Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any time the Rays got no hit, or in 2009 the Rays were 20 games behind New York, and I got free tickets to see the season finale at the Trop. The Yankees scored 10 runs in one inning and A-Rod hit a grand slam a section over from me.

I'm sure there's more.

Ah yeah, It sucked when Edwin Jackson, Dallas Braden, and Mark Buehrle threw no-hitters against the Rays.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Giants-10/26/2002 The World Series was essentially won at that point. It's games like that where you wonder if they will ever win it all.

49ers-2/3/2013 First ever loss in the Super Bowl. Thought the Niners were a MUCH better team then the Ravens. I could handle watching

the Seahawks win because they were an elite team, but the Ravens were a team that got hot at the right moment. They lost to Charlie Batch

and a hobbled RG3/backup Kurt Cousins, and got frickin lucky against the Chiefs and Chargers during the year.

Kings 5/31/2002 Worst officating job ever, and that says something about the NBA. The team slowly declined after that, and obviously the

Maloofs(and Geoff Petrie) did a wretched job that kept them at the bottom.

Sharks-Uh, 07-09 were bad, especially failing to score in those series(all sub 2 GPG). Choking against the Kings was bad, obviously. It just depresses me that for a team whose offense is supposed to be one of the best, they fail when it matters the most. It's not like they're some trap team like Phoenix and Nashville who rely on their defense/goaltending.

Arizona basketball 3/26/2005 The Illinois collapse. Last chance for the Final 4 for Lute. Sent the team into bubble purgatory for some time. Honorable mention goes to whenever they lose to ASU in basketball. Depresses the living crap out of me.

Also Super Bowl 43 was depressing. I really wanted Arizona to beat Pittsburgh.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

February 1st, 2004. I'll be the first to admit, I was a bit to young to fully comprehend what was going on, but I knew the Panthers were my team, and they were in the Super Bowl. That was the first time and only time I've sat through 8 or so hours of pregame hype, and I was as into it as a kindergartener can. I was nervous the whole game, and when the Vinateri kick went through, I broke down in tears. And those years lasted for the night. Of course, I wouldn't cry over a game now, but the memory of that night is still seared in my mind.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Some more:

• Louisville vs Morehead State 2010 NCAA Round of 64: The biggest choke job in school history. Seeing Kenneth Faried dominating the Cardinal D was just embarrassing. Ugh, this is making my head hurt.
  • Louisville vs Kentucky 2014 NCAA Sweet 16: Lets see: Horrible officiating (Kentucky getting every call), choking a big 1st half lead, and all those missed free throws.
  • Michigan vs Kentucky 2014 NCAA Elite 8: I just :censored: hate that Kentucky team being so darn lucky and :censored: Andrew Harrison.
  • Louisville vs Rutgers 2006: One FG to end Louisville's only chance for a BCS National Championship. It has still scarred me to this day.
  • Louisville vs UCF 2013: A total choke job with a 28-7 lead and cost Louisville a BCS berth and AAC Championship.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Losing the 2000 World Series and Super Bowl XXXVIII were both massive downers, not just because of the way they happened but having to deal with all the generic Yankee/Patriot bandwagoners at school the day after.

The one that really stands out however is October 19th 2006, game 7 of the NLCS. No offence to the Detroit Tigers of that year, but whoever won that series was going to subsequently win the World Series. It was so tight all the way through and when Endy Chavez made that amazing over the wall grab there was just this sense that it was then going to be the Mets night, but it just never came. Fast forward to the ninth inning and Yadier Molina of all people hit that home run and just sucked all the air out of the stadium; even then they came back and loaded the bases only to see Beltran, someone who is now established as an all time great play off hitter, strike out looking. That night was heartbreaking, especially considering what being a Mets fan has been like for the 8 years since.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I've mostly had a blessed sports fandom existence, but this one will hurt forever.

December 1, 2012. SEC Championship Game.

Georgia blocks a punt and returns it for a TD. 11 point lead in the 3Q, and Alabama has only managed 10 points in the entire game. I'm running around hugging everyone in sight. It's actually going to happen. UGA was actually going to beat Bama, and win a national title a month later.

Instead we blow the lead, but drive all the way down the field in the waning moments ... too little too late. 5 yards, :05 away from winning.

PJU85JF.png

Not so much my worst days, but my worst year was 2008. Auburn went 3-8, "fired" Tommy Tuberville, and went with an unproven coach. Alongside that, my Jacksonville Jaguars were beginning their joke of the NFL time period. Marshall Thundering Herd had somewhere between 2 and 4 wins as well, I can't remember. And, being a NASCAR fan, my driver Jeff Gordon began his career long win-less streak. So yea, that was fun.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

12/28/08; Dallas getting utterly destroyed 44-6 to Philadelphia. My blood boils ANYTIME Dallas loses to those good-for-nothing Eagles, but this game made me sick to my stomach.

Seeing Dallas play football like a headless chicken was disgusting. Sure, the other win-and-in games that they lost stung too, but this one hurts because of everything that happened that day previously (Chicago and Tampa Bay losing) allowed Philly to punch Dallas in the mouth and KO them and win a one-sided battle.

I caught so much flak for this at school because pretty much every person antagonistic to me HAD to be an Eagles fan. :angered:

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Giants-10/26/2002 The World Series was essentially won at that point. It's games like that where you wonder if they will ever win it all.

Sharks-Uh, 07-09 were bad, especially failing to score in those series(all sub 2 GPG). Choking against the Kings was bad, obviously. It just depresses me that for a team whose offense is supposed to be one of the best, they fail when it matters the most. It's not like they're some trap team like Phoenix and Nashville who rely on their defense/goaltending.

I never forgave Dusty Baker for his dickery with the bullpen in that game 6. I was only 8 at the time, and it hurt for sometime. You cannot believe how happy I was when the moment finally came in 2010 (throughout that series, I kept hoping the Giants could close it out as quickly as possible, to avoid crap like 2002).

The Sharks, I've learned to live with it. The worst pain from them came in 2011, as they were eliminated by the Canucks (I saw how they nearly blew it against Chicago in Round 1, and I hoped the Sharks would be lively after a reality check against the Red Wings in the previous round). Also, I knew some douchey Canucks fan at my high school, and he was reveling in it. You can't imagine how happy I was seeing the Bruins win and seeing him eat his words.

I'm only 14, so I haven't had the chance for much sports anguish, but the 2006 Cup Finals and Pronger's departure sucked. I was 6, but I understood everything and was just so disappointed by the loss and Pronger basically flipping the bird at the entire city of Edmonton.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

May 13, 2013

620-bruins-leafs-thumb-620xauto-335122.j

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Well Still MIGHTY & wildwing I'll cheer you up by reminding you of probably the best day of your life as a fan.

June 6, 2011

After the Sens blew a golden opportunity to tie the series at 2 with a game at home against a Pronger-less Ducks team I began preparing myself mentally for the possibility that they weren't going to win it all. Still, there was no way for me to fully prepare for that game. Even as it got near the end of the 3rd and it was clear that the Cup was going to stay in California I forced myself to watch the whole game, along with the presentation after. Watching Scott Niedermayer lift the Stanley Cup over his head is the most crushing memory of my fandom, although I'm proud of myself for sticking it out and not being a sore loser. Of course, it really didn't help that this was the Stanley Cup winning goal:

Runner up goes to January 5, 2011. Team Canada has a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period of the World Juniors. All of my friends are talking about how it's in the bag, and Russia scores 5 unanswered to win the gold. I just sat in silence for a while trying to comprehend what I had just seen.

Runner up goes to January 5, 2011. Team Canada has a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd period of the World Juniors. All of my friends are talking about how it's in the bag, and Russia scores 5 unanswered to win the gold. I just sat in silence for a while trying to comprehend what I had just seen.

Thanks for reminding me. That moment totally sucked.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I don't remember the exact date last year, but it was one of the worst days in my life nonetheless. My favorite player, Jhonny Peralta, on my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers, had betrayed me. Before you start laughing at my choice of favorite player, allow me to explain my story…

On July 13, 2012 (I remember that date because I still have my ticket stub from the game) I went and saw the Tigers take on the Orioles in Baltimore at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. In the game, Peralta had hit a two run homer. Afterwards, my uncle (who's gone to quite a few Orioles games since he lives in nearby West Virginia) took his wife and kid, my parents, my brother, and I to the exit from the stadium from which the players come out, in the hopes that we could get some autographs from the players. Alas, the players we saw blew us off and didn't sign anything for anyone else in the crowd of people also waiting by us. So we walked back to where our cars were parked, I was really bummed by not getting anything signed, when I spotted a familiar face nearby where we were heading. It was none other than Mr. Peralta himself! As I spotted him, I alerted the others and we sprinted down to catch him. Luckily, we were able to, and he even signed my Tigers hat. Wow, my first ever autograph! “He'll be my favorite Tigers player forever!”, I thought. Let's flash-forward a year now…

I was just chillin' on my couch, watching MLB Network (as usual), when something caught my eye. Jhonny Peralta, my favorite Tiger, had been busted along with a group of other players for PED use. Steroids!?!? The use of steroids is at the top of list for baseball sins, and I was outraged. “Maybe it was a false positive test?,” I asked myself. Alas, as the evidence was uncovered, that was not the case. I have since remedied my sorrow by getting my 2012 Topps Miguel Cabrera card signed by the man himself as a reward for donating to charities sponsored by the Detroit Tigers, but that doesn't completely make up for how betrayed I felt by my “hero”. I cannot be completely enraged by the day Peralta tested positive, for that taught me a verry valuable lesson: Don't put 100% trust and faith in your heros, because chances are that you're putting trust and faith into lies. That day made me feel worse than when the Tigers were swept in the 2012 World Series.

Sorry for the long post. :P

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

January 5, 2004: Canada losing the gold medal game at the World Juniors to the US. My dad let me stay home from school that day to watch the game and I was so excited to watch Canada win. I distinctly remember Fleury letting an easy goal at the end (big surprise there) to lose the game for the Canadians. And If I remember correctly, it was Patrick O'Sullivan of my hometown Mississauga Ice Dogs who scored the goal.

February 3, 2008: The Pats losing the Super Bowl. I thought we had the game all wrapped up towards the end and I was pretty excited. But then, Plaxico Burress scored the game-winning touchdown with 30 seconds left and absolutely crushed me.

January 5, 2011: As spartacat stated above, Canada's gold medal collapse. Just extremely frustrating for me as a Canadian.

September 28, 2011: The completion Red Sox collapse. Between us blowing the lead via a ground-rule double followed by a walk-off single and the Rays coming back from a 7-0 deficit, I couldn't believe that this was actually going on. I was in a state of absolute shock. Even to this day I still can't fathom how it happened, and I don't know if I ever will be able to.

February 5, 2012: Super Bowl loss to the Giants 2.0. I was hoping for revenge from 4 years earlier, but instead we got a repeat. And then there was the failed Hail Mary pass at the end.

June 24, 2013: The Bruins blowing the lead in game 6 of the finals in 17 seconds. I guess it was karma for what we did to the Leafs, but it still pissed me off nonetheless.

12/28/08; Dallas getting utterly destroyed 44-6 to Philadelphia. My blood boils ANYTIME Dallas loses to those good-for-nothing Eagles, but this game made me sick to my stomach.

Meanwhile in Philly, that's one of our BEST memories in Eagles history... ^_^

The Philadelphia list is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

10/7/2011 - The best team in Phillies franchise history loses NLDS game 5 at home 1-0, ended by Ryan Howard blowing out his Achilles (

)

10/23/2010 - Phillies lose game 6 of the NLCS at home to the Giants, ended by Howard watching strike 3 down the middle as the winning run (

)

6/9/2010 - Flyers lose game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals at home to Chicago, with the clincher being scored by Patrick Kane, who should've been the Flyers' #1 overall pick in 2007 (

)

5/22/2004 - Flyers lose game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals at Tampa Bay (while I'm at a wedding and couldn't watch any of it)

1/19/2003 - Eagles lose the NFC Championship at home to the Buccaneers in the final game at the Vet

5/26/2000 - Flyers blow a 3-1 lead in the Eastern Conference finals and lose game 7 after Lindros gets knocked out by Scott Stevens (

) and Patrik Elias scores with 2:32 left in the game (
)

6/11/1995 - Claude @(&*(@*#(*@# Lemieux (

)

10/23/1993 - Joe @*#(*(@#(_* Carter (

)

9/1/1991 - Randall Cunningham blows out his knee in the first half of the season opener, and the best defense in Eagles history (and one of the best in NFL history) never saw the playoffs

5/29/1989 - Mike Schmidt retires

10/7/1977 - Phillies are up 5-3 at home and are an out away from taking a 2-1 lead in the NLCS...(

)....drag bunt single, RBI double to LF (on a trapped ball by Luzinski, who was ALWAYS substituted for defense but not this day) and Mota gets to 3rd on an error, infield RBI single (Lopes was out!), pickoff thrown away, RBI single up the middle....Phils lose 6-5 and lose game 4 to miss the World Series again

...and that's barely scratching the surface

The Colts losing to the Steelers in the 2005-2006 Playoffs.

It has all of the ingredients for a truly depressing sports day. That was the Colts' year. They started 13-0, they stomped the (Manning-kryptonite) Patriots in New England during the regular season, the Broncos had already knocked the Pats out of the playoffs.

It had false hope:

Nick Harper--possibly the fastest guy on the team--picks up a Bettis fumble with a minute left only to be be tripped up by Ben Roethlisberger. Manning got the team into field goal range, only for Mike Vanderjagt, who at the time had the best field goal percentage in NFL history, missed wide right. Way, way, wide right.

I still can't believe that this happened.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

I'm going to bust out the wayback machine for these...

-May 7th, 1994: Denver beats Seattle in OT and becomes the first 8 seed to beat a 1 seed in the NBA Playoffs. Tears literally came out of my eyes when I read the paper that day.

-October 2001: The Mariners, who won 116 games to set the AL record for wins in a season, gets blitzed by the godforsaken Evil Empire. To this day, I contend that MLB had something to do with the Yankees being in the World Series since it was after 9/11 and MLB wanted the Yankees in the World Series so they could basically shove the whole story about New York rebuliding after the attacks down America's collective throats. Hell, had the Diamondbacks lost Game 7, I think the entire freaking nation would of been sick to their collective stomachs with the ass kissing NYC would of gotten had the Yankees won.

-Super Bowl XL: Bringing that debacle up will get you the virtual equivilent of me giving you a curb stomp. Yes, the Seahawks have finally won, but it was such a disaster from kickoff that the less I hear about XL, the better.

Archived