NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Weird last I checked these are 2014 nfl changes we are talking about.....and not 2015 nfl changes.

See why its not a good idea to make a thread for NEXT year so early? I say at least wait til the season is halfway through.

In my defense (and to avoid the wrath of the mods), I started this topic on the Rams and Browns. The Eagles post was only relevant because of the alternate possibly coming. Whoever posted the Bucs/Jags stuff has hijacked it..... I intended to discuss articles clearly talking about 2015 and forward. Looks like that's "so yesterday" now......

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not pretend teams having similar design elements at the same time is somehow a new thing.

I picked a year at random: http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/1975.html

That year:

- The Packers, Redskins, Browns, Saints, and Dolphins all had the same sleeve stripes

- The Giants and the Cardinals (road) had the same sleeve stripes

- The Steelers, Lions, and Vikings (home) had the same sleeve stripes

- The Bills and Cowboys had the same sleeve stripes

- The Chiefs and Patriots had the same sleeve stripes

- The Falcons, Oilers, and Bengals had very similar sleeve stripes

- The Raiders and the Cardinals (home) both used the plainest possible jersey design

- The Vikings (road) and Colts both used UCLA stripes

- Most teams used the classic "Braisher" pants stripes

- Pretty much no variation in number fonts aside from the Bears

Yet this is considered the "good old days," whereas Nike is "mailing it in" by using similar modern elements in different ways on two teams at once. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Bucs need to get rid of the black spray paint on the helmets, the font, and the chrome. They weren't as horrible as I thought. My JAGS on the other hand need to go with all black helmets and outline the shoulder numbers and NOB the same as the front and back numbers and they would have a great set.

It's not quite spray paint...its pretty much this stuff:

00346830-782243_500.jpg

I nominate the above for post of the day

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I'm really curious what happens with the Browns re-design. This will be the most traditional look that will get a re-design. How will Nike revamp a traditional look that has always used simple sleeve stripes and a plain helmet? Will they simply attempt to modernize the traditional look a bit or will we see something totally different and unlike anything the Browns have worn before?

Let's not pretend teams having similar design elements at the same time is somehow a new thing.

I picked a year at random: http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/1975.html

That year:

- The Packers, Redskins, Browns, Saints, and Dolphins all had the same sleeve stripes

- The Giants and the Cardinals (road) had the same sleeve stripes

- The Steelers, Lions, and Vikings (home) had the same sleeve stripes

- The Bills and Cowboys had the same sleeve stripes

- The Chiefs and Patriots had the same sleeve stripes

- The Falcons, Oilers, and Bengals had very similar sleeve stripes

- The Raiders and the Cardinals (home) both used the plainest possible jersey design

- The Vikings (road) and Colts both used UCLA stripes

- Most teams used the classic "Braisher" pants stripes

- Pretty much no variation in number fonts aside from the Bears

Yet this is considered the "good old days," whereas Nike is "mailing it in" by using similar modern elements in different ways on two teams at once. :rolleyes:

The difference being that no on in 1975 was using comically large logos, chrome facemasks, half-and-half helmets, or trying too hard propietary number fonts.

Another thing to consider. Sports marketing wasn't what it is today. The Dolphins and the Packers share sleeve stripe designs? Who cares? You can tell them apart. That's all that really mattered. Now though? Nike's started the trend of hyping up uniform design and emphasizing every element with bs corporate speak. So reused design elements become more egregious when they're coming from guys who can't shut up about their own supposed creativity.

The difference being that no on in 1975 was using comically large logos, chrome facemasks, half-and-half helmets, or trying too hard propietary number fonts.

No, but there were clearly different fads/trends back then that teams and manufacturers thought looked good, as evidenced by so many different teams using the same elements.

Another thing to consider. Sports marketing wasn't what it is today. The Dolphins and the Packers share sleeve stripe designs? Who cares? You can tell them apart. That's all that really mattered.

But even without the sports marketing there is today, there were still unique uniforms that stood out back then, like the Rams' and the Chargers'.

Now though? Nike's started the trend of hyping up uniform design and emphasizing every element with bs corporate speak. So reused design elements become more egregious when they're coming from guys who can't shut up about their own supposed creativity.

Flowery press releases are hardly a Nike invention, there's a whole thread full of them stickied at the top of this forum after all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That's crazy that the Eagles changed. I really liked their shiny uniform on the traditional template. I'm afraid how the green will look when it's "flat". They already had sweat issues to begin with, but I fear it'll be really bad with the Nike uniform.

The flywire® actually kind of fits with their uniform, however the fact that so many other teams use it and it's not unique makes it a downgrade. The funky collar shape sucks too.

If the green pants are now flat and not shiney, then they will really have crapped on a very nice football uniform.

yea im sure you will see the "sweat boxes" on the green jerseys weather the material finish is gloss or matte, the Nike uniforms still seem to change color when wet. i think the uniform design actually looks better on the Elite51 though. its a much cleaner, better fitting jersey when tailored right, as you can see on Sanchez with the skill sleeve option. im not a big fan of forcing old designs into the new template like the Steelers and Browns though. the stripes just look hacked

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

No, but there were clearly different fads/trends back then that teams and manufacturers thought looked good, as evidenced by so many different teams using the same elements.
Not really. "Sleeve stripes" aren't a fad. Evidenced by the fact that they're still very much in style. They're the tailored suit of football aesthetics. It's just what looks good.

