NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

PHOENIX SUNS - UPDATE

This may be the first in a series of updates I plan to do, mostly of teams I was unhappy with originally, teams getting new uniforms this season, etc. When the Suns released their new sleeved alternate (which I think would be nice if it didn't have sleeves, used purple instead of black, and had a better number font), I thought back to my concept and rethought some of the choices I made with it. I felt it could really be improved if I used a more rounded western font, like the new sleeved alt (and the 73-92 look I intended to modernize originally) does. With the new font as my primary directive, I set about tweaking my original.

LOGOS & COURT:

I switched the font from a modified version of the Texas Rangers' NOB font to the University of Wyoming's current font. I felt it preserved much of the western feeling of the 73-92 set, but with a better weight and a more even serif format. I've also changed up the logo sheet template, now with mesh behind the uniform wordmarks and an examination of lettering application (this series doesn't use Rev30 mesh sewn numbers, but proper twill). The secondary has some more detail on the head to make it look less like a swan and the tertiary is now properly symmetrical. The court is much the same as the previous court, albeit on a new template (Conrad's template) and with logos adjusting to fit with the new font.

16478854229_f7c4342335_b.jpg

16663619861_98431b842a_b.jpg

UNIFORMS

Aside from the new lettering font, I've made a couple of more changes. I modified the Wyoming number font to fit more with the lettering font (more blocky, less of the traditional "circus" font), and used the Wyoming lettering font for the NOB as it's legible, and it's better than using a standard block/block with serifs font like I used before. The secondary has been added to the waistband, as I felt it needed more presence in the identity, and I've fixed the outlining error on my original road uniform. The alternate is, again, an orange recoloring of the home uniform. Also of note, I did not move the NBA logo to the back, as I don't really like it there (makes the numbers too low) and I re-sized the wordmarks/numbers to reflect more realistic proportions.

16664996655_09ca5e28de_b.jpg

16045068023_3345b19168_c.jpg

It's a matter of taking more of what worked in the wonderful 68-92 set, and giving it a neo-classical spin. C+C is welcome, as usual.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always been a big fan of the western letting on the 1970's and 1980's Suns uniforms, and welcome the choice of numbers that match the theme. Also, it's retro enough to please an old fan like myself but modern enough to not look dated or bland.

Beautiful. Absolutely stunning. Ugh, this is what the NBA needs. Beautiful colors. Only thing is that i'd remove the secondary logo from the floor.

Not sure if it is allowed, but on the road and alternate, why not try the name on back in color outlined in white to match the uniform? Does the NBA not allow it due to ineligibility?

Love some of your jersey concepts SFGiants58 on some of the NBA teams but however I don't think the Lakers logo should be changed it should stay. Are you ever going to do more jersey concepts on the NBA teams in then future?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the first update. I replaced navy blue with dark grey, and dumped the roundels in favor of thunderclouds. While I tried to make a thunderhead, it just wound up looking like a grey blob. The clouds may be a little cartoony, but I think they work with Mister Vicious' wordmarks (the "n" and "k" make nice lightning bolts). The court has been updated to reflect the new logos and color scheme, and the baseline wordmarks are now white with orange outlines to better stand out against the grey paint.

14544641944_3407814e61_c.jpg

14359589358_2e03840c30_c.jpg

Uniforms

The lightning bolts are far more subtle, in that they follow from the bottom of the paneling. That way, they are more subtle and don't take attention away from the wordmarks. By updating it this way, the spirit of the original design remains without making the team look generic. Because grey is the color of the road uniform, the alt is now orange.

14359519690_2b76e49d8c_c.jpg

14359519600_0cbd84c98c_c.jpg

Alternate

14359519820_87b55ca9fe_c.jpg

Up next, the Orlando Magic!

Love these! They're so much more appropriate for the "storm" theme that the name conjures up than what the team currently wears irl.

• 1 month later...

UTAH JAZZ - UPDATE 2

This next update was something that came to me when I was working on a few things for another series, which involved the colors scheme of the '96-'04 Jazz identity. When I first released my Jazz concept (and its mini-update lower on the page), I had the goal of modernizing the J-note logo set while incorporating elements from the popular 1990's set. Looking back at it, I feel that I could have done a much better job at blending the two eras, especially with regards to the color scheme and the incorporation of the mountains. With a more appropriate blending of eras as my new objective, I set about tweaking my original.

LOGOS & COURT:

I switched the color scheme from purple/kelly green/light blue to purple/light blue/copper. Not only does it capture more of the '96-'04 feeling, but it also gels more with the whole western/mountains feeling I wanted to invoke (it also helps that many a jazz instrument is made from brass or copper, tying the nickname into the color scheme without resorting to Mardi Gras colors). The logos have all been changed to reflect this new color scheme, with light blue now occupying the secondary position behind purple, and copper acting as an accent color. The court also receives a recoloring and a move to the new template.

18057825790_f776fb45db_b.jpg

18245561575_5d5ce212ca_b.jpg

UNIFORMS

Apart from the new color scheme, I've adjusted the uniforms even more. I re-sized the wordmarks/numbers to be more realistic, and I redid the side panels. Instead of leading into the mountains on the side of the shorts, the mountains are now sublimated into the side panels, which is not only less messy, but more of a subdued tribute to the more pronounced '96-'04 mountains. The secondary has been added to the waistband. The alternate is now a light blue recoloring of the home uniform, and I have added a Hardwood Classics Alt based on the team's 1981-'84 green road uniforms. I didn't want to completely remove green from the identity, and I thought a copper alt would be too garish, so this felt like an excellent opportunity.

18241816552_3150b90064_b.jpg

18219098286_98ba67e163_b.jpg

I'm not entirely sure that I improved upon my original, but I do feel that the new color scheme and uniform set really does a better job of blending both the J-note and '96-'04 sets in a tasteful fashion. C+C is welcome, as usual.

Here is the first update. I replaced navy blue with dark grey, and dumped the roundels in favor of thunderclouds. While I tried to make a thunderhead, it just wound up looking like a grey blob. The clouds may be a little cartoony, but I think they work with Mister Vicious' wordmarks (the "n" and "k" make nice lightning bolts). The court has been updated to reflect the new logos and color scheme, and the baseline wordmarks are now white with orange outlines to better stand out against the grey paint.

14544641944_3407814e61_c.jpg

14359589358_2e03840c30_c.jpg

Uniforms

The lightning bolts are far more subtle, in that they follow from the bottom of the paneling. That way, they are more subtle and don't take attention away from the wordmarks. By updating it this way, the spirit of the original design remains without making the team look generic. Because grey is the color of the road uniform, the alt is now orange.

14359519690_2b76e49d8c_c.jpg

14359519600_0cbd84c98c_c.jpg

Alternate

14359519820_87b55ca9fe_c.jpg

Up next, the Orlando Magic!

Love these! They're so much more appropriate for the "storm" theme that the name conjures up than what the team currently wears irl.

HOLY CRAP!

I really like your changes to the Jazz. That color scheme is beautiful. My only suggestion would be to enlarge the mountains on the shorts a little, so they go to the edge of the side panel. Right now they're kind of floating, and it bugs me.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE. Wow. Everything.

I feel like you got into my head and created these concepts based on my thoughts on how the league should look.

Suns- Absolutely incredible. That's exactly what they should be wearing. My only gripe is that your Phoenix bird sort of looks like it has normal wings. Maybe a little flame to the edges?

Thunder- Getting a real 70s Semi-Pro vibe, but that's not a bad thing. That scheme works for them fantastically.

sig.png

• 1 month later...

I really like your changes to the Jazz. That color scheme is beautiful. My only suggestion would be to enlarge the mountains on the shorts a little, so they go to the edge of the side panel. Right now they're kind of floating, and it bugs me.

Thanks man. I think I've rectified it by enlarging the mountains:

19474151712_8acb3f2617_b.jpg

19480478745_6c2c6cd742_b.jpg

In addition, here's a fix for a team that updated this offseason!

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS - UPDATE 2

This update was less of me being unhappy with my original Sixers concept, and more with responding to the reveal of the Sixers' new uniform set. My original Sixers concept came surprisingly close to what the Sixers unveiled last month, what with the update of the 1971-78 uniform design and the tweak of the primary logo (read: I liked what they did). However, I wanted to deal with several issues presented by that set, like the lack of outlined wordmarks/numbers (with numbers in the Knicks' font), "PHILA" on the home uniform, and the inconsistencies in templates. I also felt I should work towards refreshing more of the teams' identity, especially in regards to the primary. With these goals in mind, I set about tweaking my original.

LOGOS & COURT:

The most obvious change here is the new primary logo, a rendering of Independence Hall in Philadelphia placed within a star. I thought my cleaned-up basketball roundel, while a good update of a historical logo, was probably best suited as a secondary. So, I decided to break away from the roundel problem and use a star as the base for the Independence Hall logo, with slight hints at a striping pattern (as it ties in well with the whole "Spirit of '76" ethos of the identity). The "76" appears upon the clock face, and the classic "76ers" script re-appears on the text.

My previous primary and the cartoon Ben Franklin remain on as secondaries. I kept the colors from my original concept (dark royal/red), but added a darker red for the primary's stripes and kept navy/silver around for the Ben Franklin logo.

The court now features the new primary at its center, with the old secondary moving to the lanes. College lines remain, in spite of the NBA's apparent ban on them appearing in new courts.

19454441036_708b162ce4_b.jpg

19292921868_58ddff19af_b.jpg

UNIFORMS:

I decided to make a few more adjustments, both in response to the released uniforms and to my tastes. "Sixers" returns to the home uniform, and red remains the base color of the road uniform (as a fan of the 1980's set, I prefer the Sixers to wear red road uniforms). I've replaced the Knicks' number font with the Wilson Varsity Block font (MLB Block 2 by Conrad, for those curious), which is a better likeness to the Sixers' old block font. I've adjusted the star pattern on the side panels to match the new jerseys' side panels, albeit with the "76ers" roundel on the left side. That way, the jersey appears more balanced while still retaining the 13 stars in the panels, and the team name appears on the jerseys instead of the shorts. On the shorts, the panels now feature a more flag-like edge (inspired by the new red alt) which accommodates for the new primary beneath the panels.

The alternate now uses the updated "PHILA" wordmark (I didn't care for my "PHILA" wordmark from my original concept). I opted to relegate "PHILA" to the alternate, as I wanted to keep it in the identity, but I'm not a big enough fan of it to use it on anything more than an alternate. The Hardwood Classics Alt is the same as in the original concept, albeit with more accurate shorts panels and wordmark/number sizing.

19480473775_0ef91e68ef_b.jpg

18859873323_4ac41b4cb1_b.jpg

I'm not entirely sure that I improved upon my original or on the uniforms that the Sixers released, but I do feel that I've made more of an effort to update the team's look and incorporate elements from the current Sixers' identity into my concept. C+C is welcome, as usual.

Archived