Hawaii Honu (sea turtles)

graphiccontent

bd4e69ed8f.png

thought id share my pitch for the fantasy league over on icethetics, Hawaii honu (sea turtles). done a bit of tweaking since i posted it on dribble http://drbl.in/ljHW (mostly changes to curves and line weights), pretty happy with how it ended up. the turtles natural texture had a cracked magma feel to me, which i think ties in with the Hawaiian theme. I chose this particular colour scheme to emphasize that and go with something wasn't just your typical blue and green approach. The word mark i decided to keep simple and modern again shying away from the cliche tropical look.

any last suggestions before i turn it in?

I'm also looking for ideas for a secondary logo, so far volcano is at the top of my list but ideas would be great

I really do like it so far. Love the colors and the magma like scales on the turtle, but the bottom feels like its missing something. It feels incomplete without any shadows or details on the bottom of the turtle.

Looking good, but you need something in the back half of the design.

I agree it's a great front but the back doesn't do anything for me. It just sort of hangs there; I also feel like the front half is going down and the back half is going up witch for an animal with a rigid body like a turtle doesn't really happen.

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

Love where this mark is at! I think the custom bold typography works well, and though it's not overtly hawaiian it is reminiscent of the geometric patterns found in hawaiian art and sculpture. I do think the body could use some definition with some lines using either the gray or the orange. Great job!

Yeah, some orange highlights on the stomach would do wonders. Love the type, though.

That's exactly wrong. Orange is his highlight color, thus his light source will make things orange. What he needs is a third color to flesh out details that's missing. Perhaps a teal or a magenta color will suit the low level details.
Wow, I did say orange. Guess I typed it out and never looked back, hehe. My original idea was going to be green, but I'm liking a teal or sky blue more.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I really love this logo, and I'll be honest I don't have a single issue with the underside being completely devoid of detail. In fact it makes perfect sense to me, all the light would be coming from above the turtle so the underside would be in darkness. In saying that though I would like to see the shell highlights continue a little beyond the front flipper. It would help add a little interest beyond that point while still making sense when it comes to natural lighting. They wouldn't have to go all the way to the back, but it would help separate the top part of the shell from the belly, which is a pretty distinct feature on trutles.
9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I think this is frickin' awesome. Excellent logo and colors. I do think the logo would be best served by replacing the silver with a slightly green bright blue. Sort of Twitter blue or so. It would be a really nice trim color and would speak to the Hawaiian coast in concert with the rest of the identity.

I know you're straying away from the tropical theme, but I think if you add a second cut-in on the outsides of the H and U, below the one there now, it will very, very subtly evoke palm trees without sacrificing the clean, bold look you have now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, some orange highlights on the stomach would do wonders. Love the type, though.

That's exactly wrong. Orange is his highlight color, thus his light source will make things orange. What he needs is a third color to flesh out details that's missing. Perhaps a teal or a magenta color will suit the low level details.
Wow, I did say orange. Guess I typed it out and never looked back, hehe. My original idea was going to be green, but I'm liking a teal or sky blue more.

He's already using grey, I think that could work underneath as well if done right

Archived