NBA Uniform Redesigns (Spurs updated, Suns added)

CAB

Okay, so since it's playoff time, I've been watching a lot more NBA than I usually do and I've seen some things I'd like to change about some teams. So over the past couple weeks I've been playing around with some uniform redesigns for each team. I will be keeping the same wordmark and logos for each team for now, although I may start some individual full rebrand threads for some teams later. I will be doing at least three uniforms for each team: home, road, and alternate. Ultimately the goal is to give each team their own unique look and to have as few identical color schemes as possible throughout the league.

up next...

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATLANTA HAWKS

I don't mind the Hawks' current uniforms, so I kept the design similar, navy and red is a tired color scheme in pro sports, so I decided to return them to their former red/yellow/black color scheme. I wanted a design that sort of conveyed a forward motion, like that of a flying hawk.

14214021805_bc0cf16b9f_b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSTON CELTICS

I had a hard time changing too much about the Celtics. They have, in my opinion one of the classic designs in the league that should never stray too far from the original. That being said, because I am doing a series here, I figured it couldn't hurt to make some small changes just for the hell of it. I included a small triangle insert on the shorts featuring the shamrock logo. That logo is also featured on the alternate in a fauxback style. I'm a fan of "big logo" basketball jerseys if done tastefully, so that's what I tried to do here. I considered using gold on all of the Celtics' uniforms, but I think it's enough just on the alternate.

14027436497_f4a26f8b9b_b.jpg

BROOKLYN NETS

I like the ultra-simplicity of the Nets' unis, so I kept it fairly simple while still giving it some life with a "net" pattern similar to the New Jersey days. I think the Nets' shield logo lends itself well to the "Golden State" treatment, so that's what I did for the alternate. Since they only have two colors, I tried to make the alternate somehow more black that the road uniform, if that's possible. Jay-Z would be proud.

14027435957_526b0aa317_b.jpg

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Ah, the Hornets. Finally back in Charlotte permanently, we hope. The purple and teal merchandise has still been selling well in their absence, so I wanted to keep some elements from the old mixed in with the new. Hence, the pinstripes. I wanted a design on the shorts that incorporated both a hexagon and a gave off a "stinging" look. When I was finished I realized it is slightly similar to the Bulls' shorts, which I guess can be seen as a subtle nod to MJ. The alternate features a pattern gradient using again, hexagons.

14027648918_2051256058_b.jpg

You can see the full-size versions by clicking the links at the top of the post. Thanks for viewing, and feel free to leave comments/critiques!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Ah, the Hornets. Finally back in Charlotte permanently, we hope.

Bruh, don't play.

JK, I love these concepts. The Celtics alt is a bit out there, but it works.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Charlotte is great. The pattern on the alt shorts is especially good. I'm not thrilled by the Atlanta shorts, however. I don't think the stripe across the back of the legs really works. I think you are missing an opportunity by not using the Pac-Man logo. The Celtics are a change for charge's sake, but it's about as good as you can go. On the alt, maybe move the front number above the logo. For the Nets, I might thin the lines on the side pattern. Otherwise, looks good. I look forward to the rest of these.

CHICAGO BULLS

Similar to the Celtics, I just can't imagine making any drastic changes to the Bulls' look. The only huge difference is a slightly thicker striping design on the shorts. The alternate is a slight departure from their current black jersey. I made it a little more "black-heavy" if you will, featuring thin red and white piping.

14227953411_b4555ef94e_b.jpg

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

I was tempted to revert back to the black/powder blue color scheme of the 90's here, but I really like what they have going now with wine/gold. My favorite unis from the LeBron era is easily their navy ones with the alternating striping. I really love that design and I think it would work well with their new color scheme if done tastefully. Their colors lend themselves well to a "no-white" colored uniform, so that's what you'll see on the road and alternate. Nothing too fancy, but I think simple looks good for Cleveland.

14231254895_2653a13ece_b.jpg

DALLAS MAVERICKS

This is probably my favorite concept so far. The double-blue looks is overused in the NBA so I decided to go back to their former blue/green look, only using navy and a lighter green color for more contrast. I think the Mavs looks good in fairly modern uniforms. The shorts design is meant to match the style of their primary logo (curves with pointed edges) and it also makes a kind of "star" shape at the bottom. And of course I had to use the Mavs wordmark on the alternate.

14227952141_2f3b4ca2bb_b.jpg

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

I was tempted to revert back to the black/powder blue color scheme of the 90's here, but I really like what they have going now with wine/gold. My favorite unis from the LeBron era is easily their navy ones with the alternating striping. I really love that design and I think it would work well with their new color scheme if done tastefully. Their colors lend themselves well to a "no-white" colored uniform, so that's what you'll see on the road and alternate. Nothing too fancy, but I think simple looks good for Cleveland.

14231254895_2653a13ece_b.jpg

Can you use the alternative script for all 3 jerseys

I hate Boston, I hate the Celtics, and I have never (ever) worn any form of basketball attire outside of my dad's retro 90s Magic jersey once for Halloween, but if that Celtics alternate jersey were to be made into T-shirt form, I might just buy it. Might.v

The Cavs are superb and I like the Mavs unis but I think a darker green would do more justice to the alt jersey.

Maybe that's my problem with the Mavs. The green needs to be a true kelly green and it would work a lot better.

Archived