers  ... SB 15 Eagles- Raiders ... SB 8 Vikings - Dolphins

• Like 1