NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference being that no on in 1975 was using comically large logos, chrome facemasks, half-and-half helmets, or trying too hard propietary number fonts.

No, but there were clearly different fads/trends back then that teams and manufacturers thought looked good, as evidenced by so many different teams using the same elements.
Not really. "Sleeve stripes" aren't a fad. Evidenced by the fact that they're still very much in style. They're the tailored suit of football aesthetics. It's just what looks good.

The Jags and Bucs? There are your fads.

Another thing to consider. Sports marketing wasn't what it is today. The Dolphins and the Packers share sleeve stripe designs? Who cares? You can tell them apart. That's all that really mattered.

But even without the sports marketing there is today, there were still unique uniforms that stood out back then, like the Rams' and the Chargers'.
The Rams, Chargers, and Bengals all managed to have unique elements that were restrained by traditional football aesthetics, and they looked great as a result.

While Nike isn't responsible for the current Bengals and Chargers' looks you can still see the results of too much creativity being a bad thing.

It used to be that the Chargers' bolts and Bengals' tiger stripes were held in check by the limits of a traditional football template, the UCLA look. You had the stripes, but the unique elements were placed inside. This gave each team a unique look that worked because it showed restraint.

Now the restraints are gone and you have a dumpster fire of out of control and wrong coloured tiger stripes, backwards and wavy lightning bolts, pointless panels and two ugly proprietary number fonts. In short the restrictions of a classic football template made those unique elements stand out in a positive way whereas without those restraints the uniforms are a mess from a design standpoint. Creativity run amok.

Now though? Nike's started the trend of hyping up uniform design and emphasizing every element with bs corporate speak. So reused design elements become more egregious when they're coming from guys who can't shut up about their own supposed creativity.

Flowery press releases are hardly a Nike invention, there's a whole thread full of them stickied at the top of this forum after all.
And you know what? The Dolphins and Packers from 1975 both look better then the Bucs and Jags do today.
You know who else the Dolphins of 1975 look better than?

The 2014 Dolphins.

Adidas tred tire trend. At least Nike only does it with a few, Adidas gets an idea and pumps it out onto everyone of their schools

We just had this discussion earlier in this very thread. What does Adidas have to do with Nike's crappy designs. Why does anybody think Adidas messes make Nike's messes better? If you want to start a thread to discuss how terrible Adidas' current crop of NCAA garbage is, I'll be happy to post and agree with you. This thread is about how Nike took a giant dump on the state of Florida.

No, Nike didn't invent the bs corporate press release but they've mastered it as far as uniform unveilings go. I swear, they're issuing sentences that don't actually mean anything at this point.

Here's what I was thinking of. From Syracuse's 2014 football uniform unveiling.

"Custom numbers appear tall and narrow, mimicking the height of New York Citys skyline. The numbers also feature a unique 44-degree linear V pattern. This pattern is mirrored on the uniform pant lines and shoulder panels for unified positioning of the Orange as New York's college team."

The whole quote is nonsense because last time I checked Syracuse wasn't part of New York City. As for the bold part? I'm not sure what "unified positioning of the Orange" actually means. It's just nonsense.

Adidas tred tire trend. At least Nike only does it with a few, Adidas gets an idea and pumps it out onto everyone of their schools

Adidas is just trying to play catchup to Nike, and not in a good way. Nike started all of this craziness and now everyone wants a piece so as not to be left out.

Last I checked, Syracuse is part of New York State though

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

We just had this discussion earlier in this very thread. What does Adidas have to do with Nike's crappy designs. Why does anybody think Adidas messes make Nike's messes better? If you want to start a thread to discuss how terrible Adidas' current crop of NCAA garbage is, I'll be happy to post and agree with you. This thread is about how Nike took a giant dump on the state of Florida.

Because I wanted to say that Nike isn't alone and is by far not the worst. Like it's been said, both looks are a tweak away from looking good. As for the dumping of florida thing, at least they got the dolphins right. Fins have a top 10 uni in league now thanks to Nike

Because I wanted to say that Nike isn't alone and is by far not the worst. Like it's been said, both looks are a tweak away from looking good. As for the dumping of florida thing, at least they got the dolphins right. Fins have a top 10 uni in league now thanks to Nike

Well, both of those statements are your opinion, and you are absolutely entitled to it. However, I believe either of those opinions would put you into a pretty small minority, at least around here.

The difference being that no on in 1975 was using comically large logos, chrome facemasks, half-and-half helmets, or trying too hard propietary number fonts.

No, but there were clearly different fads/trends back then that teams and manufacturers thought looked good, as evidenced by so many different teams using the same elements.
Not really. "Sleeve stripes" aren't a fad. Evidenced by the fact that they're still very much in style. They're the tailored suit of football aesthetics. It's just what looks good.

Another thing to consider. Sports marketing wasn't what it is today. The Dolphins and the Packers share sleeve stripe designs? Who cares? You can tell them apart. That's all that really mattered.

But even without the sports marketing there is today, there were still unique uniforms that stood out back then, like the Rams' and the Chargers'.
The Rams, Chargers, and Bengals all managed to have unique elements that were restrained by traditional football aesthetics, and they looked great as a result.

While Nike isn't responsible for the current Bengals and Chargers' looks you can still see the results of too much creativity being a bad thing.

It used to be that the Chargers' bolts and Bengals' tiger stripes were held in check by the limits of a traditional football template, the UCLA look. You had the stripes, but the unique elements were placed inside. This gave each team a unique look that worked because it showed restraint.

Now the restraints are gone and you have a dumpster fire of out of control and wrong coloured tiger stripes, backwards and wavy lightning bolts, pointless panels and two ugly proprietary number fonts. In short the restrictions of a classic football template made those unique elements stand out in a positive way whereas without those restraints the uniforms are a mess from a design standpoint. Creativity run amok.

Now though? Nike's started the trend of hyping up uniform design and emphasizing every element with bs corporate speak. So reused design elements become more egregious when they're coming from guys who can't shut up about their own supposed creativity.

Flowery press releases are hardly a Nike invention, there's a whole thread full of them stickied at the top of this forum after all.
And you know what? The Dolphins and Packers from 1975 both look better then the Bucs and Jags do today.

The 2014 Dolphins.

Close. But the 2014 Dolphins IMO look better than the 1975 Dolphins. The original design clean number font and small logos and need of more orange that is a few tweaks away from being brilliant nets ripping of another teams design.

and while the jags and buccos both look terrible I fail to see the similarity in those designs.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

It's because Adidas and underarmour and Russell, and reebok are all part of the problem too. You cant simply have a thread bashing on just nike when these other companies deserve some of the blame as well, and you can point to times when other companies do the same thing that are being bashed for nike (Adidas NBA Christmas uniforms, Adidas soccer, under armor pride uniforms, Russell patterns everywhere, ect

It's because Adidas and underarmour and Russell, and reebok are all part of the problem too. You cant simply have a thread bashing on just nike when these other companies deserve some of the blame as well, and you can point to times when other companies do the same thing that are being bashed for nike (Adidas NBA Christmas uniforms, Adidas soccer, under armor pride uniforms, Russell patterns everywhere, ect
Exactly. That's my biggest gripe around here-everyone hates Nike because they're Nike. Yes, they started the problem, but still are by far the best manufacturer/designer out there. Under Armor is getting there, but still are a little rough with some stuff, and Adidas and Russell are laughing stocks when it comes to designing uniforms. Nike gets the blunt of the talk because they're the biggest name, but they hit more than they miss. Even though both teams looked better before, take away the jags helmet and they aren't bad at all and take away the bucs numbers and they are respectable.

DgjIDtD.jpg

I thought we had already found all the ways this uniform could look bad, but apparently we were wrong. The glow on the numbers looks like schist.

And to accompany the awful jerseys, 3 points? I don't really care if it's a preseason game. Three :censored: ing points midway through the 3rd?! Look at that :censored: ing score. That's just pathetic.

The Bucs offensive line was physically dominated. By the way, the red uniforms looks GREAT in person, I still wish they would have done an orange helmet.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

The 2014 Dolphins.

Close. But the 2014 Dolphins IMO look better than the 1975 Dolphins. The original design clean number font and small logos and need of more orange that is a few tweaks away from being brilliant nets ripping of another teams design.

and while the jags and buccos both look terrible I fail to see the similarity in those designs.

Dolphins white facemask sucks...helmet stripe too wide (and goofy)...jersey numbers suck...teal pants stripe is way too big...minimal use of orange that isn't seen at all on TV...other than all that, uniform perfection?

It's because Adidas and underarmour and Russell, and reebok are all part of the problem too.
Reebok is Adidas.

You cant simply have a thread bashing on just nike when these other companies deserve some of the blame as well

Yes, we can. Nike started this crazy train and they're the ones supplying the NFL. So yeah, we can talk about Nike in the NFL thread.

No, Nike didn't invent the bs corporate press release but they've mastered it as far as uniform unveilings go. I swear, they're issuing sentences that don't actually mean anything at this point.

"Custom numbers appear tall and narrow, mimicking the height of New York Citys skyline. The numbers also feature a unique 44-degree linear V pattern. This pattern is mirrored on the uniform pant lines and shoulder panels for unified positioning of the Orange as New York's college team."

The whole quote is nonsense because last time I checked Syracuse wasn't part of New York City. As for the bold part? I'm not sure what "unified positioning of the Orange" actually means. It's just nonsense.

Adidas is just trying to play catchup to Nike, and not in a good way. Nike started all of this craziness and now everyone wants a piece so as not to be left out.

And Nike's press release mentioned New York City, not New York State. So I stand by what I said. A load of nonsense.

It's because Adidas and underarmour and Russell, and reebok are all part of the problem too.
Reebok is Adidas.

You cant simply have a thread bashing on just nike when these other companies deserve some of the blame as well

Yes, we can. Nike started this crazy train and they're the ones supplying the NFL. So yeah, we can talk about Nike in the NFL thread.

And Nike's press release mentioned New York City, not New York State. So I stand by what I said. A load of nonsense.
you can mention nike but you cant just dismiss the other offenders because they arent Nike. You should bash the other companies just as hard when they do the same thing but worse.

The 2014 Dolphins.

Dolphins white facemask sucks...helmet stripe too wide (and goofy)...jersey numbers suck...teal pants stripe is way too big...minimal use of orange that isn't seen at all on TV...other than all that, uniform perfection?
Helmet stripe looks perfectly normal to me, pants stripe is a bit big, would love to see more orange, the #s aren't that different than the block font everybody had in 1975, it's a decent look with a few tweaks away from a great look, not uniform perfection.

EDIT: I accidentally double quoted (I think that's what it's called) is there a way to delete that but keep my posts.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Reebok is Adidas.

you can mention nike but you cant just dismiss the other offenders because they arent Nike. You should bash the other companies just as hard when they do the same thing but worse.

But this is a thread that's SPECIFICALLY about the uniforms of two teams... the Jags and the Bucs. Two teams that just had their uniforms redesigned by Nike, and who play in a league in which every uniform has a Nike logo on the sleeve. In this case, their are NO "other offenders"! Bringing up "other offenders" does not excuse these two horrific monstrosities.

Weird last I checked these are 2014 nfl changes we are talking about.....and not 2015 nfl changes.

See why its not a good idea to make a thread for NEXT year so early? I say at least wait til the season is halfway through.

In my defense (and to avoid the wrath of the mods), I started this topic on the Rams and Browns. The Eagles post was only relevant because of the alternate possibly coming. Whoever posted the Bucs/Jags stuff has hijacked it..... I intended to discuss articles clearly talking about 2015 and forward. Looks like that's "so yesterday" now......

Reebok is Adidas.

I'll back this up. Syracuse is almost 250 miles from NYC. It's almost as absurd as a Houston team trying to take inspiration from Dallas.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived