Atlanta Braves New Stadium

teddthebucfan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do the Braves need a new park anyways? Their current one is only 18 years old.

Because 18 is the new 40.

Then what is the actual 50 multipurpose :censored:hole the A's play in? I mean in the time the A's have taken to try and get a new park the Braves have now built 2...

Why do the Braves need a new park anyways? Their current one is only 18 years old.

Then what is the actual 50 multipurpose :censored:hole the A's play in? I mean in the time the A's have taken to try and get a new park the Braves have now built 2...

Exactly.

Unfortunately baseball doesn't give 2 sh!#s about the A's and that whole situation

So the Braves have joined the White Sox and Mets as the teams who've, when asked why their stadiums face away from the downtown skylines, told their fans to go fornicate themselves.

Can't speak for the White Sox, but the Mets' park faces away from the skyline because the skyline is exactly due west from the ballpark. So, no.

They did make sure the concourses and some outdoor eating areas have views of Manhattan, though.

Is that why the outfield area at Citi looks like an industrial warehouse? Is that designed to block views of less than attractive neighbors? Watching games in that stadium always feels like you're watching games played in a hole. It's probably my least favorite of the new ballparks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So the Braves have joined the White Sox and Mets as the teams who've, when asked why their stadiums face away from the downtown skylines, told their fans to go fornicate themselves.

Can't speak for the White Sox, but the Mets' park faces away from the skyline because the skyline is exactly due west from the ballpark. So, no.

They did make sure the concourses and some outdoor eating areas have views of Manhattan, though.

The stated reason for Comiskey II facing southeast is so it could share the same address as the original park across the street, 333 W. 35th St. If the park was turned to have the outfield face downtown, the address would have been on either Shields or 37th St. And while it probably should have faced downtown, it's not the huge deal some Sox fans make it out to be. Sox park is a long way from Madison Avenue. From the ramps outside RF, all you can see is the Sears Tower and a bunch of trees. There's not an amazing skyline view.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I really enjoy the sketchings done when the show new stadiums being built and I wonder who does them. If there was one like this done for the new Comiskey Park when it was opening, I would really consider purchasing a print, if available. As for the stadium itself, it reminds of Target Field in many ways, how these new "retro" style ballparks like the same angular awnings. What I would wonder to see though is the attendance of these games when the sultry summer temps kick in. Despite being the supposed team of the South, I don't think I ever saw a regular season game where Turner Field was anywere near capacity and I'd anticipate the new stadium having the same issue.

You'd love the models and drawings page at stadiumpage.com. He has a nice sketch of New Comiskey posted there.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/future/Comiskey_G.html

The stated reason for Comiskey II facing southeast is so it could share the same address as the original park across the street, 333 W. 35th St. If the park was turned to have the outfield face downtown, the address would have been on either Shields or 37th St.

That's specious. As if Richie Daley wouldn't have given them special dispensation? The whole idea of a "stadium authority" is just a big workaround in the first place. Besides, having an odd-numbered address across the street from another odd-numbered address sounds wrong.

I don't suppose any of this matters now that the projects are gone. That was always the issue with the park's orientation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I bet you'd have gotten a good view from the upper deck.

286451.jpg

Last time i checked there wasn't an ocean next to atlanta
There isn't one next to Chicago either.

Lake Michigan's wide enough that you can't see the other side. It counts for visual purposes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived