Singular or Non-Plural Team Nicknames

MichiganPackers

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams like the Avalanche, Heat, Jazz all seem to work or have identities that works. So I don't mind them if they have identities that make it work.

One question I do have how do you classify the St. Louis Blues? Blues doesn't seem like a plural as they are a singular entity like Jazz. THey have an S at the end but blues isn't plural for 'blue'.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The Tampa Bay Storm is one of my favorite team names.

In general I prefer plurals but sometimes a singular name just works and sounds great. Another good example from the past is the New Orleans Jazz.

niagaraq.png

It dawned on me sometime last hockey season that the Avalanche could be the Avalanches if they wanted to. They're named after a singular avalanche. It would be like if the Carolina Hurricanes were the Carolina Hurricane.

The ones that are more abstract concepts are the worst - Magic and Wild. I go back and forth on which I dislike more.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I live in Minnesota I was happy when we got an nhl team back and then they announced the name it killed my interest in the team, just don't like singular names for sport teams.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

A name's a name. The real problem is that minor league teams aren't named silly enough. No minor league affiliate should ever take their branding seriously.

That being said I think we can finally close the door on "____ Nation." That poor mechanism has been beaten to death and makes everyone look stupid.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

In the '20s, the Providence Steam Roller existed in the NFL. Why so named? During halftime against a game between the Steam Roller and the Providence Pros, sports writer Charles Coppen who was getting a hot dog, heard a remark that the opposing team was "getting steam-rolled". Coppen loved the remark so much named his team the Steam Roller

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

A name's a name. The real problem is that minor league teams aren't named silly enough. No minor league affiliate should ever take their branding seriously.

That being said I think we can finally close the door on "____ Nation." That poor mechanism has been beaten to death and makes everyone look stupid.

Oil Country FTW.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Singular names are fine in theory. Nobody complains about singular band names. You can say Ringo was a Beatle, but you can't say Cobain is a Nirvana, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. The issue with most singular names, like the Wild, is that they're bad names, but it's not because of the tense.

In the '20s, the Providence Steam Roller existed in the NFL. Why so named? During halftime against a game between the Steam Roller and the Providence Pros, sports writer Charles Coppen who was getting a hot dog, heard a remark that the opposing team was "getting steam-rolled". Coppen loved the remark so much named his team the Steam Roller

Their also used Steam Rollers. Seemingly interchangeably. FWIW.

The Ohio Machine and The Colorado Avalanche are two of my favorite team names. Singular names can be pretty good.

I never thought about it until now, but the Avalanche's nickname is "Avs", which is basically pluralizing a singular thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If it fits, it's a good name, regardless of whether it's a singular or not. I've heard terrible plural names, just as I've heard terrible singular ones. I've heard good singular names, just as I've heard good plural names. Neither one is automatically "better" than the other.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Must respectfully disagree. Singular names are awkward when referring to a single player, and are therefore automatically inferior to almost any plural name.

Abstracted singular names are even sillier when broken down and are therefore inferior even to concrete singular names.

Archived