NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't complain. My only gripe would be that the Nets are the same color as their primary rival the Knicks, but it's a different enough blue. I love the netting side panels. It makes an other-wise too plain uniform into one of the best in the league.

I love the cursive script. Besides the Clippers, no other team in the league uses it anymore do they?

sig.png

Thanks for the C+C. I originally thought the multicolored pinstripes would hurt the look, but as I was putting them together, it really struck how much it tied the two eras of the Hornets together (I support sending the history back to Charlotte, and leaving the NOLA stuff in NOLA, as if the NOLA Hornets were always the Pelicans). Now, onto two teams who receive significant changes, and may prove a little controversial.

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

Going into this, the only thing from the current uniforms that I knew I was going to preserve was the color scheme (obviously without navy blue). The logo is based on this center court image, and the return of the Lebron-era scripts means that the secondaries can be used again without looking out of place. The court goes back to its general appearance, with some color blocks in the free throw paint to hint at a uniform element.

13372745414_be8851eb5a_c.jpg

13372747184_872ed72fc5_c.jpg

When doing the uniforms, the only sure thing I would do was the implementation of the wine/gold color scheme. Everything else was in flux. So, I went with a combination of the Lebron era, the inaugural look, and the color blocks. So, I used the Lebron era's scripts and side panels, with the inaugural look's piping scheme, and I placed the color blocks in the side panels. This look not only tributes the history of the Cavs, but keeps some of their most identifiable elements around (without looking bland, or like Knicks clones, or whatever the hell this is).

14038140767_9e930e7dee_c.jpg

14038072818_65aa44ab39_c.jpg

Now the alternates are both gold uniforms. One in the style of the white uniform (the gold could easily become the primary home uniform, like it was in the 70's), and another as a hardwood classic to their first gold uniform.

14222387692_51d3c435ea_c.jpg

13503125413_a9292d3938_c.jpg

In the next post, the Mavs!

DALLAS MAVERICKS

While I like the current Mavs' look, I feel that not only has it become a little dated, but it also shirks the nice green/blue color scheme for the all-too-prevalent double blue (I know they were the first to do it in the NBA, but it doesn't make it better). So, I restored the original shades of kelly green and royal blue (a darker version, much like my Nets concept). Silver remains as an accent color. The font for the concept is TF Burko, the font used on the alternates. Not only is the font somewhat more legible than the current font, it also allows the look a degree of neo-retro, as a modern font that has hints of the 70's-80's. The secondaries are updated versions of the original logo, making room for the new "M" and a more detailed hat. The court is much the same as their current court, but with green taking over as the dominant color and the simpler star design in the corners.

13182362695_19a402b659_c.jpg

13182637264_365788518e_c.jpg

The uniforms are based on the latest version of the current alternate (I originally wanted "Mavericks" on the home uniform, but I could not get it to look good), but with some simplified piping, the removal of the above-NOB logo, the addition of small hem stripes, and the placement of the new "M hat shield" on the road uniform. Because of the dominantly green color scheme, the road uniform (sporting a new "Dallas" wordmark in the style of the "Mavs" wordmark) now has a green base.

13182483713_b4cb561d2f_c.jpg

13182632194_dafd8d3cb8_c.jpg

The alternates include a blue version of the home uniform (which obviously can be worn both at home and on the road), and a Hardwood Classics version of their 80's road uniforms.

13182483883_a0d995625e_c.jpg

14060273853_69f4413e0c_c.jpg

Up next, we go a mile high with the Nuggets!

Haha sorry again for posting on the same day! We both have very similar ideas, so obviously I love these. The meshing of eras works very nicely with both of them. That Cavs court is phenomenal, particularly the sides of the key.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The Bulls look alright.

The Cavs look stunning! I love everything about it, especially the color blocks.

However, I'm not able to say the same for the Mavs. I kinda don't like how the wordmarks go with the color scheme. It just looks a bit odd to me.

Great job, though!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Thanks for the C+C. I originally thought the multicolored pinstripes would hurt the look, but as I was putting them together, it really struck how much it tied the two eras of the Hornets together (I support sending the history back to Charlotte, and leaving the NOLA stuff in NOLA, as if the NOLA Hornets were always the Pelicans). Now, onto two teams who receive significant changes, and may prove a little controversial.

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

Going into this, the only thing from the current uniforms that I knew I was going to preserve was the color scheme (obviously without navy blue). The logo is based on this center court image, and the return of the Lebron-era scripts means that the secondaries can be used again without looking out of place. The court goes back to its general appearance, with some color blocks in the free throw paint to hint at a uniform element.

13372745414_be8851eb5a_c.jpg

13372747184_872ed72fc5_c.jpg

When doing the uniforms, the only sure thing I would do was the implementation of the wine/gold color scheme. Everything else was in flux. So, I went with a combination of the Lebron era, the inaugural look, and the color blocks. So, I used the Lebron era's scripts and side panels, with the inaugural look's piping scheme, and I placed the color blocks in the side panels. This look not only tributes the history of the Cavs, but keeps some of their most identifiable elements around (without looking bland, or like Knicks clones, or whatever the hell this is).

14038140767_9e930e7dee_c.jpg

14038072818_65aa44ab39_c.jpg

Now the alternates are both gold uniforms. One in the style of the white uniform (the gold could easily become the primary home uniform, like it was in the 70's), and another as a hardwood classic to their first gold uniform.

14222387692_51d3c435ea_c.jpg

13503125413_a9292d3938_c.jpg

In the next post, the Mavs!

I wonder what the primary logo would look like if it had a basketball in the middle?!?

Love the new Cavs primary. I think for the Mavs just make the basketball horse head the primary without the shield/wordmark. I like the away Dallas uniform, but not so much the white set. I think I don't like the Mavs wordmark and font (never have). I'm with Clintau24, its just a little too similar to the current set.

Cavs look amazing! Much better than their current set. Though, i'm a fan of having the alternates be a completely different style instead of the same jersey/different colors. An alternate based on a different retro jersey would be better IMO.

I prefer Mavs current look to yours. The current colors just pop! There is no need to go retro when their success has been with the current colors(a retro alternate is all they need). ....The Houston Rockets on the other hand..You don't win back to back championships with a brand you had for nearly 30 years and then make a radical change. That's why Houston fans beg for the retro look and not so much with Dallas. They would end up begging to return to the Dirk championship days.

If you do a Rockets update. I personally crave a modernized retro look, but ill tell you this, our owner Les Alexander is all about flash and superstars, etc. He's not a fan of the retro look or red and yellow/gold colors. I think if he decides we need an update, hes just going to update the uniforms without revamping the entire brand. A retro like jersey as an alternate will be released to please the fans. That's just my opinion based on Alexanders past. He thought he was building a unique and futuristic brand with Dream, Drexler, & then Barkley and Pippen. Then again with Yao and Francis and Yao and T-mac. Now with D12 and Harden and Parsons+ potentially Melo or Love, he's going to try the unique and futuristic look again. Problem is that the look is outdated and ugly after a decade if you don't win championships.

"When the owners of the Rockets made the decision to commission the new uniforms and logo, they wanted a look that would be revolutionary—something that would set a new standard in professional sports design. So they searched for a designer from outside the traditional sports graphic branding houses." http://alfalfastudio.com/projects/houston-rockets/

Cavs look amazing! Much better than their current set. Though, i'm a fan of having the alternates be a completely different style instead of the same jersey/different colors. An alternate based on a different retro jersey would be better IMO.

I prefer Mavs current look to yours. The current colors just pop! There is no need to go retro when their success has been with the current colors(a retro alternate is all they need). ....The Houston Rockets on the other hand..You don't win back to back championships with a brand you had for nearly 30 years and then make a radical change. That's why Houston fans beg for the retro look and not so much with Dallas. They would end up begging to return to the Dirk championship days.

If you do a Rockets update. I personally crave a modernized retro look, but ill tell you this, our owner Les Alexander is all about flash and superstars, etc. He's not a fan of the retro look or red and yellow/gold colors. I think if he decides we need an update, hes just going to update the uniforms without revamping the entire brand. A retro like jersey as an alternate will be released to please the fans. That's just my opinion based on Alexanders past. He thought he was building a unique and futuristic brand with Dream, Drexler, & then Barkley and Pippen. Then again with Yao and Francis and Yao and T-mac. Now with D12 and Harden and Parsons+ potentially Melo or Love, he's going to try the unique and futuristic look again. Problem is that the look is outdated and ugly after a decade if you don't win championships.

"When the owners of the Rockets made the decision to commission the new uniforms and logo, they wanted a look that would be revolutionary—something that would set a new standard in professional sports design. So they searched for a designer from outside the traditional sports graphic branding houses." http://alfalfastudio.com/projects/houston-rockets/

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the Rockets' current look. I love the Hakeem/Sampson/Malone/championship look, and I feel like updating it is the right course of action, but I don't want them to look too much like my Hawks concept. I've tested out a few designs for them (one using template of the red/yellow alt and the classic scripts, which wound up looking too much like the Hawks concept I did, another using an over-simplified template with the classic scripts, which wound up looking bland). I'm kind of at a loss for what to do, but I can say for certain that the red/yellow color scheme will return (maybe with an accent color to help separate them from the Hawks), as will the 70's-90's script logos. However, that does not mean that I will exclude elements from the current uniforms (one of the secondaries I know I'll use is inspired by the current primary logo).

This look would give them a different feel from your Hawks concept. rockets_retro_uni_store.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, man. I was thinking about using some drop shadow on the numbers (I generally oppose drop shadow, but I think the Rockets can easily get away with it) and dumping jersey side panels.

Yeah, only the shorts had the side panels. i believe those were 71/72 season IIRC. rudy_tomjanovich_1973_01_09.jpg

The uniforms used prior to the championship days as well

130903131141-calvin-murphy-dribbles-1974

I prefer the no side panel look myself. Maybe an alt. with a side panel though.

Oh and i love drop shadow on those 71-72 jerseys. They are pretty much the same as the Lakers 72 jerseys which are some of my favorite of all time.

Lakers-Chamberlain-13%20Gold.jpg

Archived