NFL Custom Helmet Bumpers: Are the Jaguars the first?

HOOVER

temp124OTA061214--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

While reading an article on Toby Gerhart this morning, I noticed that he and the entire Jaguars football team are wearing custom "JAGS" bumper plates on their helmets now and have been doing so since at least OTA's and now in minicamp. I'm assuming the ending of the Riddell deal opened up this possibility for teams, and I for one think it looks outstanding here.

That being said, I'm a Chiefs fan and have been following their offseason workouts and have noticed that while some are wearing blank bumpers and some even still have Riddell bumpers on, I haven't seen them or any other teams make this move.

Obviously this is more of the Nike/Oregon influence moving into the NFL, which in my opinion is not a bad thing for teams with newer identities like the Jags. Since I'm not going to spend my morning going to look at photos of the other 31 NFL teams' minicamp photo galleries, have you seen any other teams do this yet, and do you expect them to? Jacksonville looks like they also have a black "JAGUARS" decal on the back bumper.

1403126851000-USP-NFL-Jacksonville-Jagua

Are you asking if the Jaguars are the first to use team name bumpers on the helmets? Far from it. Every helmet not made by Riddell has had them for years:

ESPN16.png

The only difference now is that Riddell has lost its "official helmet" designation, and with it the ability to put their own name on them. So you're seeing those team bumpers on all helmets.

Looks like they were using the word "Jacksonville" last season:

20131021_ter_ap5_035.0.jpg

Now that looks bad...Could've sworn I have seen the logo there recently. If not, they should switch to it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Are the Jaguars going to play the Buccaneers this season? It'll be like a horrible car accident you're driving past... you know you'll slow down and stare.

We are, thankfully, spared that. For one year at least.

I believe he means raised-letter helmet bumpers.

This.

Ah. I see, thanks.

The answer is still no, the Jaguars aren't the first to use them. The Giants have been using raised-letter rubberized helmet bumpers at least since 2006. The Giants may or may not have been the first, but in any case the raised letters aren't anything new.

I believe he means raised-letter helmet bumpers.

This.

Ah. I see, thanks.

The answer is still no, the Jaguars aren't the first to use them. The Giants have been using raised-letter rubberized helmet bumpers at least since 2006. The Giants may or may not have been the first, but in any case the raised letters aren't anything new.

Are some of these raised decals one single strip? That NY logo linked above looks like two separate decals...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• 2 years later...

welcome 3D Bumpers!

curious to the full list of NFL teams using your bumpers (even NCAA schools if they are too).  What do you recall being the 1st team/season using these?  pics would be cool.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

3DBUMPERS today: "hello, sports logo people! I googled our name and found you. Please learn more about my exciting company!"

3DBUMPERS in two months: "SHUT UP CUJO WEREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE AN OILERS FAN? BAN THE ZIZEK GUY'S NEW ACCOUNT"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived