Sports You Never Cared For

TheRicSlick

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer is in no way boring. 45 minutes of straight action versus other sports that include frequent tv breaks and stoppages. While what some people may see as "boring passing around", soccer observes are watching the build-up of the play. But a person must have some knowledge of how the game works to understand the importance of every pass.

I can watch pretty much any sport, but I have a hard time watching regular season NBA games hard to watch. Too much scoring and such little meaning that I can't invest much into it. I can really only get into basketball if it's march madness or NBA playoffs. High school basketball though, defenitely my favorite sport to watch high school wise.

Soccer is in no way boring. 45 minutes of straight action versus other sports that include frequent tv breaks and stoppages. While what some people may see as "boring passing around", soccer observes are watching the build-up of the play. But a person must have some knowledge of how the game works to understand the importance of every pass.

That's basically a nice version of the old "you just don't get it" argument, which has been beaten to death. You can understand the importance of every pass just fine, and still think it's boring. Sure, you have plays getting set up, but they so frequently and easily get broken up, which means most of the game is just starting over from scratch. There's little tangible consequence of each action.

Compare that to hockey, which is the same concept, except with a smaller field of play leading to more scoring chances, less restricted usage of the hands, and the players are on skates so they have momentum and go BOOM into each other, which is fun. Soccer is not so fun.

It's a little snobby to say that people that don't like the way soccer is played aren't smart enough to get it.

Maybe people just don't like soccer or basketball because it doesn't appeal to them like certain genres of music don't appeal to people. In any form of entertainment people are going to find things that they instinctively like and dislike.

This is also why we have a reputation for being in your face when it comes to liking soccer.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Interesting that the non-hockey fans here mainly define their location as their reason (explains why I rarely see any of you around :P). But then, I'm a hockey fan born and raised in a soccer-obsessed nation. Go figure.

When it comes to sports, I'm more or less exclusively a hockey fan. But it's not that I don't care for every single other sport out there. There's the odd few that I'd like to be a fan of but can't find the time for (American Football, Baseball, Rugby, Formula 1, WRC, maybe Golf?), the ones that I'm flat out not interested in (Basketball, Cricket - the latter despite my location), and then there's that one which is not only boring for me to watch but whose culture and media force feeding has put me off.

I have friends and relatives who are soccer fans to some degree, but I was never raised as a fan. My Dad never cared for it, my Mum doesn't, my siblings don't either. The only time anyone in my family does is when England are playing in the World Cup or UEFA Euro. I'll watch maybe the first half of a game with my family and be completely indifferent to the outcome. But it's funny watching Dad go all Armchair Coach :lol:

One time when I was little, I attempted to get into it because of a class activity where we were asked to say our supported team names. I said "Tott-num" because the kid before me did. This was all new to me and I had no idea what was going on. I never heard of "Arse-nool" before that day, and "West Ham" sounded stupid. I was even a self proclaimed Tottenham fan supporter for a little while, had a full kit and everything, but as with a lot of things when you're a kid it didn't last long. Didn't help that I never saw them on TV or anything. I then watched a certain Disney-made, sports-themed animated series which later influenced me to discover hockey and the NHL on my own.

Thing is with Soccer, in theory I should like the game because it's basically Hockey on grass without the sticks. But it's painfully slow and boring to watch. More to the point: the culture, the excessive glorification, media force feeding, general attitude of "you're a male, therefore you like football", or the needlessly complicated league and playoff format. Not to mention the fact that the face of the game is someone like Wayne :censored:ing Rooney. I don't like any of it and ignore it as much as possible.

TL;DR: everything about soccer puts me off even though I'm British.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The NFL. I am so effing tired of it. It's not July 4th and people are obsessing over it.

Training camp

Johnny Manziel

Who's hurt and how does the effect my fantasy football team

And also...

Those "fans" that us WE when talking about their team, in any sport.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I don't care for soccer, but I don't hate it. What I hate is people telling my why I should like soccer.

Exactly. I love baseball but I also understand why people may not care for it. When someone says "I don't like baseball" or "baseball is boring", I don't take it as an affront to everything I believe in and I certainly don't use it as an opportunity to "preach the gospel" of baseball. God help you if you tell a soccer fan that you don't like soccer. Especially during the World Cup.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't care for soccer, but I don't hate it. What I hate is people telling my why I should like soccer.

Exactly. I love baseball but I also understand why people may not care for it. When someone says "I don't like baseball" or "baseball is boring", I don't take it as an affront to everything I believe in and I certainly don't use it as an opportunity to "preach the gospel" of baseball. God help you if you tell a soccer fan that you don't like soccer. Especially during the World Cup.

I love soccer. I played it and I watch it. But I completely understand the need to not shove the sport down people's throats. I know that to many it is really boring and I can see where they are coming from. Shoving it down someone's throat is not necessary.

The NFL. I am so effing tired of it. It's not July 4th and people are obsessing over it.

Training camp

Johnny Manziel

Who's hurt and how does the effect my fantasy football team

And also...

Those "fans" that us WE when talking about their team, in any sport.

I know what you mean. I still watch football all of the time but my interest has waned a bit. It is not as great as everyone makes it out to be though. And the coverage of it is really ridiculous. Coverage of the OTAs? Come on.

Not a fan of soccer, MMA, or tennis. Soccer especially is like watching paint dry to me.

I'm also not a huge fan of college basketball. I'll keep up with it a bit, I'll watch March Madness, but it's just not as entertaining as the NBA for me (which is kind of strange, because I find college football to be just as entertaining as the pros).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

When I was a kid I used to love the NFL and the Broncos. But over the past couple years my interest in the game of football has taken a drastic nose dive.

I have season tickets to the Broncos (passed down to me from my grandpa) and they have been doing really well recently. But i have not gone to a game in over 5 years, and haven't watched a game on tv (other than the super bowl) in the last 2 years.

The game is slow, uneventful, over saturated, and boring to me now. Plus it's just an ugly sport. People ramming into each other and bruising their bodies all the time just doesn't interest me anymore.

jNTsTyQ.png

Plus it's just an ugly sport. People ramming into each other and bruising their bodies all the time just doesn't interest me anymore.

As my non-NFL fan of a girlfriend says, football is guys in tight pants hitting each other. She isn't wrong and I totally respect that reaction to the sport.

Plus it's just an ugly sport. People ramming into each other and bruising their bodies all the time just doesn't interest me anymore.

As my non-NFL fan of a girlfriend says, football is guys in tight pants hitting each other. She isn't wrong and I totally respect that reaction to the sport.

And getting paid millions to do it.

Basketball. It kinda sucks that I go to one of the top B-Ball high schools in Northern Alberta, but there you go.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

And also...

Those "fans" that use WE when talking about their team, in any sport.

I'm not delusional enough to believe that I'm a member of my favourite team, but sometimes "we" is easier to use than "the team I root for".

Exactly I get annoyed by the people who complain about "we" being used. It's shorter and really the only pronoun you can use other than "they", which sounds like you're talking about the opposing team.

The way I see it, fans can say "we" because they are a part of the fan base of the team.

Archived