NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

Well, the results are in and I feel ready to present the Heat!

MIAMI HEAT

So, I went with a modified version of the Bottom Middle color scheme (reddish orange/black/yellow). However, I did increase the amount of orange in the red and demoted the black to an accent color. This gives the team a brighter and more lively color scheme, rectifying the "dullness" of their current look (unfitting for a team named the "Heat" in Miami). The "flaming ball" logo has been demoted in favor of the palm tree ball logo from Rare Design's prototypes, as I felt it had more of a "Miami" look and less of a "flames" look. However, it was too good to not keep it in the system and use on a very special alternate. The font remains the same, as it has been relatively consistent since the team's inception. The court is one of the best elements of the current identity, so I kept it largely intact aside from the brightened colors and new center court logo.

13237341664_afc58b2af8_c.jpg

13237163533_669ff97815_c.jpg

Uniforms

While I like the Heat's current template, I decided to make it a little more lively. The center stripe in the panels is larger, making it more akin to the 89-99 look (which I like for its "brightness") and adding more color to the look. The updated colors allow the color scheme to "pop" more, making the most of an excellent retro-modern template (panels with minimal trim). The Nike wishbone is also fixed, without the solid color back that I detest. The road now uses a reddish orange base instead of a black base, to further the "brightening" agenda.

13237161773_17edbef176_c.jpg

13237341714_1150bd9908_c.jpg

Alternates

The first is a yellow version of the home uniform, making what a marketing department would call a "sunburn" alt. The black alt goes for the magenta/neon blue color scheme I proposed. It has a Gotham variant for the lettering/number font, and uses the neon-sign like "fireball" logo on the shorts (instead of the palm ball). I call it the "Miami Nights" alt, and it would be worn infrequently (probably only on Friday nights). I ultimately decided against using it for the primary, but on Brandon's advice, I kept it in the system to "do something bold" with the team. The final alt is a white Floridians throwback, as I've always liked them (with a wordmark to comply with league rules).

13237161053_1a147bfb79_c.jpg

14452710042_ac4f88ff46_c.jpg

13503392484_0bb598fbe8_c.jpg

Up next, a much less modern team, the Milwaukee Bucks!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome look for the Heat! I have two opinions on it though. First, I believe the side paneling could be a little more "heatish" if that makes any sense. I've never been a fan of them having "generic" side panels like what they have now on their current set, so I would love to see you come up with something a little more "flashy", I mean it is Miami after all lol. Second, I'm not really feeling the text on the red jersey being yellow, I'd like to see it maybe white with a yellow outline or something, I'm not that big on them having black in their color scheme, but overall you made a great new primary! Keep up the good work!

Not to say that I don't like these, but you've already graced the Hawks and Rockets with the red and yellow color scheme. I don't really believe we need a third team with those colors. Consider maybe replacing the yellow with orange, or maybe the red with orange. Or, you could use red, yellow and orange together. Orange would fit in well with the Heat theme/brand/name and would be a good pair with either red or yellow.

It's not that the uniforms aren't good as they are, but you just need something to differentiate the Heat from the Hawks (a team in the Heat's own division no less) and the Rockets. Adding orange is just one way to do that; there are countless others. The Miami Nights set and the fauxback are good; no changes needed there.

Not to say that I don't like these, but you've already graced the Hawks and Rockets with the red and yellow color scheme. I don't really believe we need a third team with those colors. Consider maybe replacing the yellow with orange, or maybe the red with orange. Or, you could use red, yellow and orange together. Orange would fit in well with the Heat theme/brand/name and would be a good pair with either red or yellow.

It's not that the uniforms aren't good as they are, but you just need something to differentiate the Heat from the Hawks (a team in the Heat's own division no less) and the Rockets. Adding orange is just one way to do that; there are countless others. The Miami Nights set and the fauxback are good; no changes needed there.

I had a feeling that they might get that reaction. So, I decided to go a different route by replacing reddish orange with a burnt orange shade (similar to what the current Suns use). That makes them the only team that combines orange and black, and sets them apart from the Hawks and Rockets.

Logo Sheet

14275704610_468118533b_c.jpg

Court

14275705730_eff3dd0a94_c.jpg

Home

14482448463_78b595f188_c.jpg

Road

14275682609_05e9b68ea2_c.jpg

Alternate

14460922092_4c4861280b_c.jpg

I like this a lot more than the first version. Thanks for the C+C, I appreciate it!

Next up, a double dose of the Bucks and T-Wolves!

Liking the palm-tree-and-ball logo for the Heat, as well as the uniforms. And here's another color scheme suggestion for that team: a bold, deep red (I'm thinking ruby, carmine, or lava) and a bright flame orange, with a dark midnight blue or black accent.

Overall, SOLID stuff. Looking forward to even more of the project.

The first of two teams today, the Bucks!

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

This one is based around this series I did earlier this year. but with some minor tweaks applied. I kept the red and the Irish rainbows, as I felt they could work well together if red was demoted to accent color (even more so than before). The set is based around Ren69's excellent modernizations of the classic Bango (BTW, huge thank you to Ren69 for sending me the vectors and Elwood for help on the original concept), but now with red outlines on the lettering. The Mecca Arena inspired court also receives some modification, as the red keys I originally did have now been replaced by forest green keys with the Irish rainbow pattern in the middle of the college lines (the red keys really made the court an eyesore).

14405795231_aec0d47fa6_c.jpg

14269419698_bb9c7f5dfb_c.jpg

Uniforms

This is where I've made the most changes from the original modernization concept. Waistband striping is gone, so that the panels continue uninterrupted on the uniform. The wordmarks are now arched, to give it more of a championship-era feel and accomodate the "Milwaukee" wordmark. Speaking of which, I restored the Milwaukee wordmark to the road uniform.

14429339153_22879e1455_c.jpg

14222562510_391921e805_c.jpg

Alternates

The first alt is a red version of the home uniform, much like how my original concept had an update of their current alternate. Even though red has been lowered to a level similar to the rainbow striping, it is still prominent enough to have its own alternate (with the stipulation that they do not wear it against another team with red in their color scheme, a pet peeve of mine). The second alt is a throwback to this road uniform, but with the addition of Ren69's updated buck head to give that logo some representation.

14408032164_eeac40a2b0_c.jpg

12707072894_84aa5193fa_c.jpg

In the next post, the Minnesota Timberwolves!

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

This one just felt good to do. I feel that the T-Wolves have had many great design elements in their history, just never at the same time. The '89-'95 look was too plain, but had a nice wolf logo, colors, and template. The trim patterns on the Garnett-era set were amazing, but the addition of black and the illegible font really hurt it. The current set has legible wordmarks and numbers, but removing the green accents and tree trim made it look more dull. So, I've decided to go the davidmiller5 route and combine eras with my own little adjustments along the way (p.s., check out his MLB- Combination of Eras series if you want some really nice MLB concepts)!

The first noticeable change is the color scheme. I decided that the best course of action was to update the '89-'95 color scheme, by replacing the royal blue with an ultramarine shade of deep blue (probably deeper than regular navy blue). If you're worried that this will make them look too much like my Mavs concept, I'm planning an update for that w/o any green. The next course of action was to use the alternate logo they've used since 2008, as it works well as an update of the original logo (which I prefer to the current primary). The wolf mugshot remains as a secondary, as I like it on its own and it is still stylistically linked to the rest of the set. The court is an update of what I think is one of the best 90's courts in the NBA, with room made for the website/twitter names for the team and a darker stain on the parquet floor.

13028533124_cc602613cf_c.jpg

12647789055_59c8a054dd_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where the "Combination of Eras" philosophy really takes shape. The template for these uniforms is the Garnett-era set, with the tree trim on the crewneck collars, arm trim, waistband, and hem stripe. The logos on the shorts are distributed in the fashion of the '89-'95 set. Also, the modern wordmarks and number fonts are kept, as they are the most legible that the Wolves have used since '95. Of course, these now feature the new color scheme and the mugshot logo above the NOB (I'm not adopting the new logo placement for this series, as ads would be outlawed).

12465015205_45f5e7b6d1_c.jpg

12465014755_0b99bb4251_c.jpg

The first alternate is a green version of the home uniform (with the stipulation that it can't be worn against other teams with green in their color scheme, like the Bucks, Celtics, Sonics MK II, etc.). The second alternate is a fauxback to the '89-'95 road uniform, placing the new fonts, logos, and word marks on that template. Why a fauxback? Well, I don't really like the wordmark they used back then, and I couldn't find a decent match for their number font.

12465015265_3f3ab1e43e_c.jpg

12550459785_c0ab7a8d56_c.jpg

The combination of eras, with a little spin of my own, and you have a unique and effective set! Also, because MLB: Project 30 involved some reallignment, this one will have some as well. In this series, Minnesota is finally an Eastern Conference team, playing in the Central Division. I'll post the reallignment/scheduling plan in the next entry for the series.

Up next, the New Orleans Pelicans and New York Knicks!

First of all, thanks for the shoutout. You have been doing a great job; I have been following this series, but haven't posted much.

I like the red as a trim color for the Bucks, I think it works with the Irish rainbow trim nicely. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the red jersey. In my opinion it doesn't fit so well with the rest of the set. What if you would do use the lightest green from the paneling as the alternate jersey?

I like how you combined Minnesota's eras, but I'm probably biased. I like the black, green, and silver color scheme.

award%20sig.png

The Miami Nights alternate is head and shoulders above the rest of the concepts. In my opinion, the color scheme is superior to all the others, and that font looks better than all the others too. I don't like the other concepts because I don't think the wordmarks contrast enough from the jersey color.

spacer.png

The Miami Nights alternate is head and shoulders above the rest of the concepts. In my opinion, the color scheme is superior to all the others, and that font looks better than all the others too. I don't like the other concepts because I don't think the wordmarks contrast enough from the jersey color.

Yeah, that's the plan for the next update. Miami Nights will be every night in the update!

First of all, thanks for the shoutout. You have been doing a great job; I have been following this series, but haven't posted much.

I like the red as a trim color for the Bucks, I think it works with the Irish rainbow trim nicely. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the red jersey. In my opinion it doesn't fit so well with the rest of the set. What if you would do use the lightest green from the paneling as the alternate jersey?

I like how you combined Minnesota's eras, but I'm probably biased. I like the black, green, and silver color scheme.

Thanks man. Here is a lime alt, with the appropriate trim:

14467676104_0f78b4a1d4_c.jpg

Also, here is the updated logo sheet:

14467676134_c837bb2493_c.jpg

I really have no complaints for either the Bucks or the Timberwolves. All I gotta say is that they are both well done and I especially like how well the green and the black for the T-Wolves go together. Great job as always!

Thanks. It's actually a really dark blue, but I like how it can serve both as black or blue depending on the lighting.

SFGiants58, the circular logo on the side of the shorts in the franchise's original uniforms was lower than what you presented in your Timberwolves concept.

Were you trying to match the original uniform with that, or did you purposefully raise the logo in your concept?

Archived