NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Okay, clearly that's the Lions' QB practice jerseys, but why not red like every other team that doesn't use some shade of red as its primary color?

Oh, right. Because Nike.

You might want to do some homework there. Red QB jerseys are not as common as you'd think.

Doesn't Drew Brees wear a gold one?? I think Russell Wilson wears that obnoxious lime green.

bucs-camp.jpg

Bucs qbs wear creamsicle now

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunate turn of events my friends. In a move that is so totally typical of this team (can you tell I'm frustrated???), the team clearified they were only talking about adding an alternate:

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/dont-get-your-hopes-about-eagles-switching-kelly-green

Not surprising. But revealing that they felt the need to clarify.

Not sure how that is a move that is "totally typical of this team."

The clarification makes sense. I was wondering what they were talking about when they said that there were rules besides just the timeline preventing them from doing it. It makes sense that they're talking about the "no-two-helmet" rule.

Typical as, from a fan's perspective, we've all wanted the change since they switched to midnight green, but Lurie doesn't seem to care because he sees it as his color.

The 'midnight green' also prevents me from buying alot of merchandise too, honestly.

When I scroll through, say, draft hats from all the other teams it's like "Cool, that one looks sweet, etc. etc." Then I get to my beloved Iggles...... and its like just teal and black..... and I'm just like eh, I'll pass

That's simply not true. There are certainly a large percentage of fans that like kelly green, but there's also a lot that like midnight green. Polls (which are not really worth much) are mixed. For every one that shows it skewed one way, you can find one that goes the other. It's simply a false statement to say that "we've all wanted the change".

While you may not be buying merch, a lot of other people are. I think their stuff is in the top tier (top 5 maybe?) of teams in terms of sales.

You may personally not like it, but it's foolish to think that your opinion is the one shared by the masses. I would wager that if you took a real poll (like at a game or something), kelly green would win, but not in a landslide. Keep in mind they've had this look for 18 years, so there's a generation of kids who only know it.

At the end of the day, I honestly think that your average eagles fan doesn't care and doesn't even think about it other than the rare occasion that they have throwback days.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At the end of the day, I honestly think that your average eagles fan doesn't care and doesn't even think about it other than the rare occasion that they have throwback days.

That's the bottom line for most team fan bases.

Most of the sales of the current stuff would also be sold if the team was in kelly. Most Eagles fans want an Eagles t-shirt, Eagles jersey, Eagles hat, etc. Particularly with Kelly vs. midnight green, they barely realize a difference (compared to say a Sabres or Astros color overhaul). If you pin them down and ask them which is better, they may have an opinion, but for most, I doubt it impacts their team gear purchases or the degree to which they cheer for the team.

Of course, we are weirdos and as a weirdo, I happen to think that Kelly green/silver and the old wings would be a great improvement and if I bought stuff from other teams, it could impact my purchases, but I have to think people like that provide a pretty negligible difference in sales.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

While I actually like the Eagles current look, I really hope they don't just keep the current set and switch to kelly green. Honestly, I'd be happy if the Eagles simply switched back to this.

%7Boption%7D

Maybe a few tweaks, silver pants and number outlines, maybe update the wings slightly, but nothing more.

That is a gorgeous uniform.

Agreed. I would just use this version of the wings on the helmet.

%7Boption%7D

Yeah, the wings on the uniform in the picture are the only flaw. The wings on the helmet (above), coupled with the uniform would be absolute perfection in my opinion.

Would nfl properties even allow a jersey like that to be approved? It's just a generic football jersey with no discernible branding. The raiders and giants can pull this look off but it's not like the eagles have a rich tradition of wearing a plain green jersey only adorned with numbers. I mean it looks good because it's classic and clean but there's nothing distinctive.

New uniforms = More $$$

I'd say yes. If the NFL was that worried about how well branded and designed each uniform was, I don't think we'd be seeing half-gold/half-black helmets or alarm clock numbers.

Thanks for supporting my point. Distinctive design, albeit ugly in some cases, is better branding than generic. Given recent uniform trends a new eagles jersey if changed to kelly green would likely require wordmark, secondary logo, sublimation and a couple contrasting color panels so fans and consumers know they're proud owners of an officiallly nfl licensed nike branded philadelphia eagles game day jersey. That throwback just doesn't meet enough of that branding criteria.

While I actually like the Eagles current look, I really hope they don't just keep the current set and switch to kelly green. Honestly, I'd be happy if the Eagles simply switched back to this.

10350330_10152397162681263_8005543883757

Maybe a few tweaks, silver pants and number outlines, maybe update the wings slightly, but nothing more.

t604979-500.jpg

Yeah, the wings on the uniform in the picture are the only flaw. The wings on the helmet (above), coupled with the uniform would be absolute perfection in my opinion.

Would nfl properties even allow a jersey like that to be approved? It's just a generic football jersey with no discernible branding. The raiders and giants can pull this look off but it's not like the eagles have a rich tradition of wearing a plain green jersey only adorned with numbers. I mean it looks good because it's classic and clean but there's nothing distinctive.

Move the numbers to the shoulders, put a logo on the sleeves, and a wordmark under the collar. Done.

%7Boption%7D

%7Boption%7D

New uniforms = More $$$

I'd say yes. If the NFL was that worried about how well branded and designed each uniform was, I don't think we'd be seeing half-gold/half-black helmets or alarm clock numbers.

Thanks for supporting my point. Distinctive design, albeit ugly in some cases, is better branding than generic. Given recent uniform trends a new eagles jersey if changed to kelly green would likely require wordmark, secondary logo, sublimation and a couple contrasting color panels so fans and consumers know they're proud owners of an officiallly nfl licensed nike branded philadelphia eagles game day jersey. That throwback just doesn't meet enough of that branding criteria.

That's not what I was saying -- I didn't comment at all on what makes good branding.

I don't think the NFL cares about what the teams look like (other than one color and one white uniform, one helmet, etc.) -- it's up to the individual teams. So, no, the NFL wouldn't tell the Eagles they can't switch to simple, kelly green uniforms.

Also, I was saying ANY change will sell. It doesn't matter whether the uniforms are generic or distinctive -- if it's different than what the team currently wears, people will buy it. Look at the NBA -- they just moved the logo to the back of the jersey and added those gold championship tabs...to sell more jerseys (and maybe make room for ads, but that's a different conversation). There's people out there that will go get the new jersey because there were changes.

t604979-500.jpg

Have you seen the Giants home jersey for the last umpteen years?

I think the point is that NFL Properties division is so intertwined with Nike at this point, unless both the NFL Properties Division AND the Eagles put down their foot and say "No, this is the direction we want to go," there's no way Nike is going to go with a blank jersey with block numbers. The Giants home jersey is, what, 15 years old now? It was a different era when they made the switch.

I think the point is that NFL Properties division is so intertwined with Nike at this point, unless both the NFL Properties Division AND the Eagles put down their foot and say "No, this is the direction we want to go," there's no way Nike is going to go with a blank jersey with block numbers. The Giants home jersey is, what, 15 years old now? It was a different era when they made the switch.

If the Eagles want that, they'll get it. Look at all the college teams that have kept up with the new templates but not been Nikefied. And there's a handful of NFL teams that don't even have Nike's template.

t604979-500.jpg

Did you even bother to read my second sentence? I specifically called out the giants as being an exception.

Here's the deal. Every single rebrand/redesign must be approved by nfl properties, the teams do not get carte blanche to design their own uniforms in a vacuum like they do in college. Would the league (and possibly nike) allow a team to redesign their jersey to a solid jersey sans stripes with a generic block front? My educated guess is 90% of the time NO, due to counterfeiting and lack of branding elements that the league so craves.

Would there be exceptions? Absolutely, but that would depend on the influence of the owner. The reason I mentioned the giants is because the Mara family basically runs the league. Could the steelers go back to a block font? My guess is the Rooney's have that pull. Could Lurie convice the league to drop the current eagles look for essentially a green raiders jersey? I don't think that scenario is as likely for the criteria outlined above. Could they return to a more classic fauxback with some striping elements like they had in the past? Absolutely.

Unfortunate turn of events my friends. In a move that is so totally typical of this team (can you tell I'm frustrated???), the team clearified they were only talking about adding an alternate:

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/dont-get-your-hopes-about-eagles-switching-kelly-green

The clarification makes sense. I was wondering what they were talking about when they said that there were rules besides just the timeline preventing them from doing it. It makes sense that they're talking about the "no-two-helmet" rule.

Typical as, from a fan's perspective, we've all wanted the change since they switched to midnight green, but Lurie doesn't seem to care because he sees it as his color.

The 'midnight green' also prevents me from buying alot of merchandise too, honestly.

When I scroll through, say, draft hats from all the other teams it's like "Cool, that one looks sweet, etc. etc." Then I get to my beloved Iggles...... and its like just teal and black..... and I'm just like eh, I'll pass

That's simply not true. There are certainly a large percentage of fans that like kelly green, but there's also a lot that like midnight green. Polls (which are not really worth much) are mixed. For every one that shows it skewed one way, you can find one that goes the other. It's simply a false statement to say that "we've all wanted the change".

While you may not be buying merch, a lot of other people are. I think their stuff is in the top tier (top 5 maybe?) of teams in terms of sales.

You may personally not like it, but it's foolish to think that your opinion is the one shared by the masses. I would wager that if you took a real poll (like at a game or something), kelly green would win, but not in a landslide. Keep in mind they've had this look for 18 years, so there's a generation of kids who only know it.

Ok I'll rephrase then. I can't speak for 'us all', I'm just basing off of every single fellow fan that I've personally asked the quesion to.

And I think polls count for quite a bit, actually. In fact they might count the most...

Damn that's awesome.

I really like the midnight green color, but the Eagles use it poorly. The helmet's fine, it's midnight green, white, and silver, with a thin sliver of black thrown in for trim. That's fine. But the jersey and pants are midnight green, black, charcoal, and white, with silver pretty much kicked to the curb. 3 dark colors, only one light color. That's a textbook way of how not to use a dark primary color. I'd really like to see them address that problem rather than abandon midnight green entirely.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I really like the midnight green color, but the Eagles use it poorly. The helmet's fine, it's midnight green, white, and silver, with a thin sliver of black thrown in for trim. That's fine. But the jersey and pants are midnight green, black, charcoal, and white, with silver pretty much kicked to the curb. 3 dark colors, only one light color. That's a textbook way of how not to use a dark primary color. I'd really like to see them address that problem rather than abandon midnight green entirely.

This. Midnight green, I think, is pretty great color. The Eagles eff it up with white pants instead of silver, and charcoal instead of silver. A couple tweaks to the current set and they would be pretty amazing.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I get what you are saying about the charcoal. I don't think it's as dramatically dark as people make it out to be, but it'd be fine if replaced with silver.

I think they screwed up in '96 when they first redesigned. The stripes instead of logo on the white jersey was stupid, and the green pants with only a solid black stripe (and logo on hip) was ugly.

They improved in '97 by putting the logo on the sleeve of the white jersey. I also think that's when they went with the black collar and cuffs, though that may have been '98. Still same crappy pants.

Then, in '03, they (IMO) tweaked it to near perfection. The change in wordmark (both in shape and color) under the collar was an improvement, as was (just IMO) the addition of the charcoal to the numbers, and the slight shadow on the numbers. Going with the asymmetrical pants stripes was a great move as finally the pants matched the contemporary look of the jerseys. Fixing the green pants was much needed as well.

I miss silver, but I don't see it working (other than as a replacment for charcoal) in this set. It'd make it too dark, like the Glanville-era Falcons.

If they went with Kelly green, I would hope there wouldn't be any black outside of maybe the logos, as it really makes the green look dull. The early '90s set looked very drab IMO because of the black number outline and pants trim. The helmets were OK because of no black. Green, silver, and white is all that's really needed for a distinct look. Maybe a little black here and there, but nothing like now.

Ok I'll rephrase then. I can't speak for 'us all', I'm just basing off of every single fellow fan that I've personally asked the quesion to.

And I think polls count for quite a bit, actually. In fact they might count the most...

No, polls don't count, because you're only sampling people who are on sites where they actually see the polls, which for the most part is not representative of your average fan who doesn't spend his day logged on to the internet reading articles about his team's uniforms. Focus groups might count for something. Polls at the games might count for something. But internet polls are pretty useless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived