The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

Pi-Rats Vintage Logo

The Pi-Rats went with a very literal visual for their vintage logo...It's a Pi-Rat...

wl-125.jpg

Like the skull 'n crossbones logo, the 'Pi-Rat' can be used alone or with the word-mark...

wl-126.jpg

...And can be mix'n matched for use on a variety of products...

wl-128.jpg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this project, I really do. BUT the Bears concern me. Lots of people still have issues with the USSR. If you have a logo like the Bears' sickle and stick, lots of grandparents who lived through the Cold War will be wary of these books, they might not want their grandchildren reading a book like that. McCarthy might rise from wherever he is and hunt you down.

I'm not saying it's horrible and needs to be changed, I'm just saying you might want to look into that, to avoid offending people.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

I love that vintage Pirate with the wordmark. Perfect vibe.

Agreed with above, it kinda looks like an action figure to me.

Thanks guys.

Hopefully the Wild League expands in the future! I mean, a big lion for the brits would be killer.

Hi raysox...(Fantastic job on that World Cup contest and your current CONCACAF series BTW).

I'm not sure about expansion, but I definitely have a couple of stories in mind where there are teams from other places.

I love this project, I really do. BUT the Bears concern me. Lots of people still have issues with the USSR. If you have a logo like the Bears' sickle and stick, lots of grandparents who lived through the Cold War will be wary of these books, they might not want their grandchildren reading a book like that. McCarthy might rise from wherever he is and hunt you down.

I'm not saying it's horrible and needs to be changed, I'm just saying you might want to look into that, to avoid offending people.

Thanks oakland.

Not being from that era, (and not being American), I didn't even consider the possibility of someone having issues with the Bears' "sickle 'n stick" logo.

I'm glad that you brought it up.

The thing is...I don't even need to use the "sickle 'n stick" logo, so I won't.

I will however, use the "Bears" wordmark on the red unis, as that design was a reference to a historical Soviet team, rather than a reference to the old Soviet regime in general.

The Wolves Alternate Logos

The "Nordic Paw' logo used on the alt unis got some love, so the Wolves alt logos will feature the nordic styling.

The full Wolves crest/logo pretty much contains all of the elements of the alternative logos...

wl-133.jpg

The crest can be separated into components for different looks and applications...

wl-134.jpg

wl-135.jpg

wl-136.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, these Wolves accessories are really awesome! I love the alt longboat logo because it kinda resembles a soccer badge.

Thanks m.a....There's a couple of more soccer-type crests comin' up...

Well, after a too-busy summer...back at 'er.

Being that this is a thread about kids' books, I coulda/shoulda organized the various stages of this project into "chapters".

It's not too late however, so here goes...

Chapter One

...was the introduction and development of the Wild League concept and look.

I developed a W.L. logo, wordmark, "monogram", mascot, and a couple of country-specific logos...

wl-191.jpg

Chapter Two

...was the introduction of the Wild League teams.

We looked at the history of each franchise and how that history influenced the look and logos of each team.

The unis of all teams were developed along with all of the minimal logos that will appear on these unis...

and the alt and supplemental logos of the secondary Wild League teams were presented...

wl-179.jpg

wl-180.jpg

wl-182.jpg

wl-181.jpg

Moving forward;

Chapter 3 will be the development of the primary teams; the "Eagles" and the "Flying Canooks".

Chapter 4 will be an actual rough version of the book (to accompany this thread) that will be sent around to publishers.

Just wanted to throw in that I love that Howler Bay Soccer Crest thingy, makes me want to add a region named Howler Bay in my fictional country and give then a soccer team haha

Thanks for the feedback guys.

On to the next chapter...

Chapter 3- Eagles and Flying Canooks

We're pretty much done with the Wabbits, Bears, Pi-Rats and Wolves.

These teams are the "Washington Generals" of the Wild League, playing second fiddle to the Canooks and Eagles.

Because of their very strong Canadian and American identities, the Canooks and Eagles are the two franchises that can "identify" with minor hockey in their respective countries.

I'm gonna throw a whole whack of supplemental and alternative, Canook 'n Eagles logos against the wall and see what sticks.

...And, thankfully, both teams have quite a portfolio of logos (that have been developed through the years) to draw from.

The First Logos

Although the Wild League is new to us, it has existed in its parallel universe since 1905...

wl-166.jpg

Expansion has been discussed many, many times over the years, but the 6 teams that form today's W.L., were the Original Six that took to the ice on the new league's opening night.

The American Eagles originally rocked a sky-blue/brown/white colour scheme with a logo that emphasized Eagles' letter "E"...

wl-143.jpg

Like all leagues, the Wild League has experienced a new interest in vintage, throwback and retro logos.

In fact, this trend has inspired an upcoming "Retro Classic" in which the teams will try to re-create a 1905-style game...(should make for an interesting book)

(promotional poster)

wl-167.jpg

Archived