NBA Project 32 - Timberwolves Update

SFGiants58

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the C+C guys, I'll update the Warriors within the next couple of days.

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS - MK II

The Sonics make a triumphant return in this series. They enter the league as an expansion team, along with the Kansas City Diesels. While these Sonics have the name, color scheme, copyrights to the logos, and retired numbers of the old Sonics (and even have the old banners and trophies, as well as "Est. 1966" apparel like the MLB's Washington Nationals have "Est. 1905" apparel), they do not possess the records of the old Sonics. This avoids a NuBrowns/Hornets Mistaken/Horncats situation that only serves to screw with history.

The concept is an update of my previous Sonics concept. I did that one nearly 6 months ago, and looking back on that concept, I felt I could do better. I really dislike the double outlines I did, and I'm really not a big fan of how I modernized the original skyline logo (only making new shapes in the existing logo, and shoehorning in a jet/white contrail that just served to make the logo too busy). So, I decided to start from the ground up with the skyline logo. I used my modified version of the Sounders' Space Needle logo as the center seam in the skyline, and assembled the other buildings from my original update to give the impression of perspective. The contrail and jet return, but now the contrail matches the one on the tertiary logo and wraps around the Space Needle, leading to a outline-free and smaller Boeing 2707. The court has been updated to reflect the new logos in the set and the end of double-outlined text (I kept the Amazon Arena name, because of its alliterative appeal).

14436992170_9ab8e24896_c.jpg

14608419374_e1985977fd_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where I made a few more changes. The double-outlined paneling is now single-outline, as is the text. The collar (now a crew-neck to better fit with the front panel) and arm trim have been simplified to match the contrail and contrast with the front/side panels. Shorts panels now flare out, to look less bland (it does bring them a little closer to the dreaded Shultz look, but it's preferable to the simple panels of my first modernization). You could also argue that these are supposed to represent a supersonic jet's stabilizers. I tried a bunch of other number fonts, but I decided to keep the Red Sox number font for the same reasons I originally used it: the sharp edges on the numbers and curved 7 allow the font to look both retro and futuristic at the same time. The new logo goes on the shorts in the place of the original modernized logo.

14007659381_de3ca73478_c.jpg

14011302384_258e292090_c.jpg

Alternates

The first alternate is a yellow recolor of the home uniform, while the second is my original throwback uniform from the first modernization (the superhero wordmark and Northwestern Stripe panels are a really underrated look IMHO).

14011302064_711d9835b9_c.jpg

12250208384_c45e50966d_c.jpg

If you guys prefer the original modernization concept, I totally understand. But I feel that taking the lessons I've learned from doing 28 teams since then and applying them to the first one has really improved the look and made it more of a genuine modernization than just copying and pasting newer elements onto an older look. I find that I can stand behind this look a lot more than its previous iteration, and that it stacks up with the work I've done throughout the rest of this series.

Up next, the Toronto Raptors!

Ive seen those Supersonics on the Internet YEARS AGO!!! is it same to say P32 that you did these years ago?

No, my name isn't P32, it's SFGiants58 (look at the name above my avatar). I did the original concept six months ago, and I included the link to it in my writeup of this concept and in my signature. I apologize for getting defensive about it, I just misread your post. However, you might have seen something that's been on my flickr for some time now (that I meant to include in the original modernization thread):

8381896873_6c192c5ebc_c.jpg

I posted this back in January 2013 to my flickr page. This is when I was still using Inkscape for my uniform concepts (I had yet to move to Photoshop with Tim O'Brien's template). As you can see, this is a little more primitive, but the basics from my current concept are all still there.

One thing I ask though. Don't be bland with the Jazz, please mix it up and change their logo or something (Or you can even change their name). Just go all out. I can't wait to see what you have for them (Utah homer baby!)

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

I have to admit I don't really like the Sonics. The general idea is good--I like the updated primary logo with the jet and the uniforms--but the execution is off IMO. The font used in the logos seems outdated to me, and when paired with the old school Red Sox number font, it's too much of a clash of time periods. The basketball seams on the secondary logos are too thin, and the double outline on the S in the second secondary isn't found anywhere else in the set--one yellow outline would look better. The tertiary is unnecessary to me--it's like a second primary logo. I would get rid of it. With the uniforms, the only issue I have is the collar and cuffs. The triple stripe clashes with the front/side stripe, especially since the colors are reversed. A double stripe would look better IMO.

Sorry if that seems like a lot, but this series has been really good, so I want to make sure you get all the teams just right!

Ive seen those Supersonics on the Internet YEARS AGO!!! is it same to say P32 that you did these years ago?

No, my name isn't P32, it's SFGiants58 (look at the name above my avatar). I did the original concept six months ago, and I included the link to it in my writeup of this concept and in my signature. I apologize for getting defensive about it, I just misread your post. However, you might have seen something that's been on my flickr for some time now (that I meant to include in the original modernization thread):

I posted this back in January 2013 to my flickr page. This is when I was still using Inkscape for my uniform concepts (I had yet to move to Photoshop with Tim O'Brien's template). As you can see, this is a little more primitive, but the basics from my current concept are all still there.

P32 = Project 32. Just made an observation that these look similar to ones ive seen done or posted a couple of years ago(give or take a year).

shado_logo.gif

P32 = Project 32. Just made an observation that these look similar to ones ive seen done or posted a couple of years ago(give or take a year).

No need to fret, I simply misread your post. I apologize if my post seemed like it was attacking you, I just made a simple mistake and got testy/defensive and lashed out. I try not to do that, and I just slipped up really badly. Thank you.

I have to admit I don't really like the Sonics. The general idea is good--I like the updated primary logo with the jet and the uniforms--but the execution is off IMO. The font used in the logos seems outdated to me, and when paired with the old school Red Sox number font, it's too much of a clash of time periods. The basketball seams on the secondary logos are too thin, and the double outline on the S in the second secondary isn't found anywhere else in the set--one yellow outline would look better. The tertiary is unnecessary to me--it's like a second primary logo. I would get rid of it. With the uniforms, the only issue I have is the collar and cuffs. The triple stripe clashes with the front/side stripe, especially since the colors are reversed. A double stripe would look better IMO.

Sorry if that seems like a lot, but this series has been really good, so I want to make sure you get all the teams just right!

I've been trying a couple of fonts for that, and I think I'm going to update them soon. Would something like this be a good idea?

14636613034_ab55054d37.jpg

Thanks for the C+C guys, I'll update the Warriors within the next couple of days.

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS - MK II

The Sonics make a triumphant return in this series. They enter the league as an expansion team, along with the Kansas City Diesels. While these Sonics have the name, color scheme, copyrights to the logos, and retired numbers of the old Sonics (and even have the old banners and trophies, as well as "Est. 1966" apparel like the MLB's Washington Nationals have "Est. 1905" apparel), they do not possess the records of the old Sonics. This avoids a NuBrowns/Hornets Mistaken/Horncats situation that only serves to screw with history.

The concept is an update of my previous Sonics concept. I did that one nearly 6 months ago, and looking back on that concept, I felt I could do better. I really dislike the double outlines I did, and I'm really not a big fan of how I modernized the original skyline logo (only making new shapes in the existing logo, and shoehorning in a jet/white contrail that just served to make the logo too busy). So, I decided to start from the ground up with the skyline logo. I used my modified version of the Sounders' Space Needle logo as the center seam in the skyline, and assembled the other buildings from my original update to give the impression of perspective. The contrail and jet return, but now the contrail matches the one on the tertiary logo and wraps around the Space Needle, leading to a outline-free and smaller Boeing 2707. The court has been updated to reflect the new logos in the set and the end of double-outlined text (I kept the Amazon Arena name, because of its alliterative appeal).

14436992170_9ab8e24896_c.jpg

14608419374_e1985977fd_c.jpg

Uniforms

Here is where I made a few more changes. The double-outlined paneling is now single-outline, as is the text. The collar (now a crew-neck to better fit with the front panel) and arm trim have been simplified to match the contrail and contrast with the front/side panels. Shorts panels now flare out, to look less bland (it does bring them a little closer to the dreaded Shultz look, but it's preferable to the simple panels of my first modernization). You could also argue that these are supposed to represent a supersonic jet's stabilizers. I tried a bunch of other number fonts, but I decided to keep the Red Sox number font for the same reasons I originally used it: the sharp edges on the numbers and curved 7 allow the font to look both retro and futuristic at the same time. The new logo goes on the shorts in the place of the original modernized logo.

14007659381_de3ca73478_c.jpg

14011302384_258e292090_c.jpg

Alternates

The first alternate is a yellow recolor of the home uniform, while the second is my original throwback uniform from the first modernization (the superhero wordmark and Northwestern Stripe panels are a really underrated look IMHO).

14011302064_711d9835b9_c.jpg

12250208384_c45e50966d_c.jpg

If you guys prefer the original modernization concept, I totally understand. But I feel that taking the lessons I've learned from doing 28 teams since then and applying them to the first one has really improved the look and made it more of a genuine modernization than just copying and pasting newer elements onto an older look. I find that I can stand behind this look a lot more than its previous iteration, and that it stacks up with the work I've done throughout the rest of this series.

Up next, the Toronto Raptors!

Although I've never even been to that part of the country, I miss the Sonics. They should have their team back.

Nice updates.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

That font is really generic. Looking at the concept again, maybe if you just took the original font and condensed it a little (not scaling it, but editing each letter) it would look better.

Also, on the part of the jet stream to the right of the Space Needle, I would make it solid green. The g/y/g would be impossible to create on a lot of applications.

So, here is the first of two updates for today.

SAN FRANCISCO WARRIORS - UPDATE

I've decided to add yellow keys to the Warriors court and remove the outlines on all "SF" logos. I've also removed the white parts of the road uniforms panels to provide more contrast. I've also tried out what it would look like if I used the cable car numbers on the gold alt. While I prefer the normal version, I thought it was interesting to see what it looked like.

14453465670_555ee70073_c.jpg

14617120296_9f0be5044f_c.jpg

Road Uniform

14453699267_b2134eecc4_c.jpg

Alt Uniform - Cable Car Version

14623870966_8ac9d99396_c_d.jpg

Next update, the Supersonics!

Update #2

SEATTLE SUPERSONICS - UPDATE

This one was actually simpler than I thought it would be. Instead of replacing the old font, I condensed it. That way, it better fits within the logos and on the front panels. The secondary has been tweaked to remove the double outline and to thicken the seams, and the tertiary has been replaced with a textless version of the primary. The court is adjusted to fit with the condensed font and the tweaked logos.

14616697086_97416f9aa4_c.jpg

14637520574_1d014ccda5_c.jpg

Uniforms

The uniforms now use two-layer collar/arm striping with the top color representing the number color and the bottom color representing the number outline. The Red Sox number font has been dumped in favor of a modified version of the Clippers' number font (mostly just cleanup of the "4", the worst looking numeral in that font). That way, the fonts match more closely, and don't create a clash of eras (also, that font really shouldn't extend to any sport other than baseball). Don't worry, I'm planning a Clippers update that replaces that font with something more fitting with the baseball-style wordmarks and nautical theme. The condensed lettering also appears in the panels now, allowing for more legibility/a cleaner look.

14453029500_0a23b4521f_c.jpg

14453276577_a9347896e5_c_d.jpg

Alternate

14453082908_0bfe073841_c.jpg

Once again, thank you guys for the support and the C+C, I could never have come this far without you guys.

Up next, we walk the dinosaur with the Toronto Raptors!

Archived