Seattle Mariners tweak-cept (UPDATED on page 2)

TheFloridianLogoMan

(I updated this concept on page 2, check it out there)

Here is my Seattle Mariners concept, even though it's not really an original concept, more like a tweaking with some original elements created by me. First up is the primary logo and the alternate logo:

seaprilogo_zpsb333e51b.pngseaaltlogo_zpse89bfc05.png

The new compass star actually has significance......the light is shining on the compass from the North, West and Northwest, making this set much more regionally appealing.

The alternate logo actually is a combination of two classic logos and one very well known landmark; the trident "M", the "M's" logo from 1987-92, and the Seattle Space Needle. Encircled around "the M's" logo is "Seattle Baseball Club". BTW, it's read as "Seattle Baseball Club", NOT "Seattle the M's Baseball Club". This logo will be worn on all four uniform jerseys.

Cap Logo:

mhz0.png

For the teal hat, just swap the Teal outline and Navy Background to a Teal outline and Teal Background.

Script:

z52x.png

Numerals:

77xx.png

Uniforms:

zot2.png

I will say, if you liked the 90's Brewers sets, you'll probably love this concept. Hope you like this!

For the secondary logo, I'd either fix the stitching (it diverges away from a perfect arc at the prongs of the trident) or get rid of it altogether. Otherwise, you've definitely struck a balance of the old and the new, and this is coming from somebody who liked the Brewers 1994-99 color scheme and identity. Nice work!

QPR%20Sig.png

I think the "the" and the "*S" is unnecessary on the primary. Other than that I like it a lot!

I wanted to do an alternate that referenced both the trident and the "M's" logos from the franchise's earlier years. In hindsight, maybe I should've used an actual apostrophe instead of the 8 pointed star; either way though, I felt like it would have looked right-heavy without thee "the" beside the trident.

For the secondary logo, I'd either fix the stitching (it diverges away from a perfect arc at the prongs of the trident) or get rid of it altogether. Otherwise, you've definitely struck a balance of the old and the new, and this is coming from somebody who liked the Brewers 1994-99 color scheme and identity. Nice work!

I tried to like it without the stitching, but I couldn't take it anymore.......I had to fix the stitching and I think I did so.

seaaltlogo_zpse89bfc05.png

I'm that good sometimes!

I like it a lot, it doesn't have the upside down trident which is a symbol of bad luck but instead used it as inspiration to make a unique logo using a local landmark. One conplain I have about the compass logo though is it seems incomplete in the bottom right (SE) portion that has no shading there, I just feel it needs some, but i do like the emphasis on the NW corner

When you tweak an identity, you are saying that there is something wrong with the look that you are fixing, but also that the brand is strong enough that it doesn't warrant a complete overhaul.

For your tweak of the Mariners' identity, FloridianLogoMan, you have made a few moves that I don't necessarily think fix anything or make it more compelling; it seems mostly like change for change's sake.

• With the gold color, you are swapping out one metallic highlight color for another, and I'm not sure what the significance is. I guess you could say it harkens back to the yellow the team used to use, but not enough to really relate. In the end it makes the identity resemble the 90' Brewers, as others have said.
  • The typography has become more jagged and (to me) Nike NFL-looking, which to me isn't necessarily an improvement. I'd rather see you go in a completely different direction that the current look.
  • The alternate logo with the trident/M/space needle is a nice idea with some potential, but I think the logo gets cluttered with all the elements included–the baseball stitching, the outer circle, the compass rose asterisk. I think simplifying it would improve it a lot. Also I'd suggest getting rid of the white highlights on the M.
  • On the hat logo and script/number type, I think there are too many outlines going on. This is a personal opinion, but everything you have has at least 2 outlines going on, and overall that starts to detract from the actual logo/type and weigh everything down.

Sorry if I'm coming off as overly critical, but as a designer I always try to give people honest feedback in the interest of producing the best work, instead of just saying it looks nice.

When you tweak an identity, you are saying that there is something wrong with the look that you are fixing, but also that the brand is strong enough that it doesn't warrant a complete overhaul.

For your tweak of the Mariners' identity, FloridianLogoMan, you have made a few moves that I don't necessarily think fix anything or make it more compelling; it seems mostly like change for change's sake.

• With the gold color, you are swapping out one metallic highlight color for another, and I'm not sure what the significance is. I guess you could say it harkens back to the yellow the team used to use, but not enough to really relate. In the end it makes the identity resemble the 90' Brewers, as others have said.
  • The typography has become more jagged and (to me) Nike NFL-looking, which to me isn't necessarily an improvement. I'd rather see you go in a completely different direction that the current look.
  • The alternate logo with the trident/M/space needle is a nice idea with some potential, but I think the logo gets cluttered with all the elements included–the baseball stitching, the outer circle, the compass rose asterisk. I think simplifying it would improve it a lot. Also I'd suggest getting rid of the white highlights on the M.
  • On the hat logo and script/number type, I think there are too many outlines going on. This is a personal opinion, but everything you have has at least 2 outlines going on, and overall that starts to detract from the actual logo/type and weigh everything down.

Sorry if I'm coming off as overly critical, but as a designer I always try to give people honest feedback in the interest of producing the best work, instead of just saying it looks nice.

Maybe my choice of gold did make it look too much like the Brewers set, but it is different than the silver, which is what I was striving for. and it somewhat harkens back to the original M's identity. As for the trident, it might not look like it's important, but the white highlight in the middle is a leg of the space needle, and the top highlight is the observation deck. I had to include these so people would notice immediately that it is the space needle.

As for the script, I do agree that it would look nice with only one outline, but I decided at the last second to add the gold inline so the letters would look sharper; otherwise, I would've been compelled to do a white outline on all the scripts and numerals so that the script wouldn't clash too much with the piping. That's probably a design flaw of my own doing, but I stick by it. I like the current Mariners look, and all I wanted to do was give it more character; I didn't want to make drastic changes.

Thanks for your observation and I will take your advice to heart, but I hope you know that I put a lot of thought into this concept.

• The alternate logo with the trident/M/space needle is a nice idea with some potential, but I think the logo gets cluttered with all the elements includedthe baseball stitching, the outer circle, the compass rose asterisk. I think simplifying it would improve it a lot. Also I'd suggest getting rid of the white highlights on the M.

Maybe my choice of gold did make it look too much like the Brewers set, but it is different than the silver, which is what I was striving for. and it somewhat harkens back to the original M's identity. As for the trident, it might not look like it's important, but the white highlight in the middle is a leg of the space needle, and the top highlight is the observation deck. I had to include these so people would notice immediately that it is the space needle.

As for the script, I do agree that it would look nice with only one outline, but I decided at the last second to add the gold inline so the letters would look sharper; otherwise, I would've been compelled to do a white outline on all the scripts and numerals so that the script wouldn't clash too much with the piping. That's probably a design flaw of my own doing, but I stick by it. I like the current Mariners look, and all I wanted to do was give it more character; I didn't want to make drastic changes.

Thanks for your observation and I will take your advice to heart, but I hope you know that I put a lot of thought into this concept.

How much thought means nothing if the final product isn't appealing and this isn't. You basically took each element of their identity and amateurized it. The font is a jagged mess. Looks completely unprofessional. Same can be said for the compass rose. The colors have already been touched on. This does not improve their current identity, which to be honest, is about a damn near perfect look for the Mariners.

Archived