Another New Football League: the FXFL

Panthers

FXFL signs a deal to stream games live on ESPN3... a week before the scheduled October 8th launch...

Every story written sounds more like they are paying ESPN as opposed to the other way around. Plus, as I write, the ESPN press release website makes no mention of the agreement.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FXFL signs a deal to stream games live on ESPN3... a week before the scheduled October 8th launch...

Every story written sounds more like they are paying ESPN as opposed to the other way around. Plus, as I write, the ESPN press release website makes no mention of the agreement.

If you have Twitter I'd check out the FXFL page. They have a tweet saying they will have games streaming live on ESPN3 (Sorry I'm on my phone and can't posts links)

Why cant any of these minor league teams get off the ground. Minor League Football was common at one time, Johnny Unitas played in one before signing with the Colts.

Because none of them have any MONEY. Simple.

With every one of these groups since Vince McMahon and the XFL, you've got a group of football guys (or wanna be football guys) who think their idea is so irresistable to the marketplace that they'll find the funding, somewhere, if only they announce their intentions. They all make the same mistake: they make a splash in hopes of coming across "found money," which never materializes.

nav-logo.png

If you have Twitter I'd check out the FXFL page. They have a tweet saying they will have games streaming live on ESPN3 (Sorry I'm on my phone and can't posts links)
And they seem to be paying them to stream it as opposed to doing it (poorly) via YouTube like what the NWSL did in year one before deciding to partner with ESPN.

Again, I did not say it was false, I said it is NOT here: http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/

Why do these teams insist on playing at baseball stadiums? The view is horrible. The Mammoths can play at Omaha Central High School's field. It's downtown, recently renovated (recent being a relative term), and big enough to seat everyone that would show up. Not to mention the field itself is probably much nicer than the baseball field. Yes, it would look slightly unprofessional playing at a high school field, but it's practically a small college anyway. Ie there really no way to work out a deal to play there?

BzdvjtDCAAAx2LI_zpss6qulsd6.jpg

That sound you hear is $$$ going down the drain.

Oh... asked and answered.

The current "estimate" is that there were 3,000 in attendance.

That is 50% less than the 6,000/game they figured on as told to the Omaha World Herald on Sunday.

At the end of the day, it won’t be the attendance number that is the measuring stick for the success of the league, in my opinion,” Woods said. “On a Wednesday night, if we’re able to get 4,000 to 5,000 at TD Ameritrade, I’d say that’s a very successful night for us. “Right now, I’m more interested in developing players, showing their talent in this league and having a good structure.

They fell well short of even the 4,000 mark and they had a GroupOn in which at least 240 were purchased, so around 10% were bought at a severe discount. Regardless of how much "cost-containment" CEO Brian Woods tells the five media who covers him, as long as he is writing bigger checks than he is cashing, they are in major trouble.

And while on regional sports networks, the deal(s) are brokered, so the odds of making money are not great.

Why do these teams insist on playing at baseball stadiums? The view is horrible. The Mammoths can play at Omaha Central High School's field. It's downtown, recently renovated (recent being a relative term), and big enough to seat everyone that would show up. Not to mention the field itself is probably much nicer than the baseball field. Yes, it would look slightly unprofessional playing at a high school field, but it's practically a small college anyway. Ie there really no way to work out a deal to play there?

They may not be able to sell beer at a high school stadium.

If no one's there, it really doesn't matter.

nav-logo.png

If no one's there, it really doesn't matter.

Hyperbole aside, these teams need to sell every $10 beer they possibly can.

Archived