ESPN writer suggests Clippers change name

B-Rich

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From yesterday, surprised no one else on the board picked this up:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11006068/los-angeles-clippers-name-exit-donald-sterling

Your thoughts? I think he makes some good points, and generally agree with him.

Bring on the ideas-- names, color schemes, etc. :)

I appreciated this "Coming to America" reference:

'It's the sports version of opening up McDowell's across the street from McDonald's."

I agree they need a new logo. Not sure about name, colors, etc.

For all the talk about changing the name, I have yet to see a suggestion that is an upgrade from the Clippers. People tend to either suggest generic names like Knights or Bears, or really tacky ones like the Ballers or the Hollywood Stars.

The logic that changing the name erases any vestiges of Sterling is poor. The Clippers name existed before Sterling bought the team. If Ballmer really wants to erase him from the team's visual identity, he should do so by changing the colors instead, because the boring and generic red/white/blue color scheme was chosen by Sterling.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Seattle Sonics, green and gold

Ha! NO.

Anyway, now would be a good time to emphasize the nautical imagery, like the nautical flags:

LA+Clippers+New+Shorts+Compare+San+Diego

Also, maybe use a ship-like logo with the burnt orange/powder blue color scheme (like this one done by MBannon92):

Logo2-01.png

Pretty much this. No need to change the name when you have a unique, name-appropriate identity right from the team's history.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

From yesterday, surprised no one else on the board picked this up:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11006068/los-angeles-clippers-name-exit-donald-sterling

Your thoughts? I think he makes some good points, and generally agree with him.

Bring on the ideas-- names, color schemes, etc. :)

So, let me get this stright They want the Clippers to desert one of the better looks and identities in the NBA, just because of one individual's off court actions? Blowing things way the heck out of proportion is a classic ESPN characterstic. ESPN: the Fox News of the sports world.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Well, to the casual NBA fan and someone who doesn't care about the NBA at all (like me), the only thing the Clippers are known for is Donald Sterling's racist comments. It doesn't even matter that the whole team (and the whole world) turned against this guy; the first thing anyone will think of when they hear about the Clippers is Sterling. I imagine a rebrand would take away any association between the franchise and Sterling, but honestly, does it matter? Think of it this way:

Clippers change name:

Die-hard fans continue to watch franchise as they always have

Casual fans continue to not watch franchise until they come closer to challenging for NBA title

People who don't care continue to not watch National Boring Association

Clippers stay Clippers:

Casual fans continue to not watch franchise until they come closer to challenging for NBA title

People who don't care continue to not watch National Boring Association

It's not like a new name will bring in new fans, and since Sterling is gone, no one will stop being a Clippers fan. Is a rebrand really worth it?

And this seems like an appropriate place to ask it, so what exactly is a "clipper"?

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Clippers change name:

Clippers stay Clippers:

The Clippers don't have die-hard fans.

As for the name change, I think there are some real possibilities to make it "more LA." Given that people seem to have a proclivity for shortening team names such as: Warriors=Dubs, Wizards=Wiz, Clippers=Clips, etc, I say the Clippers should just streamline the process and go with something like the Hollywood OD's or the Santa Monica DUI's.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

Cheap jersey and very nice quality NFL/MLB/NBA Jersey just need $18.99

Order 10 pcs jerseys we provide free shipping.

Share our site you on Facebook can get the 5% discount code!~

We also have the customized jersey service and you can have the jersey stitched on you name and your number!

Enjoy the best online shipping experience

www.efeelsports.ru

Good lord, stop it already!!!
Are you aware how spambots work, kid?

i think if they dont change the name, ATLEAST get rid of the ball and script logo so they can stop looking like an off-brand lakers team, incorporate an actual clipper more into the brand so people would know what the heck it is. i actually wouldnt mind if they changed to the powder blue and orange look

2rzsaw3.jpg

Seattle Sonics, green and gold

Ha! NO.

Anyway, now would be a good time to emphasize the nautical imagery, like the nautical flags:

LA+Clippers+New+Shorts+Compare+San+Diego

Also, maybe use a ship-like logo with the burnt orange/powder blue color scheme (like this one done by MBannon92):

Logo2-01.png

just because this is not generic doesn't mean it's good. that color scheme would be the worst in nba.

spacer.png

Clippers change name:

Clippers stay Clippers:

The Clippers don't have die-hard fans.

Just because a team has a lot of bandwagon fans, doesn't mean they don't have die-hards.

i don't think the clippers need name change unless they move to Seattle. They are staying for the time being sadly, so they should just rebrand to lose the wanna be Lakers the sterling gives them an excuse to do it, i don't see why they don't its more money to them.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

It's kind of similar to the Penn State situation. I feel you just press on with the brand as is. Let it become a symbol of positivity. Time changes things. With that being said, I do like some of the concepts on this board. I especially like the light blue/dark orange colors.

Archived