Old Stadiums You Still Love

neo_prankster

I still love the Old Shibe Park (Connie Mack Stadium) in Philly. In my mind, this is still the best looking ballpark in MLB history because of the architecture. Even with a NFL configuration, it still had great sightlines through the whole park.

StadiumsShibePark_photo3.jpg

shibe10952.jpg

Shibe+Park+1940-57.gif

Posted this in the multi-purpose thread as well.

Here was the view from the rooftops across the street before the Phila A's put up a large fence to block the view in 1937. That's a F load of people up there!

10390411_722289417833999_115350106706167

Wow...I still can't believe the buildings are still standing even after Shibe Park was torn down.

I am surprised nobody ever tried to recreate Shibe Park, one of the nicest stadiums ever. A large amount of teams kept trying to make a wannabe Ebbets Field, instead of going with something original.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda related story, in May1998 I was driving to Windsor Canada and took a detour through Detroit because I really wanted to see Tiger Stadium. So I'm driving around, pretty much lost, then low and behold there it was. Also - it was midnight, and some no-goodnicks started approaching my car so I high tailed it out of there through multiple red lights and IIRC went straight to the tunnel to Canada. At least I think there was a tunnel.

Tiger Stadium's neighborhood was no place to be in the daylight on game days, let alone at midnight with nothing going on. Good choice to get the hell out of there. You probably went through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Anyway, Tiger Stadium was a great old park.

On topic:

cleveland-stadium.jpgMunicipal_Stadium_CLE3.jpg

Old Cleveland Stadium may have been a dump but I loved it. It really wasn't a bad place to see a baseball game. Seeing a Browns game there was a lot of fun.

BB52Big.jpg

For me, it's Texas Stadium. This is where real Cowboys football was played. Champions played here. Not the floundering 8-8's of the current Cowboys team. This was the one stadium I wished to see a Cowboys game, but alas, I was too young and too many miles away before Jerry moved the team to his palace.

Texas_Stadium_2-600x478.jpg

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

For me, it's Texas Stadium. This is where real Cowboys football was played. Champions played here. Not the floundering 8-8's of the current Cowboys team. This was the one stadium I wished to see a Cowboys game, but alas, I was too young and too many miles away before Jerry moved the team to his palace.

Sadly, the place was better and not as hot as sauna before the Crown Suites were build by Tex Schramm in 1985 which surround the upper bowl and took out about 1,500 traditional seats.

In its last decade (even before the Arlington talk started), neither Jerry nor the city of Irving put much money into it. The asphalt concourse on the main level has little drainage, the restrooms were poor and the roof was weathered and never repainted.

I don't know how it was in person, but it was horrible for TV. The lighting sucked because it was sort of a dome, so you had bizarre shadows over half the field where the cutout was, and the rest was lit with dull artificial light like in the Kingdome or Metrodome. The field looked bad just because it was turf, but for some reason it didn't look as close to natrual as the newer field turf fields look - it almost looked like the Vet's old "NexTurf" surface. I totally get nostalgia for places you grew up with (hence my username), but from an outsider's perspective,that place was pure trash.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know how it was in person, but it was horrible for TV. The lighting sucked because it was sort of a dome, so you had bizarre shadows over half the field where the cutout was, and the rest was lit with dull artificial light like in the Kingdome or Metrodome. The field looked bad just because it was turf, but for some reason it didn't look as close to natrual as the newer field turf fields look - it almost looked like the Vet's old "NexTurf" surface. I totally get nostalgia for places you grew up with (hence my username), but from an outsider's perspective,that place was pure trash.

I always remember it being in the opening credits of Dallas.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Having attended many games there in my youth during the team's arguable "dynasty" days, I can assure you of this:

You aren't missing much.

5amlwx.jpg

cleveland-stadium.jpg

They didn't sell the seats in straight away center field?

It's like that at [insert corporate name] Stadium in Miami. Those seats are used for football.

MQQTG00Z.jpg

Those were the batter's eyes.

Thanks, I forgot about what those are.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

About seven years ago or something, I had a really strong infatuation with some long-gone ballparks in baseball. In particular, Huntington Avenue Grounds (Boston Red Sox) and West Side Park (Chicago White Sox) are the two that I most recall.

huntave.jpg

Huntington Avenue Grounds prior to the 1903 World Series. There was a woodshed in CF that was in play, but it was also, like, 630 feet away. If I'm recalling, there were crowd overflows and wooden rope was installed in the OF at some depth to serve as crowd control; any batted balls that went under those ropes were credited as ground-rule triples.

--

Some of the historic hockey facilities closed just before or barely after I had gotten into hockey, so unfortunately I have no idea was hockey atmosphere's were like at the Aud, Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens, among others, and I never had a chance to watch the original 'Peggers, Whalers, or Nordiques, either.

--

I will say that September 21, 2008 is one of the most recent times to date that I have actually shed tears. I wish I had been able to go to Yankee Stadium before it closed. Shea Stadium closed a week later, although obviously I wouldn't have the same ties with the Mets home ballpark (but I do recall Ryan Church's bid for a game-tying HR in the 9th inning falling just short, ending the Mets playoff hopes and Shea Stadium's lifespan all at once; Carlos Beltran hit a home run in that game; Scott Olsen was the Marlins SP). I'll be interested to see which ballpark I like more once I make my eventual New York trip and check out Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.

spacer.png

If you've been to one HOK/Populous ballpark, you've been to them all.

you couldn't be more wrong, all the stadiums they have built have tons of differences and features that makes each stadium unique.
Nope. I'm right. They're pretty much the same. You bought the marketing.

Archived