THE worst team ever - as a fan in your lifetime

TrueYankee26

Okay we have the worst days of your life as a sports fan, this time it's for the worst team(s) you've ever cheered for as a sports fan.

*Knicks in the mid and late 2000s, and just this last season.

*The years that Chad Pennington went down and the Jets were horrible, as well as the late Mark Sanchez teams in 2011 and 2012. I did not see the buttfumble moment in 2012 live. I was with family, but when I saw the replay on the TV, I shook my head in disgust.

*David Moyes era in Manchester United. He tried to make us like Everton and succeeded. Also sucks to see rival fans revel in our downfall. :angered:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2009 Rams:

Despair is declaring a game against a 2-14 Lions team your Super Bowl.

Despair is starting a Division II QB because of injuries and "why not"

Despair is scoring 175 points and only having 12 combined TD passes

Despair is taking 9 quarters to score against a divisional foe

Despair is going winless at home

Despair is only year 3 of the 5-year Triumph of Death

EDIT-Despair is also having season tickets to Indiana football that year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2014 Lakers- worst record in LA Lakers history and no Kobe for entertainment value.

2011 Colts- worst the colts had been that i can remember.

2011 Dodgers- The owner who shall not be named.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

2013 Giants: Pitching is dead all year, but offense dies immediately after Pagan gets injured and barely recovers in the last month of the season when Pagan returns.

2012 Red Sox: I'm sure Bobby Valentine was hired to allow the franchise to hit the reset button, but it was not fun watching the team slowly grow nasty and decline into doom (even though the waiver deal saved the team in the long run).

2011-12 Warriors: The growing pains for the franchise's current success were not fun, to say the least. Losing Monta Ellis to trade was pretty damn bad at the time, as well as Curry's chronic ankle problems (which seems to have stopped after that season).

Anaheim Ducks: Only been truly terrible three times

• 1994-95 - Team's second season. Lockout shortened season. 16-27-5, 37 pts in 48 games, 3rd to last in NHL. Last in PP/PK. Shut out a league high 6 times. (Bright spot: Paul Kariya was a finalist for the Calder Trophy)
  • 1997-98 - 26-43-13, 65 points in 82 games, 4th to last in NHL. Shutout a league high 11 times. The first BIG concussion of Paul Kariya's career limits him to only 22 games (in which he scored 31 points). Started the season vs Vancouver in Tokyo.
  • 2000-01 - 25-41-11, 66 points in 82 games, 4th to last in NHL, last in the West. Kariya breaks his foot midseason. Rucchin gets a concussion. And the big ones, Teemu Selanne is traded to San Jose, and Guy Hebert (the very first Mighty Duck), is put on waivers and picked up by the Rangers.. Truly, this season is probably my lowpoint from a memory standpoint. The top line was never intact. Lost childhood heroes in Teemu and Hebert, and gained those sad sacks Steve Shields and Jeff Friesen in return for Teemu. That year sucked.

For the Angels, I really think this image sums it up:

tumblr_m95uioqfnh1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

For the Colts, I've been pretty lucky to have been a fan with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, so the easy choice is the 2011 2-14 season, but of course that comes with the silver lining of Andrew Luck.

For the Lakers, there's two:

• 2004-05 - the cleaning house season after losing to the Pistons. Chris Mihm at center. Chuck Atkins at point. Rudy Tomjanovich behind the bench. Yeah, not fun. (The Smush Parker years immediately after weren't stunning either.)
  • 2013-14 - Worst season in Laker history. After the turmoil of Mike Brown and Dwight Howard and barely eaking into the playoffs the year before, it was hard to think how it could have gotten worse. Well it got much worse. Luckily the best way to turn around in the NBA is to hit rock bottom, so here's to the future.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Last year was pretty painful as a Bucs fan.

I thought the Bucs were extremely unlucky all season. It started in pre-season with the Josh Freeman thing and then a terribly unlucky streak at the beginning of the season with no success in close games. The worst part about the whole year was the complete pessimism. Nobody outside of Bucs fans were rooting for them to succeed and it probably hurt their play to feel this way and to see their record reflect such lack of luck. They were major underachievers last year. I am expecting them to be good this year, but I think they made a mistake in not keeping Freeman around.

Painful is the perfect description. Releasing Freeman stayed with them all year. Mixed with unlucky game results, they dug their own hole.

Cubs: Take your pick, but mine personally was the 02 Cubs. The Cubs had some names in their lineup - Sosa, McGriff, Alou - and a pretty nice pitching staff on paper, but despite all that they muddled and shat their way to a 67-win season. Next year things fell into place and The Thing That Happened happened.

Bears: 2004, no contest. The Bears were a steaming pile of football offal, going 5-11 with 4 different starters over the season including greats you all remember: the legendary Buckeye Craig "I'm Great at Math" Krenzel; Jonathan "I Am Not Good At Football, Terry Shea" Quinn; Chad "Surfing Is Fun/I Am Bad" Hutchinson, and of course the Sex Cannon. They had the 3rd worst offense in team history (which is saying something) and a 61.something team QB average. They were entirely unwatchable and this was aggressively noted in the Thanksgiving game against the Dallas Cowboys which was easily the worst professional football game I've ever sat through from beginning to end.

Blackhawks: The 2011/12 season which isn't saying much. They lost 9 straight games at one point, lost Toews for a huge chunk of the season to a concussion, and generally looked like stinky balls all year. They lost in the first round to Mike Smith and the 'Yotes to put a bow on it all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The 1998-99 Clippers are bar none the worst team I've ever watched.

I would also say the '99-2000 team as just as bad. They seem quit on the season even before it started, and maybe if Chris Ford was my coach, I would have quit too. Maybe the worst Clipper game I ever seen was a home game against the Warriors mid-season, and you had guys like Maurice Taylor (my least-favorite Clipper all-time behind Baron and the Kandi-ass) and Derek Anderson out there going through the motions, and played like they couldn't give two :censored:s about anything. The only bright spot was a rookie Lamar Odom...they brought in Corey Maggette, Keyon Dooling, Darius Miles, and Quentin Richardson the following season to go with Odom, and although the 2000-01 team finished at 31-51, at least they were fun to watch.

Islanders- oof.. get back to me on that one between all the late 90s years and first two years of the 2000s and 2008-09

Jets- The Jets are a weird case, especially in the mid-2000s, where either they were a playoff team who made it to the Divisional Round or flat out sucked. I guess I'd zero in on that 2005 season

Mets- Again, very hard to pinpoint

Syracuse- Can I fit the entire GERG era please?

and if we're gonna count NASCAR drivers, I'd say Harvick's 2002 sophomore slump plus suspension

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Last year was pretty painful as a Bucs fan.

I thought the Bucs were extremely unlucky all season. It started in pre-season with the Josh Freeman thing and then a terribly unlucky streak at the beginning of the season with no success in close games. The worst part about the whole year was the complete pessimism. Nobody outside of Bucs fans were rooting for them to succeed and it probably hurt their play to feel this way and to see their record reflect such lack of luck. They were major underachievers last year. I am expecting them to be good this year, but I think they made a mistake in not keeping Freeman around.

Painful is the perfect description. Releasing Freeman stayed with them all year. Mixed with unlucky game results, they dug their own hole.

Couldn't agree more. I had hopes coming into last year with the team the Bucs had. the 0-4 team we had could've easily been 4-2 if 1 play from all 4 games had gone our way (Levontae David's play against the Jets being one of them.) Watching a team that could've easily been 4-2 drop the QB they had been building up (and had actually not been playing all that bad) and be replaced for some "Vote for Pedro" looking clown was awful. Watching a professional football team being run by a bunch of high school coaches was also difficult.

This coming year, I have hope.

I was such a Bengals homer after they played in the Super Bowl in 1981. Thought I was doing good while supporting them the next ten years. I looked like such a fool in the 90's trying to defend them. Every year was the year they would break out and make some noise in the playoffs. Never happened until I became emotionally disconnected from the team. Things have gotten better lately, but that 90's team in Cincy was the worst of all time. They changed me completely as a Bengals fan.

2001, 2010 Carolina Panthers. If not for the Week 1 victory against the Vikings, the Panthers would've beat the Lions to 0-16 by 7 years. At least with 2010 they landed Cam Newton with one less loss.

2013-14 Utah Jazz. It's very unusual for a historically good team to wallow in a comprehensive rebuilding project, but things are looking up, right?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2014 Lakers- worst record in LA Lakers history and no Kobe for entertainment value.

2011 Colts- worst the colts had been that i can remember.

2011 Dodgers- The owner who shall not be named.

The 2011 Dodgers still salvaged a decent record despite the owner stuff.

I guess my list would be something like this:

Tampa Bay Lightning: ~1998-2001 and again 2007-08/2008-09. These were horribad teams with ownership calamity. That's not good. You want one singular worst team? In those seasons in the late '90s they lost 50+ games in a league with ties. That's hard to do.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2009 by default because they went 3-13. I don't remember any other Bucs team since 2003 doing worse than that.

Florida Gators (football) - 2013; lets never speak of this again.

New York Yankees - 2013 would have to win by default, I guess, but if the worst baseball team I've ever rooted for was an 85-win team, then I've had a pretty damned blessed baseball fan existence and I won't complain at all about it.

spacer.png

2001-2007 Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Take your pick because they're all bad (except for 2004 and that was the only time they escaped last place). For the Colts, it would the 2-14 record in 2011 because they have been winning on a consistent level. For Louisville football, it was the Kragthorpe years from 2007-2009 after Petrino left. The worst for Louisville basketball was 2005-06 (they weren't bad, but Louisville usually appears in the NCAA Tournament consistently) when they went to the NIT.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived