Worst Commentary You Can Remember

Lights Out

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to Gus Johnson cover soccer games is pretty bad, especially considering he'll likely be calling some matches at the next World Cup.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

"...and boom goes the dynamite."

I've always found this more uncomfortable than funny. Don't get me wrong, it is funny, but something about watching a guy self destruct like that is just hard to watch. If anything, he shows just how hard that job really is.

Micheal cole and JBL need i say more

Micheal cole and JBL need i say more

You need to include Lawler. He's been terrible for years.
Jim Ross provided some insight on this announce team once and I wish I could find the link now but I can't. The gist of it was that Cole is one of the hardest working guys in the biz and really knows his stuff, but that gets lost when they are handcuffed by what's being force fed to them through the headphones. That's part of the reason, if asked, he might not return. They are being asked to recite lines instead of being themselves and calling the match.

Any SEC on CBS game (Lundquist and Danielson), as they try to talk about any teams (usually Alabama) that aren't even playing, Sunday NIght Baseball when it was Joe Morgan and John Miller, the current MNF crew, any game that has Brent Musburger, and any NBA game on TV.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Anything TNT has put on TV the past several years for their NASCAR coverage is just awful. Wally Dallenbach is the Joe Buck of NASCAR.

Wally I think is more a case of being hurt by his fellow announcers.

Remember, he was there when TNT's NASCAR coverage was awesome. You certainly couldn't call him NASCAR's Joe Buck with Allan and BP.

Hands down: Whoever calls Colorado Avalanche games for Altitude Network. My close personal friends agree with me on this one.

1. They lose their mind anytime and Avs player scores. Like it's a Game 7 OT winner, even if it's just a goal 10 minutes into the first period in November.

2. They make almost no indication that the opponent's have scored. Two years ago I had a Ducks @ Avalanche game tuned in on Centre Ice on my TV while I was using my computer. The Avs definitely scored so I turned and watched the replay. I then turned back to my computer to continue doing what I was doing, turned back to the TV about 5 minutes later and the Ducks had scored two goals! I used my PVR option to rewind it and say that on each goal, all the announcers said was a very non-chalant "and it's in." No emphasis or nothing. No "Scores!"

I don't mind a homer announcer. I don't mind an incredibly obvious annoucer. I don't mind an old announcer who can't really keep on top of the plan anymore. As long as they can convey what has happened with the correct amount of emphasis, I'm perfectly okay with that.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

This is peak Mike Haynes. SHOTscores.

The analyst makes matters worse by analyzing what was apparently the triumphant return of longtime Buffalo Sabre Mike Foligno.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chip Carrey is really bad. The entire NL east except for the Mets are pretty bad. The Phillies announcers still pretend it's 2008, with it's "star" Ryan Howard. The Nationals are complete homers. One series against the Braves, their station wasn't blacked out, so I watched their station, and after two innings I watched the rest of the series on mute. It wouldn't surprise me to hear from them "That Pete Orr is a real all-star, he's just in a bit of a slump, shame that David Wright guy (or whoever) is there instead". I actually have no clue about the Marlins.

Chip Carrey is really bad. The entire NL east except for the Mets are pretty bad. The Phillies announcers still pretend it's 2008, with it's "star" Ryan Howard. The Nationals are complete homers. One series against the Braves, their station wasn't blacked out, so I watched their station, and after two innings I watched the rest of the series on mute. It wouldn't surprise me to hear from them "That Pete Orr is a real all-star, he's just in a bit of a slump, shame that David Wright guy (or whoever) is there instead". I actually have no clue about the Marlins.

Well the Phillies announcers are 100% different now than they were in 2008, since Harry Kalas died, and they got rid of Chris Wheeler and Garry Mathews (not that it was a big loss.)

As for TV, Tom McCarthy is a solid "professional" announcer. He's not special at all, but he's fine. His deep fake announcer laugh is annoying, but he does his job. The new color guys are the worst ever. Matt Stairs can't pronounce any words and just rambles about nonsense. Jamie Moyer has less personality than an inanimate carbon rod.

Now, on the radio side, it's a totally different story. Scott Franzke and Larry Andersen are amazing together. They are universally accepted as being on their way to the second coming of Harry kalas and Whitey Ashburn. They are not homers, despite being employed by the team. Larry frequently lashes out and criticizes Phillies players, and their banter together is entertaining enough to listen to even if you don't care about the actual game itself.

Part of me wants them on TV so that a wider audience can appreciate how good they are. Another part of me loves having them on radio because radio is such a different type of broadcast and I just think they are absolutely perfect for it. If it came down to losing Franzke to another market for TV, then I'd promote them and either fire or execute the TV guys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well the Phillies announcers are 100% different now than they were in 2008, since Harry Kalas died, and they got rid of Chris Wheeler and Garry Mathews (not that it was a big loss.)

As for TV, Tom McCarthy is a solid "professional" announcer. He's not special at all, but he's fine. His deep fake announcer laugh is annoying, but he does his job. The new color guys are the worst ever. Matt Stairs can't pronounce any words and just rambles about nonsense. Jamie Moyer has less personality than an inanimate carbon rod.

Now, on the radio side, it's a totally different story. Scott Franzke and Larry Andersen are amazing together. They are universally accepted as being on their way to the second coming of Harry kalas and Whitey Ashburn. They are not homers, despite being employed by the team. Larry frequently lashes out and criticizes Phillies players, and their banter together is entertaining enough to listen to even if you don't care about the actual game itself.

Part of me wants them on TV so that a wider audience can appreciate how good they are. Another part of me loves having them on radio because radio is such a different type of broadcast and I just think they are absolutely perfect for it. If it came down to losing Franzke to another market for TV, then I'd promote them and either fire or execute the TV guys.

I am not really a fan of McCarthy. I agree that the radio guys should be on tv. Stairs and Moyer are just ehh. Nobody will ever compare to Harry and Richie Ashburn. I know a lot of people liked Wheels but I couldn't stand him.

Most people hated Wheels. I do get why, but he never bothered me. Stairs and Moyer are actually painful to listen to. I'd rather have Sarge telling me "well, you know, when you get hit by a 95 MPH fastball, it can hurt, which is why most players try to move out of the way when a fastball is going to hit them". I don't like McCarthy - he wouldn't be my choice - but he's not bad. He's competent, and is a fine stop gap until they find the next guy who can become the "voice".

I really feel that while there will never be a "next" Harry and Whitey, Franzke and LA are becoming the "first" well, Franzke and LA. They're just that good. They should do games together for the next 30 years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most people hated Wheels. I do get why, but he never bothered me. Stairs and Moyer are actually painful to listen to. I'd rather have Sarge telling me "well, you know, when you get hit by a 95 MPH fastball, it can hurt, which is why most players try to move out of the way when a fastball is going to hit them". I don't like McCarthy - he wouldn't be my choice - but he's not bad. He's competent, and is a fine stop gap until they find the next guy who can become the "voice".

I really feel that while there will never be a "next" Harry and Whitey, Franzke and LA are becoming the "first" well, Franzke and LA. They're just that good. They should do games together for the next 30 years.

I don't listen to the radio much but I should just to listen to those two. I agree with you that they should be the Phillies voices for years to come. They at least can get you to somewhat forget the atrocious play of the team. I also agree that T Mac is a decent stop gap. But I'm afraid he is here to stay for a while like Wheeler was.

Archived