Switching Allegiances?

DaRadniz29

Okay, so this may not be a big deal for some, but after viewing the 2nd Favorite team thread and got to thinking about switching teams - for whatever reason.

I'm contemplating making the Royals my favorite MLB team. This hasn't been a overnight decision or anything - detail on that later.

What's your take on fans switching allegiances? (i.e. Good, bad, unacceptable, depends on reason, etc.)

For my take, etc. read the following:

I grew up going to A's games. My favorite player was Mark McGwire. When the A's traded Big Mac to the Cardinals, I followed him to the Cardinals. When he retired I stayed a Cardinals fan, and it's been great. When McGwire plead the 5th in court, it was a sad day for me, but I got over it. I think he is sincere in his apology. So I had no reserves about him being the Cardinals hitting coach. Now the last couple of seasons he's been on the Dodgers. I'm still a Cardinals fan as I think it was McGwire (can't remember if that's true) was the one that said fans should root for their team and not follow their favorite player should he be traded. I'm not a Dodgers fan, but am not one of those from the Bay Area that hates the Dodgers.

Now, why the Royals? First, let me say the Cardinals haven't really done anything to move me away from them. I'd still root for them,there's just nothing keeping me rooting for the Cards. I don't have a favorite player on the team.However, doing a reflection, I noticed that the Royals have been around me more than I've realized.

Living in Delaware I went to some Blue Rocks games, at the time they were part of the Royals Farm System. Doing part of that stint, I attended an open tryouts for the Blue Rocks that was actually quite informative and fun. Not knowing much about Baseball tryouts the parent club Royals coaches were running it, and they were very professional and approachable. Answered every question I had and were honest with me about my abilities. I knew most of what they told me, but it was nice to kind of get validation that my views on my abilities were close to that of a pro coach. If you're wondering - no didn't make the farm team, was cut during the first day of tryouts - I think it was the second round of cuts, but the had about three cuts that one day.

Then creating a logo update of the team - just for fun and practice, they didn't call me or approach me or anything. It just feels like one of the signs from that I'm being called to join Royals Nation.

This also could be a passing thought, but it feels like more than that.

These all sound like reasonable reasons to switch allegiances. Better than "They're good right now."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about how fans of teams that relocated handled their team moving. Did you remain a fan of the franchise after they left, or almost become an "anti fan" because they left?

I've always said that if the Rays were to move, I would probably become a Marlins fan depending on where the team left. A move to Montreal would make me a hater, but remaining in the Southeast may keep me a fan. It's definitely a tough position for any sports fan.

Curious about how fans of teams that relocated handled their team moving. Did you remain a fan of the franchise after they left, or almost become an "anti fan" because they left?

I've always said that if the Rays were to move, I would probably become a Marlins fan depending on where the team left. A move to Montreal would make me a hater, but remaining in the Southeast may keep me a fan. It's definitely a tough position for any sports fan.

When the Minnesota North Stars left, I did not stay a fan of the franchise...I was definitely sour grapes and hoping they'd lose. I was pretty unhappy when they won the cup. I have moved toward indifferent on them due to 1) getting older, 2) more time passing by, and 3) the Wild coming about. But I had a few friends pulling for the Stars (particularly Modano and other former North Stars). By now, I think most of Minnesota is indifferent to the Dallas Stars.

I tried to adopt a new team. I chose the Red Wings, primarily for uniforms. They were bad in the 1980s and were starting to become good when the North Stars left. It did not take. When they went to the finals and lost to New Jersey, I was almost happy about it because Neal Broten (my favorite North Star) won a cup. And when the Red Wings finally won the cup, any excitement I would have shown would have been forced. So really, I had no team during the time between the Wild and the North Stars; I pretty much looked at the standings all year and then caught some playoff games, which are always exciting. I know there are some here who praise the notion of "fan with no team" but my interest is pretty dependent on having a team and my ability to "choose" a team I have no connection to is pretty weak. So with no North Stats, my NHL interest plummeted (and has only returned about 60%).

Had the Twins moved or been contracted, I honestly don't know what would have happened. MLB is my favorite pro sport and I'd prefer to have a team but I don't know if I'd have been able to make it happen. Had the Vikings stadium deal not happened I am almost certain the NFL (which has slid down my priority list since I was a kid) would have become a non-factor for me. I just would not have had the desire to maintain interest.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I read a fellow Browns fan's post that sums this up pretty succinctly.

"Steelers hate is hoping they never win another game in their existence, Ravens hate is hoping the NFL has to implement its disaster protocol."

This is obviously an exaggeration, but I think you get the gist of what the general feeling is from fans of a former franchise to its new incarnation.

It's just sports teams. Root for who you want for whatever reason you want. All these fan rules are silly for something that's just entertainment.

What he said. I clicked on this thread with the intention of posting the same thing.

BB52Big.jpg

It's just sports teams. Root for who you want for whatever reason you want. All these fan rules are silly for something that's just entertainment.

What he said. I clicked on this thread with the intention of posting the same thing.

So we're okay with somebody like this?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'll be honest, growing up a Lions, Tigers, and Spartans fan... I have no idea how I haven't switched allegiances at some point. Not that Arizona's offerings are much better... ;)

Suppose Detroit fans are either unfathomably loyal or masochists (likely the latter).

I'd take him over the other two guys in the video. The "You're not a real fan" schtick is way worse than a band wagon fan.

Honestly, who cares who roots for who? Nobody has to pay their dues in order to be a fan. Just enjoy the game.

jNTsTyQ.png

It's not even close to the same thing.

BB52Big.jpg

They are thought to be headed to Nashville

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

They are thought to be headed to Nashville

No, they aren't.

I should've made myself more clear. If your favorite team stays in the same area/never relocates, then they should always remain your favorite team. However, if they do move, you should never start rooting for their former regional rivals. You should remain loyal to the history of your former favorite team, even if you no longer support the current version of that team.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Awesome. Lots of good responses. I just like the Cardinals too much. I guess if anything when Big Mac retired I would have switched back to the A's, but I got to liking the Cardinals, and when I attended a game in St. Louis, (the old Busch Stadium) in 2004, I met some awesome fans. I'll probably just root for the Royals when they are not playing the Cardinals.

I mean I kind of Support the A's and Giants (I come from the era where it was more acceptable in the Bay Area to root for both, they even made split caps and apparel!) when they are not playing the Cardinals.

Maybe I'm just not as big a baseball as I was when I was younger. It's probably the sport I know how to play the best.

Archived