Old Stadiums You Still Love

neo_prankster

My very first major league baseball game was at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I was 7 and don't remember too much, but it was still such a fun experience.

I've always adored Greer Stadium, now former home of the AAA Nashville Sounds. It's actually built near an old Civil War fortification. I have seen multiple games there, the last of which was last July, and while the stadium showed its age it still had a cozy minor league charm. Plus, a guitar scoreboard! I'm glad they're keeping the guitar shaped board in their new park. They're probably gonna tear down Greer in the next year or two, which will be a pretty sad day.

greer.jpg

ICXC NIKA

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My very first major league baseball game was at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I was 7 and don't remember too much, but it was still such a fun experience.

I've always adored Greer Stadium, now former home of the AAA Nashville Sounds. It's actually built near an old Civil War fortification. I have seen multiple games there, the last of which was last July, and while the stadium showed its age it still had a cozy minor league charm. Plus, a guitar scoreboard! I'm glad they're keeping the guitar shaped board in their new park. They're probably gonna tear down Greer in the next year or two, which will be a pretty sad day.

greer.jpg

I too had a great time at Greer. It was everything you could ask for in a minor league experience. one it was "Thirsty Thursday" $2, $3, $4 Beers all game, you don't see that in the bigs. It wasn't lavish, but I didn't want it to be. A few days earlier I was in Memphis and walked around AutoZone Park, which at the time looked like a big league park compared. Like you said it was kind of off the beaten path with the old fort nearby. Tickets were cheap like $5/$10 where I sat. And the bullpen was right next to the parking lot so we talked with future Brewers while they were goofing around in a 9-0 route of the Red Birds. And oh hell yeah the guitar!!!

packchampionslfroh.png

oakland-coliseum.jpg

The old Oakland Coliseum pre-95. More than just nostalgia, though there is a bunch of that, it was a nice ballpark. Probably the nicest of its multipurpose contemporaries and the one that felt the most like an actual ballpark. Had a somewhat pastoral setting with the great hill views and the ice grass slopes. Had a nice set of actual bleachers. Sure it didn't have all the glitz of modern venues and it would likely still need to be replaced today, but it was one of the better MLB venues until the Camden craze started. It's always been a crime what it was turned into for the Raiders.

Lawrence Dumont Stadium in Wichita, Kansas

http://www.stadiumsusa.com/stadium/lawrence-dumont-stadium-67213/Wichita+Wingnuts

(I looked for awhile and coundnt find any instructions on how to post images so sorry)

It's terrible compared to modern minor league stadiums but I guess the fact that there is so much history here is what makes it great. Plus the fact that ive been to over 100 games there and have slept there 5 times...

Will never forgive the Steinbrenner family for bulldozing Yankee Stadium. It should of been restored to look like the pre 70's renovation and upgrated where they could like the Cubs are doing and the Red Sox have. It's shameful there wasn't any outcry from Yankee fans.

Project proposal for the late 90's.

ferrer_Yankee_4.jpg

newyank4.jpg

ferrer_Yankee_3_zpsxv7zgiov.png

newyank5.jpg

ferrer_Yankee_1_zpsb5xye5kv.png

ferrer_Yankee_2_zpsgvohqgl0.png

The old Oakland Coliseum pre-95. More than just nostalgia, though there is a bunch of that, it was a nice ballpark. Probably the nicest of its multipurpose contemporaries and the one that felt the most like an actual ballpark. Had a somewhat pastoral setting with the great hill views and the ice grass slopes. Had a nice set of actual bleachers. Sure it didn't have all the glitz of modern venues and it would likely still need to be replaced today, but it was one of the better MLB venues until the Camden craze started. It's always been a crime what it was turned into for the Raiders.

Absolutely. For me, only Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City has ever had better outfield/outdoor sight lines.

89 & 92 ALCS that place was a great stage for Jays fans.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

cleveland-stadium.jpgMunicipal_Stadium_CLE3.jpg

Old Cleveland Stadium may have been a dump but I loved it. It really wasn't a bad place to see a baseball game. Seeing a Browns game there was a lot of fun.

Same here. Went to many an Indians game there, and many a Pirates game at Three Rivers, and always preferred going to Municipal. It was a dump, but it at least had some character.

dscn1215.jpg

dorton-arena.jpg

Above are two older facilities which are still around and have sentimental value, but haven't seen big-time sports in some time. First is the Johnstown War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. It served as the home of the ECHL Johnstown Chiefs during their entire run in the league, but more memorably for most served as the home ice of the mythical Charlestown Chiefs from the movie "Slap Shot." I spent literally hundreds of games at center ice, either as a season ticket holder or undocumented, under-the-table staff member.

Below is another former ECHL haunt, but also served as the sometimes host of the ABA's Carolina Cougars: Dorton Arena, in Raleigh, North Carolina. While this place doesn't hold the same level of nostalgia for me as the War Memorial, I spent the Raleigh Icecaps last two seasons watching games from a center ice seat. Unfortunately the state government here (the arena sits on the state fairgrounds) has done NOTHING to upgrade the facility in decades - it's not been left to rot, but it's not been updated, either. If someone were to put $10 million into her, she'd be a really nice, modern venue for certain events.

nav-logo.png

I love the new KFC Yum! Center as much as anybody, but there is still no better place to watch a Louisville basketball game than at the old Freedom Hall. This place just screams tradition from Denny Crum's "Doctors of Dunk" to Rick Pitino's 2005 team plus the two times I went there, the atmosphere is only rivaled by few others.

3195528738_ea4ddbeb81.jpg

fhext.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• 2 weeks later...

Will never forgive the Steinbrenner family for bulldozing Yankee Stadium. It should of been restored to look like the pre 70's renovation and upgrated where they could like the Cubs are doing and the Red Sox have. It's shameful there wasn't any outcry from Yankee fans.

Project proposal for the late 90's.

ferrer_Yankee_4.jpg

newyank4.jpg

ferrer_Yankee_3_zpsxv7zgiov.png

newyank5.jpg

ferrer_Yankee_1_zpsb5xye5kv.png

ferrer_Yankee_2_zpsgvohqgl0.png

That looks gorgeous. Yeah, I'm a Sox fan but I agree wholeheartedly with Dexter Morgan.

What's being done to Wrigley Field is sickening. People can reportedly hear the jumbotron speakers a mile away. The sound they hear is the death rattle of the golden goose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm trying to reserve Wrigley judgement for another couple years until it's finished & some time to marinate the result.

Though their new scoreboard already looks pretty sore. The balance of the place is thrown off, & worst is while they seem to be trying to be discreet about its use (generic minimal old timey info framed within old timey digital graphics), that in itself makes it seem borderline redundant.

Fenway was never as quaint field of dreams, its renos simply tacked on & seem functional. Wrigley on the other hand is squat in a residential zone (yes?) with a park-like feel... changing that is gonna be hard for traditionalists.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

oakland-coliseum.jpg

For being one of the old style stadiums, it looked damn good. Such a shame it had to be ruined by what a joke of a franchise the Raiders are.

I'm trying to reserve Wrigley judgement for another couple years until it's finished & some time to marinate the result.

Though their new scoreboard already looks pretty sore. The balance of the place is thrown off, & worst is while they seem to be trying to be discreet about its use (generic minimal old timey info framed within old timey digital graphics), that in itself makes it seem borderline redundant.

Fenway was never as quaint field of dreams, its renos simply tacked on & seem functional. Wrigley on the other hand is squat in a residential zone (yes?) with a park-like feel... changing that is gonna be hard for traditionalists.

Correct, but Cubs fans have been bamboozled into thinking not only do they need a giant video board to watch highlights, they need it to show commercials so that the team can generate revenue to spend on players. What a pathetic bunch of ass-lickers. That is an act of licking someone's ass. It's so disappointing.

Yeah Fenway had the advantage of always feeling cobbled together. That was part of its charm. And they've just continued that tradition of cobbling new pieces on to the old girl. While Wrigley was similarly cobbled together, the result was always a more cohesive ballpark that felt like it was always built that way and looked it too. That has now been thrown completely out of whack which is why it's so much more jarring what their renovations have done. That and they went extreme with their upgrades. Like the videoboard which is just massively obtrusive compared to the more understated boards added to older parks at say Fenway or Dodger Stadium. They could have found a way to incorporate a videoboard that wasn't that gigantic and off setting.

I find it delightful that these new-generation Cubs fans who have been taught to bitch about their "lack of modern amenities" now have their advertising blitz in left field but don't have anywhere to take a piss.

Archived