Atlanta Braves New Stadium

teddthebucfan

The Braves have released their renderings of the new ballpark

Highlights:

• 6,000 parking spaces for a 41,000 seat ballpark and no Public Transportation
  • A complex of suburban shops, offices, and residences (Because it worked so well for Glendale)
  • A ballpark seemingly purposefully turned to obstruct any possible view of Atlanta.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking area. All that walkablity and you only have to fight through two hours of traffic to enjoy it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Looks like the batters will be facing south, which is a little interesting. If it weren't for that second deck in left-field, you might be able to see Atlanta's skyline (though I think the tall buildings near Cobb Galleria/Cobb Energy Center would block any views of Atlanta to begin with).

I don't mind the lack of public transportation. Marta had 50 years to get a train adjacent to Turner Field (and Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium) instead of a mile walk and dependent on shuttles. And the city had 50 years to develop something near the ballparks.

I really enjoy the sketchings done when the show new stadiums being built and I wonder who does them. If there was one like this done for the new Comiskey Park when it was opening, I would really consider purchasing a print, if available. As for the stadium itself, it reminds of Target Field in many ways, how these new "retro" style ballparks like the same angular awnings. What I would wonder to see though is the attendance of these games when the sultry summer temps kick in. Despite being the supposed team of the South, I don't think I ever saw a regular season game where Turner Field was anywere near capacity and I'd anticipate the new stadium having the same issue.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

<p>

The Braves have released their renderings of the new ballpark

Highlights:

• 6,000 parking spaces for a 41,000 seat ballpark and no Public Transportation
  • A complex of suburban shops, offices, and residences (Because it worked so well for Glendale)
  • A ballpark seemingly purposefully turned to obstruct any possible view of Atlanta.

So the Braves have joined the White Sox and Mets as the teams who've, when asked why their stadiums face away from the downtown skylines, told their fans to go fornicate themselves.

I'll bet you a chocolate malt that most or all of the ancillary development is delayed indefinitely and becomes parking spaces. Ballpark Village.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I"m not sure Turner Field qualifies as a "retro park".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So the Braves have joined the White Sox and Mets as the teams who've, when asked why their stadiums face away from the downtown skylines, told their fans to go fornicate themselves.

Can't speak for the White Sox, but the Mets' park faces away from the skyline because the skyline is exactly due west from the ballpark. So, no.

They did make sure the concourses and some outdoor eating areas have views of Manhattan, though.

Why not?
There's not much retro about it other than a red brick exterior. It's pretty free of retro contrivances.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why not?
There's not much retro about it other than a red brick exterior. It's pretty free of retro contrivances.
Coors Field is considered a "retro" park and is pretty much free of contrivances too outside of a higher wall in RF. Turner might not be as quirky as Arlington or San Francisco but it's considered retro. If a ballpark has a brick facade and dark green or blue seats, it's retro.

The word loses all meaning when applied so broadly and sloppily. Miller Park has a brick exterior and greenish seats, but is in every other way - every significant way - a terribly modern ballpark.

So what's the possible justification from whomever called the new Yankee Stadium "retro"?

Archived