The Jags and Bucs? There are your fads.

Another thing to consider. Sports marketing wasn't what it is today. The Dolphins and the Packers share sleeve stripe designs? Who cares? You can tell them apart. That's all that really mattered.

But even without the sports marketing there is today, there were still unique uniforms that stood out back then, like the Rams' and the Chargers'.
The Rams, Chargers, and Bengals all managed to have unique elements that were restrained by traditional football aesthetics, and they looked great as a result.

While Nike isn't responsible for the current Bengals and Chargers' looks you can still see the results of too much creativity being a bad thing.

It used to be that the Chargers' bolts and Bengals' tiger stripes were held in check by the limits of a traditional football template, the UCLA look. You had the stripes, but the unique elements were placed inside. This gave each team a unique look that worked because it showed restraint.

Now the restraints are gone and you have a dumpster fire of out of control and wrong coloured tiger stripes, backwards and wavy lightning bolts, pointless panels and two ugly proprietary number fonts. In short the restrictions of a classic football template made those unique elements stand out in a positive way whereas without those restraints the uniforms are a mess from a design standpoint. Creativity run amok.

Now though? Nike's started the trend of hyping up uniform design and emphasizing every element with bs corporate speak. So reused design elements become more egregious when they're coming from guys who can't shut up about their own supposed creativity.

Flowery press releases are hardly a Nike invention, there's a whole thread full of them stickied at the top of this forum after all.
No, Nike didn't invent the bs corporate press release but they've mastered it as far as uniform unveilings go. I swear, they're issuing sentences that don't actually mean anything at this point.

My larger point is that Nike constantly pats itself on the back, citing its own innovation. So when they recycle elements it's more egregious then when the Dolphins and Packers would wear the same stripes because making a utilitarian football uniform that wouldn't be confused with the other team's uniform was often the starting and end points in the design process.

And you know what? The Dolphins and Packers from 1975 both look better then the Bucs and Jags do today.

No, Nike didn't invent the bs corporate press release but they've mastered it as far as uniform unveilings go. I swear, they're issuing sentences that don't actually mean anything at this point.

Here's what I was thinking of. From Syracuse's 2014 football uniform unveiling.

"Custom numbers appear tall and narrow, mimicking the height of New York Citys skyline. The numbers also feature a unique 44-degree linear V pattern. This pattern is mirrored on the uniform pant lines and shoulder panels for unified positioning of the Orange as New York's college team."

The whole quote is nonsense because last time I checked Syracuse wasn't part of New York City. As for the bold part? I'm not sure what "unified positioning of the Orange" actually means. It's just nonsense.

Adidas tred tire trend. At least Nike only does it with a few, Adidas gets an idea and pumps it out onto everyone of their schools

Adidas is just trying to play catchup to Nike, and not in a good way. Nike started all of this craziness and now everyone wants a piece so as not to be left out.

Speaking of recycling, didn't someone catch Nike re-using whole sentences from their Missouri press release for their recent Illinois revamp?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Speaking of recycling, didn't someone catch Nike re-using whole sentences from their Missouri press release for their recent Illinois revamp?

Yep, STLFanatic uncovered that one.

From Nike's press release re: the Illinois unveiling from April of this year...

Custom athletic numerals have been designed to complement the word-marks, as well as unite athletics across multiple sports. The letterforms are bold and energetic, infused with speed. The serifs are sleek and powerful, drawing inspiration from the fast cuts and aggressive playing style of Red Grange.

From Nike's press release re: the Missouri unveiling from two years ago...

These unique characteristics of the typeface are infused with speed and the serifs are sleek and powerful drawing inspiration from the ear of the tiger.

I'm still not sure how you infuse a number with speed. Kind of like how I'm not sure you can unify the position of the Orange. Again, Nike didn't invent the flowery press release. They mastered it.

Some of the corporate marketing jargon sounds like they're trying to stretch out sentences for a 500 word paper. "Specific ventilation holes help players sweat through the jersey with special ventilation holes." (Not an actual quote)

Regarding the whole Bucs/Jags situation, I do think that both sides are at fault. Nike should have a bit more common sense in designing and stop throwing things together, even though some of the latest designs have been acceptable, like the Vikings. The teams wearing the uniform are also to blame. A lot of problems with the Buccaneers could've been fixed if someone had just said, "Can we see other numerals?" Or "Can the font be more _______?" I feel like some of these schools and teams are leaping at the first thing they see, when a good uniform takes a bit of time and research and effort into it. But hey, what do I know?

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

The worst part with both of these clown suits is that each one is a few tweaks away from being a decent look. The people defending this nonsense remind of the folks who thought mullets and parachute pants were really cool ideas.

RE: the "in the 70's a lot of teams used similar elements" argument - Sure they did; much in the same way a pinstriped suit comes in different colors. The difference here is that we're not looking at variations on a classy looking suit. We're looking at variations of the mullet.

There was a time when people thought this looked great/modern/stylish (or whatever excuse for ugly you want to toss out there)

leisurebirth.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived