Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

Here, you can talk about what you feel is the worst days of your life you have had to endure as a sports fan. Here goes........

---

Mine would be the 1994 and 2011 Stanley Cup finals, both involving the Canucks losing in the 7th and deciding game against the NY Rangers and Boston Bruins, respectively. Both times, a riot ensued in Vancouver, and I was just THAT upset about what was going on in that city afterwards. I quickly denounced those who partook and instigated both riots as having NO SOUL whatsoever. Hard to believe that it really has been 20 years since the Canucks made that amazing run.

The 2001 ALCS. The Seattle Mariners, having won 116 games in the regular season, go up against the New York Yankees amidst the backdrop of 9/11. The Mariners lose the series in 5; as a matter of fact, one of my friends blames Osama bin Laden for sucking the air out of what would have been a storybook season for the M's. They have yet to return to the playoffs as of presstime.

Super Bowl XL. I'm not as worked up about it now as I was then, but after the game, I felt like my dream had been dashed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. But alas, the Hawks win in SB XLVIII (and to a lesser extent, sorry Packers fans, the Fail Mary) has taken away quite a bit of that pain.

And the worst day of all for me as a sports fan? They day that the Sonics were moving to OKC. The wound is still there with me today.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2012 NFL Playoffs. Redskins vs Seahawks. I dropped over $400 on a ticket for that game. RG3 hurt his knee. Redskins loss to Seattle in the playoffs again.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

10/7/13

Braves lose in the NLDS (again) because Fredi Gonzalez decides that he'd rather keep David Carpenter in the game instead of bringing in the best closer in baseball for a 2-inning save. Juan Uribe tries to bunt, fails, swings away, and hits the homer that basically ended the Braves season while Craig Kimbrel looks on in disgust. What made this even worse is that they got a decent enough start from Fredy Garcia and it all went to waste because our manager is basically a robot when it comes to bullpen management.

Shortly before that turn of events, the Falcons season basically ended before it started: As the defense made Geno Smith look like Peyton Manning, the Falcons fall to 1-4 thanks to a last-second FG to lose, and Julio Jones breaks his foot in the process and he's out for the season.

So basically, 2 of my favorite teams were eliminated in one night.That was a fun night! :sleepy:

Got a few:

• 2001-2007 Devil Rays: Every year was just bad.
  • 2008 World Series: The Rays could've taken the series lead in Game 3 (and might've won the whole thing) if they didn't give up the walk-off hit by Carlos Ruiz. But it was Game 5 that truly :censored: me off because of the rain. When it happened, it was a 2-2 tie and because of it the Phillies scored a run and never looked back to win the series.
  • 2010 and 2011 ALDS: Both times eliminated by Texas. :angered:
  • 2004 and 2005 NFL playoffs: It was common to see the Colts get knocked out of the playoffs by the Patriots (Thank God for 2006)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Bears losing the Super Bowl to the Colts, obviously, and before Zach can even chime in:

215YMIN.gif

And the Bartman game/07 Cubs/Dodgers series.

I'm not going to elaborate because nobody cares.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just happened.

May 16, 2014 - Stanley Cup Playoffs, Round 2, Game 7: Anaheim Ducks vs Los Angeles Kings.

It was supposed to be the epic culmination of the first ever all-SoCal playoff series. I was amped up all day, left work early, got to the Pond, got a few drinks in. The tension in the arena was palpable. Fans from both teams, completely jacked up at the start of the game. Most energy in the building in a long while. Then the game started... Everybody in the arena was ready... except the Ducks.

It wasn't ever a game. It was a funeral march from the start. Kings were jumped on the Ducks early. Mr. Game 7, Justin Williams, scored the Kings first goal, and I got a sinking feeling. Things weren't on our side. Then it was 2-0. Corey Perry had a golden opportunity to get the Ducks in it, but completely botched it on a flat out awful penalty shot attempt. 3-0 after the first. 4-0 early in the second. Ducks finally switch goalies. (What does it matter then? It was over at 2-0.) Then it was 5-0. Then the Ducks showed some spark of life and brought it back to 5-2, but who was I kidding? They had some chances, but completely flubbed them. Final score, 6-2.

And worst of all, that's how Teemu Selanne's career ends. One of the biggest games in Ducks history, probably the biggest game in SoCal hockey history, is reduced to just watching the clock tick down and shaving off the last seconds of my childhood hero's career. The only silver lining to it was that despite the blowout, almost everybody stayed until the end because they knew this was the end for No. 8. Almost everybody stayed to give Teemu his due. (Even the Kings, and as much as I hate them, I will always credit them with the respect they showed Teemu.) I spent the last half of the game only watching him and tracking him around the ice. I was in shambles.

TL;DR - Blowout Game 7 loss to your hated rival on your home ice with their fans chanting "this is our house" in your house as your childhood hero's career ends... Just the absolute worst.

---

There's a few others:

- Mighty Ducks shut out in Game 7 of the Final in New Jersey in 2003

- Ducks lying down in Game 7 vs Detroit last year

- Pick any one of the Angels first round demolitions by the Red Sox in 2004/2007/2008

- any of the Colts losses to the Patriots

- Colts losing to Pittsburgh in 2005 on a shoestring tackle by Big Ben and on the leg of our "liquored-up idiot kicker"

- Lakers losing in a blowout Game 6 in Boston in 2008

But that one... that's going to take a lot to top in my lifetime.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Here, you can talk about what you feel is the worst days of your life you have had to endure as a sports fan. Here goes........

---

Mine would be the 1994 and 2011 Stanley Cup finals, both involving the Canucks losing in the 7th and deciding game against the NY Rangers and Boston Bruins, respectively. Both times, a riot ensued in Vancouver, and I was just THAT upset about what was going on in that city afterwards. I quickly denounced those who partook and instigated both riots as having NO SOUL whatsoever. Hard to believe that it really has been 20 years since the Canucks made that amazing run.

The 2001 ALCS. The Seattle Mariners, having won 116 games in the regular season, go up against the New York Yankees amidst the backdrop of 9/11. The Mariners lose the series in 5; as a matter of fact, one of my friends blames Osama bin Laden for sucking the air out of what would have been a storybook season for the M's. They have yet to return to the playoffs as of presstime.

Super Bowl XL. I'm not as worked up about it now as I was then, but after the game, I felt like my dream had been dashed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. But alas, the Hawks win in SB XLVIII (and to a lesser extent, sorry Packers fans, the Fail Mary) has taken away quite a bit of that pain.

And the worst day of all for me as a sports fan? They day that the Sonics were moving to OKC. The wound is still there with me today.

You know being a cardinals fan i feel ya with the steelers.I hate them so much, especially since I was at super bowl XLIII when they beat the cards. The steelers ripped my heart right into pieces in that game. Unberable. And also being a cardinals fan when the seahawks beat us 58-0 two years ago. that was bad.

a2BRS8U.png

September 6-11, 2010: Heart-breaking loss vs. Boise, and then a humiliating defeat vs. James Madison.

2009-2013: Some pretty bad Wizards seasons.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

- MARLON :censored:ING MCCREE.

- Both of Kaeding's chokejobs against the Jets

- Sam Cassell's 8 second violation followed by Raja Bell's clutch three in Daniel Ewing's eye. This was especially painful because we had a foul to give and didn't use it with 1.1 seconds left. Raja should have never even been allowed to catch-and-shoot. The Clippers blew the series in 7 and still haven't made it past the second round.

- The screwjob of the Expos (this is stretching it a bit, as it's more like years than days)

- Brotzman

Recent one: Game 5 against OKC. Between the WWF-esque officiating from Tony Brothers and CP3's humiliating meltdown, that one's going to sting forever.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Ducks losing Game 7 to the Kings was a hard one to swallow - but I wasn't able to watch it anyway.

One of the worst I recall was against the Red Wings in 2008-09. Down 3-2 in the series, the Ducks tied it up in Game 6 only to then fart the game away in the last three minutes of Game 7. Pretty typical of the Randy Carlyle coached Ducks and their increasingly stale playstyle.

Also the 2010-11 series against Nashville. The Carlyle-coached Ducks, Carlyle-coached Ducking.The Preds, diving and getting away with it. Worst of all, Bobby Ryan stomping on Jonathon Blum's foot, a fatal mistake that cost Anaheim the series as his suspension and then return in Game 6 made a Goddamn mess of whatever chemistry the team may have had before tossing away any chance at tying the series.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, had the Yankee infield was back in DP depth, that game was going into extra innings, it didn't help that Rivera threw a UFO into center field either.

And the 2004 ALCS collapse....

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Bulls lose to the Pistons in 1990. Magic Johnson's 1991 retirement and HIV announcement. Michael Jordan's 1st retirement 1993. Bulls blow lead in Game 6 of 1995 series vs Magic. Mariners lose to Cleveland in 1995 ALCS. Randy Johnson's 1998 trade to Houston. Ken Griffey Jr.'s 2000 trade to the Reds/November 1999 trade demand. Dave Niehaus's 2010 passing.

Any time the Rays got no hit, or in 2009 the Rays were 20 games behind New York, and I got free tickets to see the season finale at the Trop. The Yankees scored 10 runs in one inning and A-Rod hit a grand slam a section over from me.

I'm sure there's more.

One of the worst I recall was against the Red Wings in 2008-09. Down 3-2 in the series, the Ducks tied it up in Game 6 only to then fart the game away in the last three minutes of Game 7. Pretty typical of the Randy Carlyle coached Ducks and their increasingly stale playstyle.

I don't remember that as the Ducks "fart(ing) the game away" in Game 7. I remember it as Dan Cleary shoving Hiller's pad (and the puck) over the line for the game-winning goal. (Which, of course, is illegal, but hey, Detroit.) That one stung, because I thought if the Ducks got by Detroit I thought they could have taken Chicago in the West and Pittsburgh in the Final, but it also wasn't as bad because we convincingly beat the President's Trophy-winning Sharks in the first round. (Also because I didn't want to just list every Ducks playoff exit :lol: )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived