Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

January 13th, 2008. Divisional Round: Giants 21, Cowboys 17.

We had beaten the Giants twice that year. Had our best season in 12 years. Finished as the #1 seed and looked destined to meet the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. The game never felt right from the start. I believe the Giants scored first and took the crowd right out of it. Later in the game Patrick f***ing Crayton dropped a wide open pass on a 3rd and short and if he had caught it, he had nothing but open grass in front of him. The game ended with Romo throwing a pick while trying to force it to Terry Glenn the end zone. That was the first and only time I've cried after a loss. Keep in mind I'm only 23 and that team was the best Cowboys team I've ever seen. I still don't think I've recovered fully from this loss, football wise.

June 17th, 2008. NBA Finals, Game Six: Celtics 131, Lakers 92.

The Lakers and Celtics are playing each other for the championship for the first time in my life time. And how do the Lakers respond? By being utterly dominated. This loss stung for a while but the next two consecutive Championships certainly helped me forget about this day.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2006 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 - Oilers lose to Carolina. Hell of a run, I was too young to remember Edmonton's dynasty days but with this miracle run to the Finals and the support they had was an awesome ride. Even with losing Roli in Game 1, for the chance at Game 7 winner-take-all, we'll take it. I remember it was 2-1 with less then 4 minutes left and Ward makes a stretch pad save on Pisani for Edmonton's last best shot on goal.

2009 Grey Cup - Roughriders lose to the Alouettes on the 13th Man penalty and then the successful re-kick field goal on the last play of the game. This one hurt to the core, having think you won the Championship...only to have it ripped away on a re-play of a down.

2006 World Cup semi Final. It was supposed to be our world cup. Everybody was so hyped in Germany after the win on penalties against Argentina and then we lose in such a painful way against a team that should have already been eliminated by Australia if it wasn't for a BS penalty the got in stoppage time.

2006 Japanese F1 GP. When Schumachers engine blew I knew it was all over, we was tied for the lead in the championship and it wuld have been amazing to see him get Title 8 in his final season. Obviously after that engine failure he went into the final race 10 points behind Alonso without any real chance.

2014 F1 season. Basically every race is a pain to watch if your favorite driver is not winning, specially when this means the streak of 4 consecutive titles will end. Vettel doesn'treally deserve to lose in any way since he is cleary the best driver in the field.

In chronological order...

September 1978 - A relatively meaningless day, probably for those involved in their games, but one in which the Philadelphia Phillies won and the Pittsburgh Pirates lost, thus eliminating the Pirates from contention in the National League East. Age 8, I cried, not really knowing that the Pirates being in contention on an annual basis was (at the time) commonplace. The following season made up for it.

1979 - I cheered as my Orioles took a 3-1 Series lead over the Pittsburgh Pirates and then watched it all slip away as the O's scored only 2 runs in the final 3 games and lost the Series in 7 games.

Meanwhile, the above were, without a doubt, the most nerve-wracking, yet happy times of mine as a fan. The only time in my life to date where I felt adrenaline pump while watching a sports event. That '79 series was great on many levels.

November 7, 1995 was the worst day of my life in terms of sports. On that day, Art Modell announced that he was moving the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore.

This is my worst day as a sports fan because it would be the last day I was truly a 'sports fan' of any professional team. I didn't feel quite the level of betrayal that others did, didn't blame Baltimore, nor did I blame the NFL. But it removed in me any semblance of 'rooting' for a particular team, and it did so permanently save one exception.

That day and its events taught me that ultimately professional sports is, first, last and always, a business; and that we're customers, without a vested interest. It taught me that pulling for a Cleveland Browns or a Los Angeles Angels of El Segundo, Pomona and Barstow is in many ways akin to someone not holding any stock hoping IBM or Microsoft has a good financial quarter.

I've held that mindset since, save for the Pittsburgh Pirates, whom I now follow again due to relatively stable ownership and that I'm rediscovering my enjoyment of baseball as a sport.

nav-logo.png

My worst day is still the day the North Stars finalized their move to Dallas in 1993, but that was an off-ice event.

My worst memory from actual competition came in 2012, when the Minnesota Swarm (having just won their first-ever playoff game) hosted the Edmonton Rush in the National Lacrosse League's West Division Final. Had they won that game, they would have hosted the Champion's Cup Final the following week as well, against a Rochester team they beat at home earlier in the season. Alas, Edmonton picked (almost) the perfect time to get crazy-stupid-hot. The Swarm ended up getting shredded 15-3, still the worst loss in franchise history. (Edmonton wound up losing the Final in Rochester, hence the "almost".) So, two years later when Brazil got similarly shredded at home by Germany in the World Cup semis, I knew exactly how their fans felt.

CCSLC signature.png

I just realized this may be the worst year of my sports life. The Seahawks win the Super Bowl, beating the 49ers on the way there. The Kings win the Cup, beating the Ducks on the way there. I believe the Sterling fiasco contributed to the Clippers' demise in the playoffs. And the Giants are poop. Ironically, all of my teams have actually been pretty good except for the Giants. It's just that their rivals have been better.

January 9, 2012

Throw in the fact I live in Illinois, quite a bit of my outer-circle of friends took the time to tell me how much LSU sucked that game the night of via texts/Facebook, and those are people who will never understand my passion for the team. I took a lot of grief over it. I still can't look at anything that has to do with that game and I'm not sure I'll ever get over it.

March 17, 2012- I forgot to post this one, but I'll never forget this day. My parents got tickets to the CCHA championship game, and I was beyond excited because my favorite college, the University of Michigan, was taking on Western Michigan in the finals at Joe Louis Arena. I was hoping to see the Wolverines win in the first game of any of their athletic teams I have seen in person (so far, I have only gone to this one game that featured the maize and blue). What I saw was far from a win. Though the final score ended up being 3-2, it felt like a blowout to me. Sure, it was a close game, but my thoughts were drowned out by the crowd. You see, the four of us (my parents, my brother, and I) somehow got tickets that were sandwiched in between all of the loud, obnoxious Western Michigan fans. So every time the Broncos scored a goal, I couldn't hear myself think (it was bad enough before, as I felt a small headache developing already). I was use to seeing my favorite teams lose before (after all, I'm a Lions fan), but I couldn't stand the noise. We eventually went home early in the second period.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

June 15, 2011

No explanation needed

No, actually, there is.

Vancouver + "fake" fans.

------------

SB 42 was the worst day. Seriously felt like driving off a cliff when Tyree made the catch. If Asante Samuel didn't whiff on that INT...

SB 46 was similar, but not as bad. When the first offensive drive results in a safety from intentional grounding, it's probably not the most promising Super Bowl.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived