Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current look is boring. I never liked the brown and gold look as a kid.

Their best bet would be to go with a combination of navy blue with columbia blue and brown as accents. That might be a nice combination of past and present while giving the unis a much needed refresh.

It must be popular to a certain degree, because they make a ton of stuff available for sale every year.

Is it popular enough to be their everyday look, as the Brewers' throwbacks are? As much as I desperately want them to do it, that's less certain. And I don't know if there's any way to tell.

i like the padres current scheme, but i think the unis are poorly executed to reflect the colors that they have. that being said i grew up mostly with the padres having the blue and orange look and i like that more than any ones they had. idk if its me being born in the 90s or whatever and brown and gold is such a unique color scheme, but as an everyday look.....eeeehhh that remains to be seen

2rzsaw3.jpg

I think it's pretty polarizing. For everyone (like me) who says "the current look is boring/non-distinctive and the Padres have a chance to be 'the brown team'" there is someone who says "brown? Yuck." Therefore my gut (i.e., I don't have a bit of data) says that the proportion of "pro-brown" people may be the same as the number of "pro-ball-in-glove" folks, the opposition is stronger with the Padres because there are many people who don't like Brown.

Ultimately I don't see the Padres going to Brown though because while I, a fan of a different team, want to see it, there are probably enough fans of the Padres (or any team) who don't want "their" team to stand out with "that ugly color."

I happen to think that the current Padres look helps to secure them as one of the lowest-profile franchises in MLB and that brown would change that some. I also love Brown (particularly with orange) and wish more teams would wear it. Even blue and orange would help, though the Astros and Mets make that a lesser option, IMHO.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Having followed the Padres uniform situation for years, and the club's response to it, I'd say it's a case of a vocal minority being hardcore fans of the brown color scheme.

As someone pointed out in the MLB thread, the Brewers aren't in any rush to switch to some iteration of the ball-in-glove because the current stuff sells well, and they can double-dip by selling retro items alongside it. I would bet it's similar with the Padres. They probably push enough of the brown and the navy/orange items to go along with whataver current look they have (which probably sells OK because they keep changing it, encouraging people to buy new stuff).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

No it most likely isn't.

I hate to break it to you guys put a majority of a internet message board's opinion =/= popular opinion.

We are people who pay much more attention to detail than the common fans do, our opinion is the minority, just learn to accept it.

I think that a lot of the "bring back the brown" (And yes, I am one of those people) comes with "their current look is boring."

I think the Padres can easily have a nice, attractive look with navy blue. They did throughout the 90s, and even their early 00's look with the khaki colors worked well. But as they got rid of the khaki, and then introduced these current unis, it looks so bland. Especially with the double piping, it almost looks too busy sometimes (Anyone else notice that?)

The brown comes because a lot of people can't find an even better alternative than that. Columbia blue & navy? Well, the Rays do it, and so do the Chargers. Do they really want to copy their football team? Navy & orange? Orange is regaining a lot of popularity in sports, but if done wrong if might look too much like the SF Giants. Stick with navy? "It's boring!" Go to red? "Why red!? I miss my blue Padres!" Brown is the best option they have if they want to stick out.

Is it the best option? Well, if done well it might be. Although if done well navy might be the best option too. They just need a more creative and attractive look.

Can't begin to speak for Padres fans, but the mostly brown and yellow uniform set has history behind it, and the 1984 team will always have the distinction of being the first San Diego pennant-winning club. Of course, that uniform had a touch of orange in the color scheme, so if the Padres were to make a change, that's the direction I think they should go. For me, that would return San Diego to more of a unique identity, which is important. While the second NL Champion team in the 90s were blue and orange, I thought that was a step backwards.

Having followed the Padres uniform situation for years, and the club's response to it, I'd say it's a case of a vocal minority being hardcore fans of the brown color scheme.

As someone pointed out in the MLB thread, the Brewers aren't in any rush to switch to some iteration of the ball-in-glove because the current stuff sells well, and they can double-dip by selling retro items alongside it. I would bet it's similar with the Padres. They probably push enough of the brown and the navy/orange items to go along with whataver current look they have (which probably sells OK because they keep changing it, encouraging people to buy new stuff).

You're pretty spot on. There's a segment of mlb fans (primarily gen X and millenials) who have a real nostalgia for the 80's and retro looks which explains the resurgence of that style of merchandise...this segment also likely buys a disproportionate amount of merchandise as older fans tend to not be into buying the most trendy hats and younger fans (kids) don't have the $ to spend $40 for a retro hat and $250 + for a retro jersey...lastly younger kids gravitate to the horrid black and camo alts as opposed to the retro looks.

For those reasons above the Padres are pretty much screwed in developing a unique identity as they're always going to disappoint a chunk of their fan base.

They need to do the cookies and cream colors. Maybe even orange as an accent like the Browns. As long as brown and yellow is gone for good

IMO:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1989.jpg

Bring these back with a few tweaks. It is the best look fior the team, and is unique in baseball.

too much like the old Giants

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

IMO:

Bring these back with a few tweaks. It is the best look fior the team, and is unique in baseball.

See that looks too much like the Giants. Not to mention the only other team in pro sports to where brown also wears brown and orange. An updated version of their original 1969 set would be perfect.

They need to do the cookies and cream colors. Maybe even orange as an accent like the Browns. As long as brown and yellow is gone for good

IMO:

too much like the old Giants

It was very confusing as a child as those uniforms (SD/SF) were almost indistinguishable from each other on a fuzzy 19" color tv.

I don't doubt that the apparent popularity of the brown and gold is probably mostly an illusion. If you think about it, the average person in the street has pretty crappy taste, so it would actually be surprising to me to find out more people preferred the brown. Unless your sole concern is selling product to as many people as possible, I actually don't think these decision should be made based on popularity... to quote Hilton Kramer, "the world is full of bad art, and people love it." You only need to look at the current nauseating state of college football to see where you end up by democratizing aesthetics.

My reason for wanting to see the brown and gold return come down to three points...

1. Navy is ridiculously overused in the current MLB.

2. The Padres use of navy is IMO especially dull.

3. This uniform...

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1969.jpg

...is one of the ten best in the history of major league baseball (IMO of course).

Archived