NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

JimmySmith.jpg

That's the best the Jags have ever looked. That the corresponding home...

brunella_zpsa95a208b.jpg

...were perfect. They never should have changed.

Right. THAT was the first Jags uni I was talking about. Before the side panels, before the custom fonts, and before black started to dominate. That uniform with the solid pants pants and solid black socks that someone posted earlier was a nightmare. Just like when the Ravens and the Saints do the black from the waist down look... my least favorite look in football.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this thread and highlights from that game. Puke. The Buccaneers and Jaguars have ruined their identities top to bottom while their perfect looks have been shat on and left in the past. It's tragic.

That new Tampa Bay logo is such a downgrade it physically makes me angry. The old one looks like it was lifted off a treasure map. The new one looks like something on generic pirate themed stuff you'd find a party supplies store.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ooh!!! Yay! I just noticed ANOTHER aspect of the Bucs new uniforms that is absolutely atrocious. Why in the hell do the red jerseys have white numbers on the body of the jersey, yet have red numbers on the pewter yoke? I don't care how shiny the outlines are, that makes the shoulder numbers damn near impossible to read from more than a few feet away.

God. Just burn this set already.

Dear lord I hadn't realised that.

Every single new thing I notice about these is something else that's stupid, illogical and ugly. I honestly think it might be the worst full time set ever in a major professional sport.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Notice the top serif on the '1' got smaller. Any other tweaks like this for any other teams?

Yes. With the switch to Nike, a few teams with a classic block font got switched. The Redskins and Chiefs come to mind. Their front numbers were narrowed and thinned out. Also, the sleeve/shoulder numbers are now wispy and awful.

jamaal-charles.jpgJamaal+Charles+Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+New+

130731112426-brian-orakpo-washington-redhi-res-8026256_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=42

Also, the Saints' front numbers are now shorter, narrower, and thinner.

drew-brees-077641035.jpg940x.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Because there are tons of oil derricks in Tennessee...

Because there are tons of titans in Tennessee...
Well, the Titans used to be in New York before becoming the Jets, so don't be confused by the ones in Tennessee. But Oilers instead of Texans in Houston (who used to be in Dallas) would be Orwellian revisionist NFL history. Oh, what's that? The remnants of the original Texans became the Baltimore Colts who don't recognize that history? Oh boy...

Well, the Titans used to be in New York before becoming the Jets, so don't be confused by the ones in Tennessee. But Oilers instead of Texans in Houston (who used to be in Dallas) would be Orwellian revisionist NFL history. Oh, what's that? The remnants of the original Texans became the Baltimore Colts who don't recognize that history? Oh boy...

Didn't the Dallas Texans become the Kansas City Chiefs?

Any truth to what I've heard about the Giants bringing back the red uni's this year or next and are thinking of going back to a modernized version of the LT era jerseys but keeping the helmet as is? I had a discussion with some friends at a bar (I know, not the most credible sources) who were insisting that the Giants are bringing it back and I just haven't heard somehow (yet I've been frequenting this board for almost 10 years and to my knowledge they don't know much about sports aesthetics and the stuff we love here). It's wondering if there is any truth to it or they're just blowing smoke because I haven't seen or heard anything but I would welcome the change back to the old jerseys. They were most likely pulling my leg...right?!

GO NETS.

You're confusing the AFL Dallas Texans of 1960-1962 with the NFL Dallas Texans of 1952. Not to be confused with today's Houston Texans, of course. But I'm just a revisionist NFL historian...what do I know?

It bothers you that there is the same shape of a stripe on both pants? So should only one team be allowed to have a thin rectangle stripe down the side of their pants? Check out their preseason matchup a couple days ago:

The triangle/rectangle hybrid shape is the same on both, yes, but they're in reverse directions, and the Bucs only have the insert on the top while the Jags have it on the top and bottom. I don't see how this is different from some teams having single thin rectangles down the length of their pants, some teams having thin rectangles with single lines on each side, etc. It's just a modern interpretation of that theme and variation.

Now let's put the fonts side-by-side (or top-and-bottom):

That's too similar for you? Damn, I wonder what you think of teams with standard block fonts.

I feel like my tone is pretty harsh, and I do think the Bucs look like garbage, particularly relative to their previous look, and I'm not a huge fan of the Jags look either, but I don't think they look anything similar except for that pants stripe, which I hope to have shown is varied enough. Yes, when you create a template you run the risk of having your teams look the same, but I think Nike is running the risk of that in college football, not the NFL (c.f. the triangular insert on each side of the upper chest of the new Nike NCAAF template that allegedly represents that jaws of Husky Stadium for UDub and a million other things for every other team that's getting them). I just want to make sure that the Nike-bashing isn't just reactionaries being against modern design. It's a lot easier to bash Adidas uniforms all looking the same, where you can point to three stripes on every jersey.

14859517106_30daa7069e_o.png
Looks like the Arena Football Tampa Bay Hot Mess vs the Jacksonville BlackGold Kats.

You're confusing the AFL Dallas Texans of 1960-1962 with the NFL Dallas Texans of 1952. Not to be confused with today's Houston Texans, of course. But I'm just a revisionist NFL historian...what do I know?

Yes, somehow that stupid name is on it's THIRD iteration in the AFL/NFL.

Yes, somehow that stupid name is on it's THIRD iteration in the AFL/NFL.

Never knew about the 1st time it was used.

Ooh!!! Yay! I just noticed ANOTHER aspect of the Bucs new uniforms that is absolutely atrocious. Why in the hell do the red jerseys have white numbers on the body of the jersey, yet have red numbers on the pewter yoke? I don't care how shiny the outlines are, that makes the shoulder numbers damn near impossible to read from more than a few feet away.

Every single new thing I notice about these is something else that's stupid, illogical and ugly. I honestly think it might be the worst full time set ever in a major professional sport.

The Titans have white numbers on the body of the light blue jersey, and light blue numbers on the yoke.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Can the Jaguars just bring back these uniforms already?

By the time they wore this combination, the road uniform was already a mess. Solid black from the waist down? Ick.

The truth is, the Jags never looked better than in their first season... every change has been a step down, with the last two being a giant leap off a cliff.

I think that road look is actually my single favorite set from the Jags' history. I'd much rather them be the black and white and gold trim team of the NFL than a teal and black team with white and gold trim.

I don't like how low Fred Taylor wore his socks with these, but with half or 3/4 to the knees socks, they have the right balance:

I actually liked the black pants that came before the one you see above.

Granted, these black pants should only be worn with the black tops.

The teal numbers on the white were great.

But I agree the black sides for that one full season was a mess

As much as I liked the the number font they used in those sets, there's something about the original one that is just so nice. The balance of colors was perfect.

JimmySmith.jpg

Despite the bad luck in big games, those Broncos unis are in my top 3 uniforms of all time. Especially the home orange.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Titans were from Greek mythology and Nashville has connections to ancient Greece, including an annual Greek festival and a replica of the Parthenon.

This. I'm glad the Oilers name was dropped as it had nothing to do with Nashville or the state. Could you imagine the stupidty of the Kansas City Texans? Why the Jazz and Lakers have kept their names blows my mind.

Well, son, I was hinting that they should still be in Houston playing as the Oilers...maybe they were before your time.
And Houston eventually got a new NFL team. The city should be extremely grateful.

They should be lucky that the legislators in charge of the "Los Angeles NFL franchise" in the late-1990s were able to f#ck up things so badly, to the point of Bob McNair winning a re-bid for the team which eventually became the Texans.

Yeah thankfully cooler heads prevailed and LA taxpayers were spared from subsidizing a multi-billion $ enterprise.

The Titans have white numbers on the body of the light blue jersey, and light blue numbers on the yoke.

That's something that has always bothered me about that jersey. Similar reason why I didn't like the v1 royal blue Patriots either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To be honest, I don't think they look THAT similar. A case could be made for far more NFL teams with "classic" or "timeless" uniforms that look a lot more similar than Jacksonville and Tampa Bay.

• Numbers - yes, Jax and TB both have pointed serifs, but they look far less similar to each other compared to about 20+ other teams in the NFL
  • Pants Stripe - One has the top point directed to the back of the pants, the other has point towards the front. One pant stripe is 2 colors, the other is 3 colors. One extends down to the socks, the other does not. Do I really even need to compare this to the Saints, Browns, Cowboys, Packers, Bears, Bills, Texans, Titans, 49ers, Redskins, and Chiefs (The only difference being color and MAYBE stripe thickness)?
  • The jersey designs are very different... but don't need to go in to that.

Just because these uniforms are new doesn't mean they are bolt on changes like we have seen somewhat in college. Uniforms from the "glory years" or the traditional styles are wayyy more similar in nature than the Jaguars and Buccaneers are. Nike has a very clear vision of what they want. They want the uniforms to translate well on TV. That is their motivating factor. That is why so many of the rebrands in the college ranks are so minimalistic or oversize (FSU's pattern on the sleeves).

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived