UPDATE – San Diego Padres revamped logo design (new secondary logo)

BaseballJunkie

This is my San Diego Padres logo redesign. I have never really liked their actual design, so here is my try. I hope you like it. Comments are welcome!

– The Swinging Friar now has eyes.

– CAP suggested the straps should have a navy-blue outline which is of course totally true.

– New primary logo (the "Swinging Friar"), no roundel anymore

– Updated "SD" initials logo

– New secondary logo

SanDiegoPadreslogoconceptpresentation_zp

SanDiegoPadresprimarylogo_zps996a76fc.jp

Primary logo

SanDiegoPadressecondarylogo_zpse7391808.

Secondary logo ("Swinging Friar"). A revamped version of the San Diego Padres mascot from 1969.

SanDiegoPadresprimarycaplogo_zps8b7ff18b

Team initials logo (on home and road caps and shoulder patch)

SanDiegoPadrespracticebattingcaplogo_zps

Team initial cap logo (on batting practice caps)

SanDiegoPadreshomeuniformwordmark_zps307

Home uniform wordmark

SanDiegoPadresgrayroaduniformwordmark_zp

Road uniform wordmark

SanDiegoPadresalternatecamouflagecaplogo

Alternate camouflage home cap logo

SanDiegoPadresalternatehomecamouflageuni

Alternate camouflage home uniform wordmark

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your concepts but I think the Padres need to go another color scheme.

No brown and yellow no Navy blue.

I think they should take the Chargers scheme of Powder Blue and Gold.

Do you think you can remake another one with those colors?

Thanks! Will do as soon as possible!

The colors are a little too dull and muted for my tastes, I would prefer brown and yellow. The SD logo is okay, but I've always thought that's an awkward way to connect an S and D. The way the middle line continues all the way across almost makes it read as STD. I'm glad you brought back the friar, but give him some pupils! Plain white eyes will always look demonic, like wonderbread said. Another way you could improve the friar: thicker lines and separated colors. What I mean by separated is, you need to make sure that none of the accent colors are touching each other. Like on his sandals, the brown doesn't need to be touching the gold. You could either make the strap of the sandals blue, or give the brown strap a blue outline. The best example I can find right now to better explain myself is this logo. Notice the yellow and orange are never touching, they are always separated by blue. Hope this helps!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The colors are a little too dull and muted for my tastes, I would prefer brown and yellow. The SD logo is okay, but I've always thought that's an awkward way to connect an S and D. The way the middle line continues all the way across almost makes it read as STD. I'm glad you brought back the friar, but give him some pupils! Plain white eyes will always look demonic, like wonderbread said. Another way you could improve the friar: thicker lines and separated colors. What I mean by separated is, you need to make sure that none of the accent colors are touching each other. Like on his sandals, the brown doesn't need to be touching the gold. You could either make the strap of the sandals blue, or give the brown strap a blue outline. The best example I can find right now to better explain myself is this logo. Notice the yellow and orange are never touching, they are always separated by blue. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice. You're absolutely right about the straps. For some strange reason I totally missed doing that.

Well, the colors...right. I didn't want to change their current color scheme completely, just adding brown. Suggestions are always welcome because I'm really not a big fan of this color scheme as well. Concerning the initials logo, here are my two cents: Since this is a San Diego Padres logo redesign, it should be clear that it doesn't really makes sense to assume the initials might read "STD" because there can't be found a single "T" in the entire team's name. One could definitely read something like that into it, but common sense would eventually avoid this when looking at the team's name. Please don't misunderstand me, i'm not referring to you regarding my remark! That's just what I am thinking when I look at the initials logo in this very case.

Thanks for your advice. You're absolutely right about the straps. For some strange reason I totally missed doing that.

Well, the colors...right. I didn't want to change their current color scheme completely, just adding brown. Suggestions are always welcome because I'm really not a big fan of this color scheme as well. Concerning the initials logo, here are my two cents: Since this is a San Diego Padres logo redesign, it should be clear that it doesn't really makes sense to assume the initials might read "STD" because there can't be found a single "T" in the entire team's name. One could definitely read something like that into it, but common sense would eventually avoid this when looking at the team's name. Please don't misunderstand me, i'm not referring to you regarding my remark! That's just what I am thinking when I look at the initials logo in this very case.

The update is quite a bit better on both the top (head) and bottom (feet).

What if you would lighten up the blue? That should help with the darkness issue. You could go with the powder blue that has been suggested or the sky blue that they used for a while in the 2000s. You could also make up your own blue.

As far as the STD issue, after it was mentioned I saw it immediately and now am having a hard time unseeing it. I understand that you are thinking that it doesn't make sense for people to see STD in the hat, which is absolutely correct; the problem is that it doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not: If it's there, people will see it. Your design and presentation shows you are trying to present this in a professional way (and this is great) so I am thinking about this as if it were a proposal to the team. And if it were, I would have to voice serious concerns about it because you wouldn't want to end up with the "STD hat." It's the kind of small thing that could completely overshadow the rest of the concept.

award%20sig.png

The update is quite a bit better on both the top (head) and bottom (feet).

What if you would lighten up the blue? That should help with the darkness issue. You could go with the powder blue that has been suggested or the sky blue that they used for a while in the 2000s. You could also make up your own blue.

As far as the STD issue, after it was mentioned I saw it immediately and now am having a hard time unseeing it. I understand that you are thinking that it doesn't make sense for people to see STD in the hat, which is absolutely correct; the problem is that it doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not: If it's there, people will see it. Your design and presentation shows you are trying to present this in a professional way (and this is great) so I am thinking about this as if it were a proposal to the team. And if it were, I would have to voice serious concerns about it because you wouldn't want to end up with the "STD hat." It's the kind of small thing that could completely overshadow the rest of the concept.

You've got a point there. I'll rethink the initials thing. Let's see if I can manage to combine the two letters differently in order to avoid the usual way of putting them together. The funny part is: Although we're talking about only two letters here that need to be combined to make them look good eventually, it's yet hard to get a good result and not repeat or recycle old designs – like their current one.

I will also lighten up the navy blue in one my future updates. Let's see how it's gonna look.

SanDiegoPadresprimarylogondashchargersco

My Padres primary logo using the exact color scheme (ColorWerx) of the San Diego Chargers, as @KevinJohnsonThaTruth has requested yesterday. Looks okay to me. However sports teams of one city avoid having one and the same color scheme, except the good old navy-blue, red and white combo of course.

Archived