NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the C+C guys, I really appreciate it. Here is an update of the Toronto alternate, with the purple and white distribution flipped (I agree, this minor change does make the uniform look noticeably better)!

14671668312_862026c00d_c.jpg

Now, the team that gave me one hell of a time figuring out what to do with them, the Utah Jazz!

UTAH JAZZ

Talk about a case of neo-retro gone wrong. While I do like that the Jazz were willing to bring back the iconic J-note logo, they really messed up the execution. They not only replaced the iconic purple with a bland shade of navy blue (bonus points for darkening the green too, to eliminate anything resembling contrast), but also decided to bring back the J-note logo without any improvements (Colorwerx dissected it here). They should have at least gone the Blue Jays route and given it a proper modernization before reinstating it. Also, aside from a cheap primary recolor, they ditched any connection the identity had to Utah. If they were still the New Orleans Jazz (an idea for a future series, maybe), this would make sense, but they're not. They have been the Utah Jazz for 35 years, odd identity and all. My goal was to balance the "Jazz" name/updated J-note logo with the western/mountain elements of the '96-'04 set. That way, it can both represent the name and location.

The new color scheme brings back purple as the primary color (brighter/more saturated than the Pelicans, who use the old Jazz color scheme exactly), but also brightens the green and replaces the gold with a powder blue shade. The powder blue shade not only adds an "icy" element to the set, but it is also derived from the '96-'04 set, bridging the gap between the two. On updating the J-note logo, I started out with a cleanup performed by logoman that addressed Colorwerx's issues with the logo. From there, I kept only the J-note. The rest of the letters were replaced with less abstract letters from a western-esque font (alluding to the '96-'04 wordmark, again updating the original while alluding to the "western" look of the later sets). The mid-serifs carry on into the music lines, as well as on the J-note. The isolated J-note is now a secondary, and the mountain roundel is now a tertiary. The court is similar to the late-90's court in terms of its color distribution, with the college lines forming an accent mark and the tertiary logo breaking up the space in between the baseline wordmarks. A stain pattern goes in the lanes, to accentuate a "U" in the design.

14663911622_8bd8f5d3cf_c.jpg

14684119883_bd56b6fe07_c.jpg

Uniforms

Now here is where some of the more tricky stuff was done. Alongside the modernized J-note, I've replaced the 1-color version of the Knicks' font that just looks rec-league in its execution (even though the original J-note uniforms had other features that call to mind rec-leagues, like screen-printed lettering and numbers). Now, it is a "westernized" version of the Sand-Knit varsity font (the actual font of the old J-note uniforms). This is akin to what the Texas Rangers did with the MLB standard block, and I think it works for the Jazz. The paneling uses a similar scheme to the current uniforms, but it gives more room for each color and ends with the classic mountain pattern on the shorts. Using outlines, I've incorporated them into the paneling and have utilized them as "shorts diamonds" to end the side panels, like I did with the Magic. The v-necks and arm trim remain, as they add to the colorful nature of the look while not making it too complicated or out-of-place. The road uniform is obviously purple, and has the "Utah" wordmark from the primary after the J-note. I generally believe that including the location name on the road is the way to go, and that was my way of getting it on there without making a "Utah" wordmark in the J-note's style.

14663911402_e72ed043eb_c.jpg

14661051461_f42306c289_c.jpg

Alternate

The alternate is a kelly green recolor of the home uniform, as I really like the current green alts (my favorite uniform in that set). I also thought it looked a little better than a powder blue alt, as I really want that color to be primarily associated with my Clippers concept.

14663911542_766d41a496_c.jpg

While this may not be my best work (I don't expect it will go down nearly as well as the Raptors did), I think I was able to find a good way to balance the two best looks the Jazz have had. This is what I wished they did in 2010, just taking the J-note set, modernizing it, and integrating it with the western/mountain aesthetic of the later Stockon/Malone days.

Up next, the Washington Wizards name that will be revealed with the concept!

The powder blue and green pairing will take some getting used to for me, but I think you did the best possible with that color scheme. Love the shorts on all the unis as well. Also I'm surprised as too how much good that small modification to the note did for that logo. Well done.

The Raptors look really nice. The purple and red is much better than the black and red, IMO. It's much more unique.

I like the idea behind the Jazz. The colors look really nice together, and I like the westernizing of the font. However, the inconsistencies are killing me. The home is good, as the wordmark and numbers are purple with green trim. They're mismatched on the road and alt, though. If you make the numbers on those white with sky blue trim they'll look a lot better, I think. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the J-note on the shorts. With the wordmark on the jersey and the mountains on the shorts, it's just too much.

Thanks for the C+C guys. Here is the update of the Utah Jazz.

UTAH JAZZ - UPDATE

The court now has non-italic baseline wordmarks, and they are now white with powder blue outlines.

14490771478_5198d00dba_c.jpg

Uniforms

I've made the color/trim of the numbers and wordmarks consistent, and I shrank the wordmarks a little bit so that they would better fit on the uniform. The J-note is off the shorts, as it cluttered the set somewhat.

14487461829_716676d4c4_c.jpg

14674122815_d37b5d85f2_c.jpg

Alternate

14487491618_37cb1d4c25_c.jpg

Once I finish with Washington, I'll post compilations of all the primaries, courts, home uniforms, road uniforms, alternates, and throwbacks.

Now, the final team!

WASHINGTON WIZARDS FEDERALS

Yes, the Wizards get a much needed name change. The Wizards name has always felt gimmicky to me, and it really doesn't fit with their current identity. I didn't want to bring back the Bullets name, because I felt that that didn't go with the identity all that much either. So, I went for a name originally proposed by Conrad (the font guy): the Washington Federals. I can't believe that name is not more popular as an alternative to Wizards. Not only does it tie in more with the identity, but it also fits with the naming motif of the teams that play in DC proper, joining teams like the MLB's Nationals and the NHL's Capitols. While "Feds" may have some negative connotations in culture, at least it doesn't promote the toilet humor-esque nickname "Wiz" and it's not a KKK rank (the supposed reason why the team ditched the proposed "Dragons" name in 1997). Conrad made a great uppercase script for the name too, which I used in my primary logo and on the baselines of the court. The primary is now the Washington Monument ball logo, with the city/team name at the bottom. The rest of the logo package remains the same, as I really like the whole modernized 1970's look. The court is the same as the current one, but with the addition of the Washington Monument ball at center court, and the team name in the baselines.

13398992604_b00a5141fa_c.jpg

13398630445_8042765c56_c.jpg

Uniforms

I may be in the minority here, but I love the current Washington uniforms (especially after they eliminated the back stripe). However, I did take it upon myself to fix a few issues I had with the uniforms. The numbers now have a double outline to remove the need for silver accents (on both sides). Also, the red stripes along the side stripe on the shorts now end in a red waistband stripe (with the main stripe running through it). That way, these stripes actually lead to something that fits within the striping scheme of the set. The back logo patch is unchanged, as this series features the NBA logo on the front, not the back, and I kind of like that position for the logo, notch and all. The name on the home uniform is a lowercase "federals" wordmark I first showed off in February. The Washington Monument forms the "l", and the ball is over the "d" in the logo (the hand cluttered it up too much).

13398992134_4e7767ef2d_c.jpg

13398632515_418cacb391_c.jpg

Alternate

The alternate, like the one supposedly coming out next season, is a navy blue version of the home uniform. I thought about putting the "washington" wordmark on it, but I felt that it would be better to promote the "federals" wordmark and name on the alternate as well.

13398992334_b70881d4fc_c.jpg

Now that's all the teams! Up next, the logo, court, and uniform compilations!

The only thing that bothers me is the court.

I like the center court logo.

I just don't like the two-toned look of it, it's too distracting, and think the paint should be all blue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much this Court but remove everything Wizards and use Federals.

original.jpg

Now, the final team!

WASHINGTON WIZARDS FEDERALS

Yes, the Wizards get a much needed name change. The Wizards name has always felt gimmicky to me, and it really doesn't fit with their current identity. I didn't want to bring back the Bullets name, because I felt that that didn't go with the identity all that much either. So, I went for a name originally proposed by Conrad (the font guy): the Washington Federals. I can't believe that name is not more popular as an alternative to Wizards. Not only does it tie in more with the identity, but it also fits with the naming motif of the teams that play in DC proper, joining teams like the MLB's Nationals and the NHL's Capitols. While "Feds" may have some negative connotations in culture, at least it doesn't promote the toilet humor-esque nickname "Wiz" and it's not a KKK rank (the supposed reason why the team ditched the proposed "Dragons" name in 1997). Conrad made a great uppercase script for the name too, which I used in my primary logo and on the baselines of the court. The primary is now the Washington Monument ball logo, with the city/team name at the bottom. The rest of the logo package remains the same, as I really like the whole modernized 1970's look. The court is the same as the current one, but with the addition of the Washington Monument ball at center court, and the team name in the baselines.

13398992604_b00a5141fa_c.jpg

13398630445_8042765c56_c.jpg

Uniforms

I may be in the minority here, but I love the current Washington uniforms (especially after they eliminated the back stripe). However, I did take it upon myself to fix a few issues I had with the uniforms. The numbers now have a double outline to remove the need for silver accents (on both sides). Also, the red stripes along the side stripe on the shorts now end in a red waistband stripe (with the main stripe running through it). That way, these stripes actually lead to something that fits within the striping scheme of the set. The back logo patch is unchanged, as this series features the NBA logo on the front, not the back, and I kind of like that position for the logo, notch and all. The name on the home uniform is a lowercase "federals" wordmark I first showed off in February. The Washington Monument forms the "l", and the ball is over the "d" in the logo (the hand cluttered it up too much).

13398992134_4e7767ef2d_c.jpg

13398632515_418cacb391_c.jpg

Alternate

The alternate, like the one supposedly coming out next season, is a navy blue version of the home uniform. I thought about putting the "washington" wordmark on it, but I felt that it would be better to promote the "federals" wordmark and name on the alternate as well.

13398992334_b70881d4fc_c.jpg

Now that's all the teams! Up next, the logo, court, and uniform compilations!

ani-chuck_norris-thumbs_up.gif

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Archived