Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new one today.

At least the Rangers were expected to get manhandled by the LA Kings in June (they weren't even manhandled as 3 losses came in Overtime) but this is even worse: Manchester United got DESTROYED by League 1 club MK Dons in the League Cup. Completely embarrassed and outclassed!

According to your sig, you like the Yankees, UNC basketball, UConn basketball and Manchester United? I don't think you get to have worst memories as a sports fan -- you chose all the best teams!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

A new one today.

At least the Rangers were expected to get manhandled by the LA Kings in June (they weren't even manhandled as 3 losses came in Overtime) but this is even worse: Manchester United got DESTROYED by League 1 club MK Dons in the League Cup. Completely embarrassed and outclassed!

According to your sig, you like the Yankees, UNC basketball, UConn basketball and Manchester United? I don't think you get to have worst memories as a sports fan -- you chose all the best teams!

Well in his defense, the Yankees have sucked recently

A new one today.

I've rooted for those teams for a long time buddy. :)

This is easy...

October 12, 2012 - Game 5 of the NLDS watching the Nationals go to the top of the 9th with a 7-5 lead and Drew Storen (who had been lights out all season) on the mound. Cards score 4 in that half of the inning. Season over just like that. Never have I heard a sports venue go from being so raucous to dead silent in a split second. You could hear footsteps on the field. It's where the term "Pete F'n Kozma" came into Nats lore.

Sabres 1999 finals - foot in the crease

Blue Jays 1985 ALCS - walk Brett you idiots!

2001 Mariners vs Yankees - guess which American League team I switched to after Toronto?

Expos 1994.

1987 - NYI vs Capitals "Epic Easter"; watched whole game - guess who I was cheering for?

... and the last time I bet on sports - 1991 Buffalo Bills 'wide right'

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

My worst day as a fan is either when Veterans Stadium got demolished or when the Eagles lost to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game in 2008. Seems like a weird game to pick for the Eagles but I was just so sure that they would win. I was more pissed off after that cardinals game than when they lost the super bowl to the pats. Im not sure why.

• 1 year later...

NHL: 1993 Campbell Conference Finals game 7. Leafs lose at home to Gretzky's hat trick after his game 6 winner after he slashed Dougie's face sans penalty.

NFL: 2008 Super Bowl. David Tyree escaping everything in the air & ground after Eli escaped 3-4 sacks. 18-1.

MLB: 2015 ALCS game 6: Jays' game tying run on 3rd in the 9th. Zero outs. 99% unacceptable loss.

NBA: 2001 NBA Eastern Conference Semifinals game 7. Vince Carter shoots a losing ball from UNC.

Olympics: 1998 Canada shootout loss, because Ray Bourque had good aim from a standstill... & #99 watching on the bench.

I know I don't have it very bad. I saw the Blue Jays win back to back World Series, Canada win 3 Olympic gold with NHL players, & the Patriots win 4 Super Bowls while playing in 7 of them ('85 before my time).

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Mine is much more recent than most: May 24 of last year, when the NLL's Swarm, with whom I'd had season tickets for eight years, announced they were leaving Minnesota. (They didn't announce Atlanta as their destination until the following week.)

On social media I now refer to them as the Zombie Swarm, in part for the Atlanta/Walking Dead reference, but mainly because seeing them in their virtually unchanged unis and logos (apart from sticking "Georgia" where "Minnesota" used to be) is like seeing old friend who've died, roaming the earth again as zombies.

CCSLC signature.png

As a Lions fan, it`s in my nature to not get any hopes up because 99 out of 100 times, I will be let down. Also, they`ve never advanced far enough in my lifetime to really let me down in one specific game.

As a Tigers fan, the recent World Series losses sucked, but it`s not like it came down to a game 7. They were out of it before it started.

The Habs keep letting me down, but again, they haven`t made it to a cup final and lost since 89 when I was a toddler, so it`s more of just a soft let down.

I`d maybe have to say the Pistons-Spurs 2005 game 7. Even that wasnt that bad, because they`d just won the title the year before.

I`ve got it pretty good I guess.

sig.png

The Music City Miracle killed the Bills for a generation. I don't think it gets much worse than that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

February 1, 2015...Seahawks giving the Evil Empire a unexpected win at the end.

The feeling I had after that game and that play (more specifically, that playcall) was a mixture of disgust, sickening, and downright injustice. Probably the worst I felt during that sports year until the Caps were eliminated.

spacer.png

It's weird, I can only (very) vaguely remember watching Jordan's finals-winner in 1998 (I was barely six years old), but watching highlights of it now absolutely sicken me as if it was always the worst sports day of my life all along. Does that make sense? And for it to be considered one of the greatest shots of all time and on every classic highlight reel never helps. Gee, sorry your favorite team in all of sports lost in such heartbreaking fashion back then and haven't been the same ever since, but hey, at least they'll mercilessly show up on commercials and flashbacks and trivia cards for the next 200 years!

As far as moments I do remember clearly, Super Bowl XL was a horrible day (my stepdad lived in Seattle for a while and is a massive Seahawks fan, so we all pulled for them that day). I've never seen a worse officiated game in any sport in all my life, and for Seattle to be on the losing end of it left a horrible taste in my mouth. I remember being upset about it for a week, and of course my stepdad was furious. You so much as mention the Steelers even now and he gets red faced.

It's not crazy, it's just sports. :P

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Grrr!!

They had the damn thing in the bag! I was at game 5 in Calgary (they broadcasted the game from Tampa in the Saddledome via big screen) and the result was pure euphoria. I still can't believe they lost and will probably never get over it...

sMR3P4Y.jpg

W6tXDz6.jpg

Archived