Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

From what I read-up on, the actual event was way overblown and too much hype for what actually transpired. But the real complain about this is the overgouging of ticket prices by some fans and scalpels on the secondary market, despite Dodger Stadium's double capacity of either of the team's usual arenas. Even at the last minute, they were still a ripoff, and it was a good call for me not to go because the game was boring to watch at times (maybe even Ducks fans for it being a blowout win on their side had to have been bored how it went). Remember, it was the time period the Kings began to slide down the Pacific when they half-assed in this game.

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

From what I read-up on, the actual event was way overblown and too much hype for what actually transpired. But the real complain about this is the overgouging of ticket prices by some fans and scalpels on the secondary market, despite Dodger Stadium's double capacity of either of the team's usual arenas. Even at the last minute, they were still a ripoff, and it was a good call for me not to go because the game was boring to watch at times (maybe even Ducks fans for it being a blowout win on their side had to have been bored how it went). Remember, it was the time period the Kings began to slide down the Pacific when they half-assed in this game.

What does either of the teams' arena capacities have to do with anything? When you have a high-demand one-time event, and only 55,000 seats in a city of 15 million, prices aren't going to remain the same as if it was a regular in-arena game.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

As a Kings fan, being upset that the Ducks won the cup is one thing (debatable, but I acknowledge not liking when the Packers win the Super Bowl)

But a "worst day" related to a regular season loss that happened to be on a bigger stage? I don't get that. Unless I am misunderstanding the reason this is here...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

As a Kings fan, being upset that the Ducks won the cup is one thing (debatable, but I acknowledge not liking when the Packers win the Super Bowl)

But a "worst day" related to a regular season loss that happened to be on a bigger stage? I don't get that. Unless I am misunderstanding the reason this is here...

At the very least, I would think that eliminating the Ducks from the playoffs on the way to winning the Stanley Cup in the very same season would be sweet enough revenge to keep the Stadium Series out of your "worst days"

This is easy for me. I remeber all of them like yesterday:

• New York Mets (MLB): 2006 NLCS Game 7. Mets took the league by storm that year finishing 10 games ahead of the whole NL East and for one of them very rare times, were the team of New York. Played a mediocre Saint Louis Cardinals team in the NLCS and went into Game 7. Watch that game in my dorm room at college and it was close till the 8th or 9th inning. Aaron Heilman comes in and is making me anxious which his pitching. Yadier Molina comes in a smacks a HR putting the Cards in the lead. Mets get two outs and Beltran is at the plate and now has two strikes. Wainwright throws a weird pitch straight down the middle fooling Beltran and he just watches it. STRIKE 3. It was a home run hittable ball that Wainright fooled him with. Last time I cried, watching my team lose. Followed up with two collapses in 2007 and 2008 where the hated Phillies not only one the NL East both years but won the WS in 2008 all this while going to school in Philadelphia.
  • Portland Trail Blazers (NBA): 2000 WCF. If there is any team that should've won multiple titles and didn't, it has to be the Portland Trail Blazers. Had a bomb squad. So good that their backups could've a been a playoff team. had my favorite player Scottie Pippen, Red-hot, hot-head Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Might Mouse, Sabonis. The whole year they went back and forth with the Lakers who were nothing more than Shaq, Kobe and a bunch three point shooters. They meets in the WCF, go 7 games. Portland was winning by 15 going into the fourth. Then all of a sudden, Brian Shaw of all people starts making threes. The Lakers win with emphasis with an alley from Kobe to Shaq. Till this day I can't watch that alley-oop (cried then too, lol).
  • Kansas City Chiefs (NFL): 2014 AFC Divisional (1st Round). If anyone watched that game and didn't feel pain for the Chiefs, I don't know. To be up by 30 points at halftime, see your top player got knocked out the game plus his backup, and the Colts come back and win by 1???? :evil: All this while Alex Smith played his best game ever!! To be 9-0 and have everyone doubt this team for them to lose this way.
  • Flordia Gators: I want to say the SEC title game in 2009 was really disappointing but last year (the whole year) was...smh. 4-8???

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Portland Trail Blazers (NBA): 2000 WCF. If there is any team that should've won multiple titles and didn't, it has to be the Portland Trail Blazers. Had a bomb squad. So good that their backups could've a been a playoff team. had my favorite player Scottie Pippen, Red-hot, hot-head Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Might Mouse, Sabonis. The whole year they went back and forth with the Lakers who were nothing more than Shaq, Kobe and a bunch three point shooters. They meets in the WCF, go 7 games. Portland was winning by 15 going into the fourth. Then all of a sudden, Brian Shaw of all people starts making threes. The Lakers win with emphasis with an alley from Kobe to Shaq. Till this day I can't watch that alley-oop (cried then too, lol).

I am in total agreement with you on this one. Losing to that fraud Laker team was frustrating. The Blazers probably win back to back titles if they win that game.

As for the Mets and 06, though, I am a Cardinal fan, and in my opinion, that was payback for 2000, when the inferior Mets beat the Cardinals. We should have had a Cards-A's WS that year, not the Subway Series.

2000 was a disappointing year for me as a sports fan. Not only did the Blazers and Cards lose to inferior teams, but Syracuse blew a big lead in the second half against Michigan State in the tourney. May have won it all that year if they didn't. Never got payback for it. They would have in 2003 if the Spartans beat Texas in the Regional Final, though. Also, if the Orange didn't lose to Butler in 2010, and if they would have got by Kansas State, they also would have gotten payback for that, and then beat Duke for the National Title.

Portland Trail Blazers (NBA): 2000 WCF. If there is any team that should've won multiple titles and didn't, it has to be the Portland Trail Blazers. Had a bomb squad. So good that their backups could've a been a playoff team. had my favorite player Scottie Pippen, Red-hot, hot-head Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Might Mouse, Sabonis. The whole year they went back and forth with the Lakers who were nothing more than Shaq, Kobe and a bunch three point shooters. They meets in the WCF, go 7 games. Portland was winning by 15 going into the fourth. Then all of a sudden, Brian Shaw of all people starts making threes. The Lakers win with emphasis with an alley from Kobe to Shaq. Till this day I can't watch that alley-oop (cried then too, lol).

I am in total agreement with you on this one. Losing to that fraud Laker team was frustrating. The Blazers probably win back to back titles if they win that game.

I think they would have won 11 in a row if they won that game....

Seriously, they didn't win one title, and all of a sudden, if they hadn't lost Game 7, they would have won back-to-back titles? What an assumption. Didn't the Lakers sweep the Blazers in 2001 in the first round? Didn't the Lakers win by at least 10 in all three of those games?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Seriously, they didn't win one title, and all of a sudden, if they hadn't lost Game 7, they would have won back-to-back titles? What an assumption. Didn't the Lakers sweep the Blazers in 2001 in the first round? Didn't the Lakers win by at least 10 in all three of those games?

If the Blazers won the title in 2000, Bob Whitsitt probably makes some different trades that make the team chemistry a little better, and doesn't bring in a guy like Shawn Kemp, who was overweight by that point.

The next year, the Blazers started 42-18 before bringing in PG Rod Strickland, a move that may have destroyed any chemistry this team had left. Then, they went out and lost to the 18-43 Grizzlies (who were in the Couv at the time). That was the beginning of an 8-14 finish that put them in the seventh seed, and by then, the Lakers were able to beat up on a team that was a shell of what it once was.

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

At the very least, I would think that eliminating the Ducks from the playoffs on the way to winning the Stanley Cup in the very same season would be sweet enough revenge to keep the Stadium Series out of your "worst days"

Ducks win the cup.

Stadium Series in LA.

I missed a family gathering which would be my first time in the Superdome (Monster Truck Jam) to watch this game on television. And we played like :censored: that game.

And yes I do hate the Ducks that much.

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

If the Blazers won the title in 2000, Bob Whitsitt probably makes some different trades that make the team chemistry a little better, and doesn't bring in a guy like Shawn Kemp, who was overweight by that point.

The next year, the Blazers started 42-18 before bringing in PG Rod Strickland, a move that may have destroyed any chemistry this team had left. Then, they went out and lost to the 18-43 Grizzlies (who were in the Couv at the time). That was the beginning of an 8-14 finish that put them in the seventh seed, and by then, the Lakers were able to beat up on a team that was a shell of what it once was.

Exactly. Took the words out of my mouth. I don't why or what happened but the Strickland signing destroyed the Blazers' chemistry plus in hindsight, the Dale Davis-Jermaine O'Neal trade didn't help. To that point they were neck and neck with Lakers and nosedived afterwards.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Exactly. Took the words out of my mouth. I don't why or what happened but the Strickland signing destroyed the Blazers' chemistry plus in hindsight, the Dale Davis-Jermaine O'Neal trade didn't help. To that point they were neck and neck with Lakers and nosedived afterwards.

I know. It sucked to see the Flukers (who you described as Shaq, Kobe and a bunch of three-point shooters, or who I used to describe as two players and a bunch of stiffs) win those three BS titles.

The worst sports days:

In 1974 when the city council and mayor of Schenectady NY could not agree on whether or not to constructed a 13K+ capacity arena at the site of the old American Locomotive factory, causing the Tri-City Comets of the ABA - plus possible teams in the WHA, AHL, MISL, etc - to never exist.

In 1979 when the mayor and city council listened to "concerned citizens" about the construction of a ballpark that would have housed the White Sox Eastern League affiliate, listening to their "worries" how the park would "attract underage teens and encourage them to drink." (As someone that was 15 at the time, I laughed when I heard them speak, since teens were drinking already AT THE SITE. The ballpark would have eliminated the party spot.) The team eventually went to Glens Falls, ironically the same small Adirondack foothills city that housed the Red Wings' AHL affiliate that could have been in Schenectady if the arena would have been built.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I will start off by saying I have never seen a single one of my teams win anything. Ever.

The 2012 SEC Championship Game. It was my senior year at Georgia and we were a very respectable 10-2. We went into that game knowing the odds were stacked against us but had optimism. I believe we were ranked #3. Knock off #1 Alabama and we would surely be in the title game.

The game kicked off and things went as well as possible. The team matched Alabama point for point. We even blocked a punt and took it back for a touchdown to go up by 11 points. At that moment, that exact moment in time where Ogletree is sprinting as fast as he can, my head was spinning actually believing anything was possible that day. I fell out of my chair going crazy on that touchdown. It felt like the impossible was coming true. Alabama was Goliath in the world of college football and Georgia was going to beat them.

This was the type of day you felt the perfect storm was brewing and you couldn't possibly ask to duplicate it again. It was the type of game where your pulse was pumping from 0:00 until 60:00 on the game clock.

Meanwhile our defense couldn't stop a single rush. I believe we gave up 330+ yards that day on the ground. And yet, the one drive we HAD to get the stop, we did. Alabama had to punt.

Two minutes to go and Georgia throws an interception. Game over. But wait, booth review shows it hit the ground. New life!

Georgia strings together the drive of their lives hitting 25 yard gain after 25 yard gain after starting deep in their own territory. A receiver gets completely leveled to take us inside the 20 and leaves the game.

The score leaves only 2 possibilities. There was no possible tie. Lose and you're done. Win and you not only take the SEC but the National Championship awaits.

The game clock kept ticking. I do not disagree with the call to not spike the ball. Georgia was manhandling the defense on the drive. It also prevented any personnel changes. A throw to the corner of the endzone would have been caught or gone out to stop the clock. There should have been 2 attempts left.

Then the improbable happens. The ball is tipped at the line, falls directly to Conley at the 5 yard line (what kind of receiver would purposely not catch the ball?) and there is no time left. No extra play. No SEC Championship, no National Championship. 5 yards short. 15 feet away from greatness. Completely stunned and wallowing in sports misery. My girlfriend unfortunately had to attend a wedding out of town that night. She called me to say she was sitting at the bar and had just seen the end of the game. She was crying.

That was the moment that will go with me until Georgia collects another championship. It will always matter, but the stinging will subdue a bit if we win one. I wasn't around for the 1980 ring.

Athens, GA was a ghost town that night. However, a brave 100-200 fans waited up to thank and cheer the players as they returned to town from Atlanta.

Occasionally I see the video of that final drive and I can't help but be mesmerized by it and watch it again. That was the game I would tell my kids about, and the one where the final drive would have its' own name. It would have lived forever in Georgia history.

I still haven't seen any of my teams (in any sport) win a championship since. The wait continues.

Archived