Your worst days of your life as a sports fan

johnnysama

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order:

1. North Stars make official that they'll be moving to Dallas.
  2. Kirby Puckett retires
  3. Vikings lose 2009 NFC Title Game
  4. Vikings lose 1998 NFC Title Game
  5. Wisconsin loses 2014 NCAA semifinal on that Harrison shot (may be above the Vikings losses if not for the fun of getting to the Final Four)
  6. Wisconsin, #1 in the country, loses in round one of 2000 NCAA hockey tournament

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here's one of the greatest for Philly and worst for Toronto.....what I think is one of the best OT sequences I have ever seen in the NHL in my lifetime. Game 6 of the 2004 Eastern semifinals

There have been a few Saints related ones, but most of those are tempered with time and the eventual Super Bowl championship.

My absolute worst was this -- 2011 season BCS championship (game held in January 2012). LSU undefeated, has to replay Alabama, who they already defeated, but had to go to overtime to beat. I still say that Alabama had no right to be in that game -- they didn't win their conference, much less their division; they already lost to LSU; let another 1-loss team from another conference (Oklahoma State) have a shot-- but the powers that be put them at No. 2. I had a bad feeling before the game; not only was it hard to win a rematch in a bowl game (much less a nat'l championship bowl game) but I could see as the season wore on, LSU's games got closer and closer. They had been dominant early, but by season's end they were like Barry Pepper as that sniper at the end of "Saving Private Ryan"-- losing it, starting to miss. They came out and LSU's offense just laid an egg. Couldn't do ANYTHING. Couldn't get a first down. Couldn't get past the 50 yard line. The defense held as long as they could, but you could see they eventually wore down. I might have been able to take a thrilling game, maybe even an overtime loss, but that debacle was murder to watch. I wound up just leaving the watch party I was at and driving around aimlessly that night, my only solace that I didn't have to experience it in person.

It is what it is.

Yesterday sure wasn't! LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok on to topic, here are some: Yankees blow the series to the Red Sox in 2004, heartbreaking loss in 2001, Jets losing to Pitt such as in 2004 cause of poor kicking, Jets being 1 game from the Super Bowl but losing in 2009 and 2010, Rangers losing game 6 to the Devils in 2012, Man City winning the premiership in 2012 stand out to me.

1985 AFC Championship Game

1988 NLCS Game 4Mike Scocia home run of Doc Gooden

1988 NLCS Game 7

1992 AFC Championship Game

1994 AFC Divisional Playoffs Chargers Beat Dolphins

1999 NLCS Game 6 Walk off Walk

2001 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7

2007 Wake me up when September Ends Mets collapse I am still scarred

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Whatever the date of the Celtics losing game 7 to the Lakers in 2010. Not only because of what was at stake (2 titles in 3 years would've made us an iconic team in NBA history), but because the way we lost nearly drove me insane. Our shot selection was terrible in the second half, and we couldn't do anything on the boards all night. You knew that the Lakers were going to make a run at some point, and then they made it. It was like watching a slasher movie death where the victim walks right into the killer's trap.

Part of the blame goes to Ainge for not addressing our rebounding at the trading deadline, because it was bad all year. Instead he makes that pointless Nate Robinson trade. Regardless, I'd rather have lost by 50 and been out of it by the mid-2nd quarter than deal with literally giving the game away when we had every opportunity to win it.

All Cubs, of course:

2003 NLCS Game 6 (Watching in a bar. Went to games 1, 2* and 5. Had a Phillies fan in my ear saying "the Cubs are going to the World Series" for a couple innings before the 8-spot. Then he ducked out of there. I was still numb for Game 7. And at work.)

1984 NLCS Game 5 (Remember, only 5-game series back then. Biggest sports disappointment of my youth. Still naive as a Cubs fan, though.)

2007 NLDS Game 3 (In attendance. There were old season ticket holders openly weeping near me. So at least I haven't reached that low of a point yet.)

2008 NLDS Game 1 (In attendance. The quiet after the fifth inning grand slam... Cubs fans should never be considered "great" after that day. They gave up right there. In the middle of Game 1.)

So my disappointments were for different reasons, even though they were all related to the Cubs being eliminated.

(*Might be the high point of my Cubs fandom. Certainly the most fun and celebratory. If not 2003 NLCS Game 2, then it was 1984 NLCS Game 1 13-0 win with a Sutcliffe homer, which I did not attend.)

1. Bartman game

2. Game after the Bartman game

3. White Sox winning the World Series

Anything else I got over at a proper pace. Those stung for a while.

Cubs fans should never be considered "great" after that day. They gave up right there. In the middle of Game 1.

Wrigley was dead from the first pitch that night. Pushing back the start time in Chicago to accommodate the Dodgers' television audience was the first harbinger of dread. Everything felt off. It was a strange time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

November 7, 1995 was the worst day of my life in terms of sports. On that day, Art Modell announced that he was moving the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. When I first heard this news, my heart felt like it was ripped into a million pieces and it forever changed my philosophy on having one favorite team in the NFL. The most positive thing about this event was that the following year I started watching the NHL and the Colorado Avalanche and the Pittsburgh Penguins and have been a fan of both teams ever since. As far as having a favorite team in the NFL today, I mainly root for the New England Patriots because of Bill Belichick as he was the last coach of the Browns. I tried to watch the new Browns in 1999, but they were not the same team to me and I have never loved them like I did before 1995. I would say that these days I am more of a NFL fan and not solely dedicated to one team.

The last game a Cleveland Municipal Stadium vs the Steelers:

If I had to pick the 2nd worst day of my life in sports, I would have to go with the Kentucky loss to Duke in 1992 as that was by far the worst day ever being a Kentucky fan, but I am glad the Wildcats were apart of this game as most (analysts) declare it as the greatest NCAA basketball game ever.

spacer.png

My first thought was April 4, 2005. The Fighting Illini basketball team played its worst game of the season and lost in the national championship game. One of the greatest teams ever, without a title, plus the knowledge that we weren't going to be back in that spot next year. However, earlier that day, I had driven up to Chicago to catch the White Sox on opening day. As crushing at the NC game was, I felt optimistic that something good was happening on the south side, so it wasn't the worst day ever. And of course, that year would end with my best sports day, October 26.

My worst has to be January 23, 2011 - the Bears losing to the Packers in the NFC championship. Not only losing, but doing so at home, to a team they would have kept out of the playoffs in week 17 had Lovie not let Mike Martz throw out the gameplan and go "Full Martz" because "the game didn't mean anything." It was so much worse because the Packers are such a hated rival, and because my douchey in-laws are all Packers fans. And if it's not bad enough hearing trash talk from football fans, it's 100x worse hearing it from a sister-in-law and mother-in-law who don't actually watch the games and still thought Favre was on the team. I wanted to live in a cave for a good month after that game.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

October something 1999: Reds come out of nowhere to win 96 games and lose the one game playoff to Mets. Most wins in the wildcard era to miss the playoffs.

January something 2006: Carson Palmer gets his knee shredded on the first play of the first playoff game for the Bengals in fifteen years. The worst team in the NFL goes on to win the super bowl. I learned a lesson that day and the weeks after watching the wrong team win it all: life's not fair and the bad guys win most of the time.

October something 2012: Reds blow three straight home games and lose to San Francisco in the NLDS. Giants end up winning world series.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The other worst day of my sports life came in 2011. elite eight game- Arizona vs Uconn. Just the way the arizona lost the game was unbearable. if any of you guys remember that game it went right down to the last shots and Arizona missed two wide open three's to win in the last 10 seconds. I didn't talk for probably 1 hour after th game. This year's elite eight loss to wisonsin was also very hard to handle especially cause it was so similar to that 2011 game.

a2BRS8U.png

2007 NFC Divisional Playoffs; Dallas was 13-3 and should've cakewalked Eli Manning and the Giants and faced Brett Farve in Irving (in which Farve was winless in his professional career in Texas Stadium).

Instead Dallas chokes away a victory, Patrick Crayton dropped a SURE pass and Romo threw into triple coverage (just like his favorite player Brett Favre would) and seeing Eli get lucky 2 more times (Brett Favre and David Tyree) and win the Super Bowl, against New England was sickening and my seething hatred of Eli Manning was born (and he's still my most hated player in the NFL today).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

As a NASCAR fan, the only time I questioned the sport was back in September after the whole cheating scandal with Michael Waltrip Racing. I liked Bowyer and Vickers at the time, but was absolutely sick to my stomach after the whole situation that Saturday night in Richmond. As a fan of both drivers, I felt betrayed.

My other moment was when the Pats lost their second-straight SB to the Giants

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Tonight can be pretty bad, depending on the game's outcome.

Last night's loss is gonna be on that list now.

I cannot believe how bad Montreal looked last night...I kept thinking I was watching a minor league team play. But tonight, the Kings are going to close out the series and go on to win the Stanley Cup.

spacer.png

1. March 16, 2006; 1st round of NCAA Tournament, Greensboro, NC. (15) Winthrop vs. (2) Tennessee.

Even worse because he traveled.

2. Super Bowl XLVII. I thought the Niners had it.

3. 2013 NFC Championship Game. I thought the Niners had it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived