Timberwolves fans "burn" Kevin Love's jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're going to change the name of the team, right?

Burn the franchise to the ground. It was worthless for so long and there's no value in the colors, the name, the history, any of it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Burn the franchise to the ground. It was worthless for so long and there's no value in the colors, the name, the history, any of it.

I think Ballmer stated that the name will remain. Everything else is probably on the chopping block.

Hopefully that means that the awful logo will be gone as well as the colors. You have a name like the Clippers and you have a basketball as a logo. That's ridiculous.

I hope they keep the colors. There is not a ton of red/white/blue in the NBA. I actually like their uniforms enough to put them in the top half of the league.

As for the logo...it would be terrible even if it was not a rip off of another terrible logo that represents the team that historically takes 95% of the headlines in its own market.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Hopefully that means that the awful logo will be gone as well as the colors. You have a name like the Clippers and you have a basketball as a logo. That's ridiculous.

I hope they keep the colors. There is not a ton of red/white/blue in the NBA. I actually like their uniforms enough to put them in the top half of the league.

Since Ballmer is keeping the name he pretty much has to find another way to make a dramatic change to show people that he is cleansing the franchise of the losing and/or embarrassment that Donald Sterling brought to that team on a consistent basis throughout that team's history.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The Blackhawks didn't change their name when Dollar Bill passed away, the Reds didn't change their name when Schott was forced out, so I see no reason for the Clippers to change their name.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Because the Blackhawks and Reds are historically relevant and important to their respective leagues, and are noted for being more than just embarrassments. Was Schott the owner when they won in 1990?

With the exception of the very recent past, the Clippers franchise was nothing but a drag on the rest of the NBA, subsidized by both its far more respectable fellow tenant and the rest of the league. The Clippers made dumb draft picks, hired bad coaches, played poorly, and leached off the rest of the league.

If the Lakers didn't keep the Clippers afloat for as long as they did, the Clippers would have graciously disappeared ages ago and we would have all been better off for it.

I'm glad Sterling's gone and I'm hopeful Ballmer is a productive owner. But I think any romanticism of the Clippers is misplaced -- among historically terrible franchises, they're probably the worst. Just terrible.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Because the Blackhawks and Reds are historically relevant and important to their respective leagues, and are noted for being more than just embarrassments. Was Schott the owner when they won in 1990?

The Reds did have some success, including a championship, in spite of that piece of crap Schott, but the Blackhawks were irrelevant for a long time under Dollar Bill's ownership. They were voted the worst franchise in sports as recently as 2006, routinely outdrawn by the minor-league Chicago Wolves, and fans couldn't even watch the home games on TV. Yet they didn't throw away the Blackhawks name and identity in a misguided attempt to "start over" when Rocky Wirtz took over.

It's a moot point because Ballmer has made it clear that the name is staying. A name change doesn't erase the miserable history of the franchise, and continued winning will change the connotations of the Clippers name anyway. Just look at the Mavericks: they were a laughingstock during the '90s, but the success of the Cuban era has long since erased the negative associations of the past.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It is moot, but I think you're understanding just how miserable the Clippers franchise was, and for how long. I think Ballmer is making a mistake by not making a clean break from the past, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is that I don't think Sterling's dismissal is akin to a dark cloud being lifted from an otherwise glorious franchise. Sterling WAS the Clippers, and everything having to do with the team should be removed along with him.

I mean, the Bobcats were also terrible (but not as grossly so!) and they had the good sense to change their name -- and actually went to great lengths to do so.

The Reds did have some success, including a championship, in spite of that piece of crap Schott, but the Blackhawks were irrelevant for a long time under Dollar Bill's ownership. They were voted the worst franchise in sports as recently as 2006, routinely outdrawn by the minor-league Chicago Wolves, and fans couldn't even watch the home games on TV. Yet they didn't throw away the Blackhawks name and identity in a misguided attempt to "start over" when Rocky Wirtz took over.

It's a moot point because Ballmer has made it clear that the name is staying. A name change doesn't erase the miserable history of the franchise, and continued winning will change the connotations of the Clippers name anyway. Just look at the Mavericks: they were a laughingstock during the '90s, but the success of the Cuban era has long since erased the negative associations of the past.

Blackhawks - Original Six, historic franchise, storied history in Chicago, many legendary players, three championships (at his death), incompetent ownership.

Red - first professional baseball franchise, storied history in Cincinnati, many legendary players, five championships, awful, racist owner who made a few comments which we learned via hearsay or in writing.

Clippers - expansion franchise which moved twice, no players of note, notable only for being a doormat, zero division championships before 2013, and racist owner who made a national mainstream media scandal being recorded saying he didn't want black people to attend his games, which had players and fans talking about boycotting.

Schott was a lot closer to Sterling than was Wertz (who was more incompetent than anything), but nothing she did came close to having the impact of Sterling's scandal this year, and more importantly, the Clippers are the polar opposite of a storied franchise.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It'd be a mistake for the Clippers to change their name. With a new color scheme, logos and uniforms, the new ownership can make it their own. The Clippers have a good, unique name in all of North American professional sports.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived