what piece of commentry is special to you

Tony Spike

lets face it,

in most great sporting moments you remember the act itself, but its the play by play that makes or breaks the moment

some commentary teams have the knack for saying the right thing at the right time and sometimes it is what's said rather than what is happening that people remember the most

so i want to know what it is that you remember most about sports unsung heros

the most famous piece of commentary in britain is probably Kenneth Wolstenholme's legendary outburt at Geoff Hurst's 3rd goal against West Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final

but what if you watched it on ITV, no one remembers that, i wonder why its Bob Wilsons commentary that is used on the DVDs i have even the ones produced by the BBC for some reason

but for me it has to be 5 little words,

you see i have always been a fan of Sheffield Wednesday, since i was a little kid, but for a spell in the early 90s i was also a Manchester United fan

and my moment came at the end of the 1999 season, after years of getting upset because i had to take them off my champions league wall chart that year, but in 1999 we had a great season, we had just won the league, the F.A. cup and were finally in the champions league final,

for the first time ever (we didnt have sky tv and before then i wasnt as big of a football fan i just read the results in the paper or on teletext) i had watched the highlights of every premier league game on match of the day (and nearly screamed the house down the day Sheffield Wednesday beat us 3-1 just after christmas, ...i was always an owl), watched every F.A. cup game and watched every champions league game, i was well up for a crack at Bayern Munich by that point in time

so when we went a goal down i was upset, problem was it stayed like that for 91 minutes, then we won a corner seeing our golie Schmichael in the Bayern area wasnt an unusual sight in those days especially at that late in a game where we were one nil down, what did we have to lose right?, he had scored before

the ball was half cleared to Giggs, he was my favorite player, i willed him to take a shot but he scuffed it with his weak foot, fortunately Sheringham, who had just come on as a sub managed to direct it the right way and our living room practically erupted

then the unthinkable, 92 minutes gone and a minute left of added time (only Colina the refferee knew where the extra 3 minutes had come from) we attacked right from the kick off, Bayern were stunned but managed to put the ball out, we had another corner, it was time for the second sub of the night to wave his magic wand, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sounded like an sweedish arsenal fans name, but he was nicknamed the baby faced assassin for a reason

Sheringham, wonder sub #1 headed the ball to wonder sub #2,

absolute pandemonium, the Munich players were broken, they had given everything, Oliver Khan their goal keep had a face that was a mix of shock and exhaustion, the big man they had in midfield was crying like a baby, the whistle was blown while we were celebrating

to Manchester United fans that moment forever became known as the promised land, and the june after that i got to visit the stadum for my birthday, see the trophys, and the kits and pennants of the teams (great teams might i add ...they wernt small timers) we had played along the way,

their was LKS Lodz, the team we had to play to even qualify for the competition (the year before we hadnt done enough to automatically go their and their was no Europa League then, seems unthinkable now)

Brondby IF, Bayern Munich, and Barcalona for the group stages (was it fate that we played Bayern 3 times and at the Nou Camp Stadium 3 times, i like to think so)

Inter Milan and Juventus for the knockout stages, then Bayern a second time (but a different colour shirt) for the final

it was probly the best feeling of my life, and the best moment of my life, i might not be a full on united fan any more (a few years later i started supporting my old team full time again ...i only started liking united cos of peer pressure anyway and Wednesday had just been relegated so i decided they could probably use my attention, i had never really stopped following them anyway) but i will always remember that moment because it was a family thing, a moment i had shared with them (they were all united fans) and a season i had shared with them, and its a moment i have never had again

so for me the most memorable sports commentary of all time isnt the men in red knocking the Germans dead in 66, its the men in red that did it in 99

and 5 words i will never forget, "and Solkjaer has won it"

I feel like commentary is an art form in all sports and done poorly by so many, but in the theater of professional wrestling, the color commentary is the bridge from the action to the TV viewer.

It's too hard to pick a Jim Ross moment over the others, but for someone who may never have heard him before, his most quintessential work was the infamous 98 Hell in a Cell match.

The match is an incredible spectacle for what it is, and what's fascinating to me, as a wrestling fan, is that the color commentators have a responsibility not to break "kayfabe," or the illusion of a preordained conclusion and storylines. Despite that duty, they know the wrestlers personally and in most cases have a very close bond with them as performers.

In this particular match, Ross was put to the utmost limits of his role. The fear and terror in his voice are real. The concern is entirely genuine for Foley/Mankind's injuries, return to the ring, and subsequent destruction. Jerry Lawler isn't playing the role of 'smarmy heel color guy' when he says, "That's it - he's dead." Jim Ross warps the 4th wall when he says "They've killed him!" It's not about The Undertaker vs. Mankind, it's the well being of a friend and the inability to stop things because the show must go on.

Ross has to collect himself several times throughout all of this, and remembering his duty to the audience and product while simultaneously lamenting the legitimate brutality he's witnessing. "Would somebody stop the damn match!?!" is a total break of character but it is unequivocally merited. Mick Foley faced the very real risk of permanent paralysis or death with some of the big falls he took, and Ross knows it. Wrestling features an incredible talent at showmanship married to athleticism, and all of them risk legitimate injury at any given night. On this night, however, Foley was nearly killed trying to put on a good show. Ross made that performance, for lack of a better word, legendary with his commentary.

He kind of became a charicature of himself after that and it's now used for comedic effect, but if you are a wrestling fan now during the Michael Cole/JBL era, you realize exactly why Ross was great at what he did, and how as a follow up, Cole can't even begin to wear his shoes.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I feel like commentary is an art form in all sports and done poorly by so many, but in the theater of professional wrestling, the color commentary is the bridge from the action to the TV viewer.

It's too hard to pick a Jim Ross moment over the others, but for someone who may never have heard him before, his most quintessential work was the infamous 98 Hell in a Cell match.

The match is an incredible spectacle for what it is, and what's fascinating to me, as a wrestling fan, is that the color commentators have a responsibility not to break "kayfabe," or the illusion of a preordained conclusion and storylines. Despite that duty, they know the wrestlers personally and in most cases have a very close bond with them as performers.

In this particular match, Ross was put to the utmost limits of his role. The fear and terror in his voice are real. The concern is entirely genuine for Foley/Mankind's injuries, return to the ring, and subsequent destruction. Jerry Lawler isn't playing the role of 'smarmy heel color guy' when he says, "That's it - he's dead." Jim Ross warps the 4th wall when he says "They've killed him!" It's not about The Undertaker vs. Mankind, it's the well being of a friend and the inability to stop things because the show must go on.

Ross has to collect himself several times throughout all of this, and remembering his duty to the audience and product while simultaneously lamenting the legitimate brutality he's witnessing. "Would somebody stop the damn match!?!" is a total break of character but it is unequivocally merited. Mick Foley faced the very real risk of permanent paralysis or death with some of the big falls he took, and Ross knows it. Wrestling features an incredible talent at showmanship married to athleticism, and all of them risk legitimate injury at any given night. On this night, however, Foley was nearly killed trying to put on a good show. Ross made that performance, for lack of a better word, legendary with his commentary.

He kind of became a charicature of himself after that and it's now used for comedic effect, but if you are a wrestling fan now during the Michael Cole/JBL era, you realize exactly why Ross was great at what he did, and how as a follow up, Cole can't even begin to wear his shoes.

wrestling moments are hard to pick but in wrestling for me (and i wont go into match details on this one costhe rumble is so long) its got to be this

i have moments from my era (stone cold winning at mania 14, ultimate warrior winning at mania 6, and the above foley undertaker match) but as an edge fan and because modern era moments are few and far between i pick that moment

http://m.mlb.com/video/v25382543/must-c-comeback-as-rally-off-valverde-for-the-win

"By the dive of Infante into right, a good beginning for the Athletics in the bottom of the ninth"

"Drilled to left center, up the alley, Dirks back, at the wall its off the wall, and turing at third, holding at third, they're going to hold Reddick there on a double off the wall in left centerfield by Donaldson, and the A's are very much alive"

"Reddick will score, Donaldson behind him, throw goes to second and safe there, this game is tied!"

"Crisp will send it into right field a base hit, Seth Smith's coming around, and the Oakland A's will live another day, game 5 is tomorrow!"

And of course, Ray Fosse's scream on the final play

Ground ball trickling its a fair ball gets through buckner gets through buckner, rounding third is knight and the mets are going to win the ballgame, they win win, unbeliveable the red sox are in stunned disbelief.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My favorite piece of hockey commentary. Better than anything Pat Foley's ever done for the Blackhawks. Better than Emrick calling both of the Hawks' recent Cup wins. This is the best.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton: "Humphries, deep drop to throw with a blitz coming, looking long, throwing deep...CAUGHT! Touchdown San Diego! Tony Martin, on a streak pattern! Humphries got pounded after he released the ball...personal foul Pittsburgh, Touchdown San Diego, a 43 yard score!" (Chargers vs. Steelers; 94-95 AFC Championship)

"4th down and goal from the three...three wide receivers, John L. Williams in motion. Neil O'Donnell on a fourth down play to save the season, he throws...BATTED DOWN!" (Same game)

Jerry Coleman: "...and the Padres wrap the National League flag around their shoulders for 1998! Oh, doctor! You can hang a star on that, baby!" (Padres vs. Braves; 1998 NLCS)

Mel Proctor: "...and there it is! Number 3,000 for Tony Gwynn!" (Padres vs. Expos; 1999)

nvm

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived