Vinyl Record

DaRadniz29

So I saw this on deviant art: Vinyl Record Icons and started searching the web for tutorials, and found a couple, but neither explained very well what to do. So I decided to create my own. It's taken about a week and a half, maybe two to get it to where I felt like I can share.

As for the process - I started writing down the steps I used, but ended up changing things and getting fairly detailed. However the basics of this are pretty simple: Create a circle, new layer fill with noise, radial blur, adjust noise layer's mode, reduce opacity. The following get a little more in-depth, with adding lighting, shadow, outline, center label, etc.

Maybe once I clean up my original file, I'll create a psd and release it, and if I can remember all the steps I might be able to add a tutorial.

Anyway, enough delay. Here is the finished result:

1st: (500x500px) With paper-style label, and text.

2nd: (1200x1200px) Original File Size. Paper-style label with border, but no text.

C&C appreciated, but not sure how much more I'll mess with these.

VW314dQ.pnggvMXXoJ.jpg

This is pretty slick. I used a vinyl 45 in one of my CLH teams, the Nashville 45s. My record looks pretty good even next to yours which is awesome. For mine I created a background circle with a linear gradient across it. Black to very dark grey and back to black again. I turned it a bit too give it that vinyl shine. The next step was creating probably close to 75 other circles transparent with super thin strokes. Then shrinking each one down the slightest bit to give the appearance of the grooves. After everything was centered properly I cut the hole in the middle and made my 45 label. Pretty cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty slick. I used a vinyl 45 in one of my CLH teams, the Nashville 45s. My record looks pretty good even next to yours which is awesome. For mine I created a background circle with a linear gradient across it. Black to very dark grey and back to black again. I turned it a bit too give it that vinyl shine. The next step was creating probably close to 75 other circles transparent with super thin strokes. Then shrinking each one down the slightest bit to give the appearance of the grooves. After everything was centered properly I cut the hole in the middle and made my 45 label. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks.

The hardest part for me was lighting. Trying to get right amount of lighting so the proper effect would show on the vinyl was a bit tricky. It took about `0 practice files to get it right. Even trickier than the lighting was getting the label to look like a paper label. It still doesn't look great to me, but for now I'm okay with it. Once I get the hang of it, they should not be to hard to make. I was contemplating doing a cassette tape next, but we'll see.

I might try and do a record player to go with it, but I talk myself out of things because of the perspective angles and such. I know some geometry and maybe more than I realize.

Also if you have the 45s logo you used and don't mind sharing - I'm always interesting in seeing the designs of others (yeah, I know that was a captain obvious statement, haha). Plus I just saw this a while back and wow, I got the psd file and still am trying to figure out how they got the label to look pretty realistic.

Archived