NBA D-league: Will all teams have affiliate?

hettinger_rl

Well it has finally gotten to the point where the NBA and the D-League need to find a few places to round out their league to have one affiliate per NBA team. Memphis has taken over the Iowa Energy and Detroit has started a team in Grand Rapids so the options are really whittling away.

These are the affiliates as of now:

Austin - San Antonio

Bakersfield - Phoenix

Canton - Cleveland

Delaware - Philadelphia

**Erie - NONE

*Fort Wayne - Charlotte, Indiana, Milwaukee, Orlando

Idaho - Portland

Iowa - Memphis

Los Angeles - LA Lakers

Maine - Boston

Reno - Sacramento

Rio Grande - Houston

Santa Cruz - Golden State

Sioux Falls - Miami

Texas - Dallas

Tulsa - Oklahoma City

Grand Rapids - Detroit

Westchester - New York

I think that the Erie team is being moved to Westchester to be the Knicks affliate. Also I would say that the Fort Wayne team should go to Indiana, which would leave Charlotte, Milwaukee, and Orlando without.

Other teams without affiliation: New Orleans, LA Clippers, Minnesota, Brooklyn, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Toronto, Utah, Washington
So what are your thoughts on where these teams' affliates should be? What would be some good names?

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are my location thoughts:

Washington - Richmond

Brooklyn - Connecticut

Milwaukee - Green Bay

Charlotte - Not sure... hard to compete with Duke, Wake Forest, and UNC for spectators.

Atlanta - Savannah

Orlando - Tampa / St. Petersburg

New Orleans - Mobile

Chicago - Bloomington

Minnesota - Rochester / St. Cloud

Toronto - Buffalo

Utah - Back to Provo?

Denver - Colorado Springs / Topeka?

LA Clippers - San Diego / Long Beach

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Bulls dropping an affiliate in Rockford could work, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Knicks' Westchester name is coming tonight at 6PM, according to SNY's KnicksBlog.

As for the Nets, I could see them putting an affiliate in the renovated Nassau Coliseum (the team's real estate affiliate is redeveloping the site, and its marketing and events team is taking over those operations for the arena). Seeing as that's a few years down the road, they're going to have to do a short-term arrangement with one of the open teams if they want a presence in the D-League in the next few seasons.

Some additional options:

Charlotte - Fayetteville, NC

Atlanta - Gwinnett

Orlando - Jacksonville

New Orleans - Lafayette / Lake Charles / Alexandria / Monroe / Shreveport / Houma (welcome the old ABA Louisiana Bucs concept)

Minnesota - Duluth

Toronto - London or K-W

Denver - Loveland or Pueblo

LA Clippers - Vegas

Washington - Upper Marlboro

Some additional options:

Atlanta - Gwinnett

For sure. Savannah or Macon seems like a good choice, but there's already two minor league teams up here in Gwinnett, and there's such large amount of people around here who follow basketball, that team would have some great attendance.

Also, I have a question. Do NBA teams have players rehab for a D-League team when coming off an injury?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

It will never happen, but I'd like to see the Bulls or Hawks put their affiliate in the Quad Cities.

The Bulls for obvious reasons -- but they'll likely go somewhere closer in Illinois than Moline.

The Hawks because the franchise started as the Tri City Blackhawks (same place). Plenty of direct flights. If Memphis can be in Des Moines...

They wouldn't go back to the Quad City Thunder name from the CBA days, but there was a Thunderbirds name used in the D League that could be revived and might work for a Hawks affiliation.

But as I said... pipe dream.

I think for the most part the D-League should stay out of other cities with major sports teams.

Also, Portland is leaving Idaho and Utah is rumored to be taking their place.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think for the most part the D-League should stay out of other cities with major sports teams.

Also, Portland is leaving Idaho and Utah is rumored to be taking their place.

Can't confirm it in a link right now, but a local radio show said that the Jazz are hooking back up with the Stampede. Oh well, a D-League team in St. George will have to wait another year or so... :/

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I've been of the persuasion that if/when the Wizards get a D-League team, it'll be in Hershey-Harrisburg. The Wizards and Capitals share an owner, and the Caps AHL affiliate is the Hershey Bears. Also, while they're not connected save for the Nationals's owner's being small partners in the Wizards/Capitals/Mystics ownership group, the Nats' AA team are the Harrisburg Senators. For the crown jewel of my argument, Harrisburg/Hershey was named the third best minor league market in the country. To me, it makes too much sense to have the Hershey Spellcasters or Hershey Hundreds (Yeah, Wilt was a Warrior when he did that, but I think it'd be kinda cool).

If Florida is set to have an affiliate, the Heat and Magic should tag team and put one anywhere but Tampa. We're not a basketball town. Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, or Fort Myers would be the ideal locations.

The Magic have been in talks with both the city and the NBDL to put a team in Jacksonville. They've gone as far as having exhibition games there to test the market. The reason why they haven't pulled the trigger yet, is because they are waiting/hoping for a couple more NBDL teams to be placed in the southeast to ease travel costs.

jNTsTyQ.png

Rockford can't support AHL and the D-League. Put the D-League team in Hoffman Estates or something.

That arena could use a break, but I think the Bulls might be just as likely to stick their team in the practice facility they're building in the United Center's parking lot.

That wouldn't be a bad idea, basically a variation on the Bakersfield Jam model where you only sell luxury seats.

Or they could play at the new DePaul arena that's nowhere near DePaul!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Knicks' Westchester name is coming tonight at 6PM, according to SNY's KnicksBlog.

As for the Nets, I could see them putting an affiliate in the renovated Nassau Coliseum (the team's real estate affiliate is redeveloping the site, and its marketing and events team is taking over those operations for the arena). Seeing as that's a few years down the road, they're going to have to do a short-term arrangement with one of the open teams if they want a presence in the D-League in the next few seasons.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the name is... the Westchester Knicks

The name sucks. Logo is neat, but the name just screams cop out.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the name is... the Westchester Knicks

The name sucks. Logo is neat, but the name just screams cop out.

Your taste is very unique if you think that hideous blending of previous Knicks logo looks good.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

IIRC, I believe Erie is now an affiliate with Orlando (maybe a setup for a possible move to Jacksonville?). Also, as DaytonBlue said, Utah will most likely replace Portland as Idaho's affiliate. As for the rest of the D-League...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

• Atlanta Hawks - Gwinnett County, GA
  • Brooklyn Nets - Bridgeport, CT / Long Island, NY
  • Charlotte Hornets (formerly Bobcats) - Charleston, SC
  • Chicago Bulls - Moline, IL (Quad Cities) / Rockford, IL
  • Milwaukee Bucks - Green Bay WI
  • Toronto Raptors - Hamilton, ON
  • Washington Wizards - Baltimore, MD / Hershey, PA

WESTERN CONFERENCE

• Denver Nuggets - Colorado Springs, CO / Broomfield, CO / Loveland, CO / Pueblo, CO
  • Los Angeles Clippers - San Diego, CA / San Bernardino-Ontario, CA (Inland Empire) / Long Beach, CA
  • Minnesota Timberwolves - Fargo, ND / Bismarck, ND
  • New Orleans Pelicans - Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
  • Portland Trail Blazers - Eugene, OR

YOZXkBG.png?1

10611024-bakersfield-jam-loving-elite-co

Here's Bakersfield's gym, and I mean gym. Seats under 500, but all <500 are treated like kings. This could indeed be an interesting approach for the Bulls and their new practice center in, um, Unitedcenterville? Reinsdorfville? whatever we're calling Madison Street from 1600W to 2000W now that it's supposed to be a destination of sorts. Make a night of shopping, restaurants, and then hang out at an NBDL Baby Bulls game being waited on hand and foot, schmoozing and not really watching basketball. I particularly like it because maybe it'll siphon off the element of schmoozing and not really watching basketball from actual Bulls games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived