Atlanta Braves New Stadium

teddthebucfan

Why do the Braves need a new park anyways? Their current one is only 18 years old.

Because 18 is the new 40.
Then what is the actual 50 multipurpose :censored:hole the A's play in? I mean in the time the A's have taken to try and get a new park the Braves have now built 2...

Unfortunately baseball doesn't give 2 sh!#s about the A's and that whole situation

No kidding. Maybe they can dismantle Turner Field and ship it to the Bay Area... it may be the only way the A's get a new ballpark. It's how they got a new spring training stadium in Mesa.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoy the sketchings done when the show new stadiums being built and I wonder who does them. If there was one like this done for the new Comiskey Park when it was opening, I would really consider purchasing a print, if available. As for the stadium itself, it reminds of Target Field in many ways, how these new "retro" style ballparks like the same angular awnings. What I would wonder to see though is the attendance of these games when the sultry summer temps kick in. Despite being the supposed team of the South, I don't think I ever saw a regular season game where Turner Field was anywere near capacity and I'd anticipate the new stadium having the same issue.

You'd love the models and drawings page at stadiumpage.com. He has a nice sketch of New Comiskey posted there.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/Comiskey_G.html

Wow, that's a great find. Thanks for looking out!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The stated reason for Comiskey II facing southeast is so it could share the same address as the original park across the street, 333 W. 35th St. If the park was turned to have the outfield face downtown, the address would have been on either Shields or 37th St.

That's specious. As if Richie Daley wouldn't have given them special dispensation? The whole idea of a "stadium authority" is just a big workaround in the first place. Besides, having an odd-numbered address across the street from another odd-numbered address sounds wrong.

I don't suppose any of this matters now that the projects are gone. That was always the issue with the park's orientation.

I don't think the projects had anything to do with it because they were due east of the park. They were off in the distance in left and center. If they turned it to face downtown, the projects would have at most been in RF. They would have had less of a view of the Taylor homes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So Atlanta taxpayers are going to have to pay for a new football stadium, baseball stadium, and a new soccer stadium all around the same time?

I couldn't imagine how frustrating that is for Atlanta residents. I don't know much about how this all works with stadium budgets, so if anybody can give me information on how all this works, I would really appreciate it. All I know is that in Tampa, you do see many signs in Tampa that are against paying for the stadium.

To be honest, it's kinda rare to see stadiums have such a short lifespan. Especially with teams like the Vikings, Rays, Athletics, etc. that are in deep aerate need of a stadium, and either took forever to get one confirmed, or have yet to get stadium permission.

Not saying its ok for all these taxes to go to stadiums but the football and Soccer Stadiums are one in the same so that helps a bit.

Here's a little guide to how each stadium is being paid for:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/comparing-braves-falcons-stadium-deals/nbsX6/

Long and short: Braves kicking in a little over half, Falcons/NFL/Personal Seat Licenses kicking in a little over 80%. The rest coming from bonds/hotels aka public tax dollars for both projects.

And the age of each stadium when they leave: Braves 20, Falcons 25.

So Atlanta taxpayers are going to have to pay for a new football stadium, baseball stadium, and a new soccer stadium all around the same time?

I couldn't imagine how frustrating that is for Atlanta residents. I don't know much about how this all works with stadium budgets, so if anybody can give me information on how all this works, I would really appreciate it. All I know is that in Tampa, you do see many signs in Tampa that are against paying for the stadium.

To be honest, it's kinda rare to see stadiums have such a short lifespan. Especially with teams like the Vikings, Rays, Athletics, etc. that are in deep aerate need of a stadium, and either took forever to get one confirmed, or have yet to get stadium permission.

Well in theory the residents elect the people who decide these things, so it's their fault if they don't like it.

The Rays should not be lumped in with those other teams because they still have a long way to go on their lease before they can even realistically think about pushing for a new stadium. It was stupid of them to enter in to an agreement that would bind them to that hole for any longer than the shortest amount of time possible. Of course, without that lease, they may have moved years ago.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused why everybody is so opposed to this ballpark. Turner Field is the biggest joke of a stadium in the MLB. It was built in a horrendous location, the jumbotron and all of the other "modern amenities" are out of date, and the postseason attendance is awful. They play that Florida State chop music and the crowd barley gets into it. Good for the Braves, they finally opened their eyes.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

I'm confused why everybody is so opposed to this ballpark. Turner Field is the biggest joke of a stadium in the MLB. It was built in a horrendous location, the jumbotron and all of the other "modern amenities" are out of date, and the postseason attendance is awful. They play that Florida State chop music and the crowd barley gets into it. Good for the Braves, they finally opened their eyes.

The part where Cobb County Georgia becomes baseball Glendale.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So in about 25 years from now the Cobb County stadium will be renovated into a parking lot...

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm sure they'll play "that Florida State chop music" at the new place too.

And old HD scoreboard = need for new facility.

The site for the new ballpark is under two miles away from Atlanta's city limits, in a county where population growth is rising and becoming more affluent each year. And baseball's a lot more popular in metro Atlanta than hockey is for metro Phoenix.

Let's not get carried away with the Glendale comparisons.

MetLife Stadium is located in East Rutherford, NJ. I repeat, East Rutherford, NJ. The stadium has no problems making itself known and it even hosted a Super Bowl. I'm sure Cobb County is fine, if anything its a better location than East Rutherford.

I'm sure they'll play "that Florida State chop music" at the new place too.

I was only joking about that. I know the Braves and Florida State play the tomahawk chop anthem before every game. I only acknowledge it with FSU because I can't stand it as a Met fan.

So lackluster Atlanta crowds are because of... Turner Field?

Whodathunkit?

The traffic that Turner Field causes is said to be awful by many Braves fans. And the public transportation is away from the stadium. Factor all of that in, you will probably get a less than stellar crowd.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

The site for the new ballpark is under two miles away from Atlanta's city limits, in a county where population growth is rising and becoming more affluent each year. And baseball's a lot more popular in metro Atlanta than hockey is for metro Phoenix.

Let's not get carried away with the Glendale comparisons.

I meant more in terms to committing themselves to spend close to $400 million in public money...which they won't get back.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Firstly, equating a venue hosting 16 regular season games per team (32 if counting the Jets and Giants) to a venue hosting 81 regular season games is ridiculous. There's a difference between navigating to the stadium for a Sunday afternoon game versus trying to do it multiple times during weekday rush hour.

And let's not kid ourselves about Turner Field. The fact that it had to be converted from the Olympic Stadium is evidence that it wasn't exactly tailor made to be a iconic baseball cathedral.

VmWIn6B.png

Neither is Wrigley, but that hasn't stopped the Cubs.

Today, we are all otaku.

wah wah my jumbotron is only five thousand and six hundred square feet of replays, "MAKE SOME NOIZE!" animations, and advertisements, advertisements, advertisements

Watch the game on the field, dickweeds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived