Buck Showalter jackets

HyamesField

Does anybody know what's up with Buck Showalter being the ONLY manager/coach/player that doesn't wear the same jackets as everybody else? He's always wearing a jacket that nobody else has... For instance tonight (July 5th @ Red Sox) he wore an all black windbreaker with an oriole head logo on the chest. No other teams seem to have these and just wear the Majestic jackets with the different colored sleeves...Anybody have any info on that?

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-15%20at%201.39.3

You mean this one?

pMLB2-16108031dt.jpg

It's commercially available.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-16108031dt.jpg

He might have been the only one wearing it that day, but he's not the only one who wears it.

He does have his own taste - I don't know if anyone else from the organization ever wears this throwback cap:

pMLB2-9634194dt.jpg

During an Orioles-Yankees game on YES about a year ago (year ago yesterday, to be exact), Michael Kay was talking about how Buck Showalter is only seen wearing the regular team uniform for one occasion each season - Opening Day when both teams lineup on the field. Other than that, during his time in New York, during his time in Baltimore, and likely during his time in Texas as well, he only wears the windbreakers/jackets, which I have to imagine can get quite hot sometimes because when he's wearing a windbreaker, he's often wearing long sleeves under it.

spacer.png

That's a dumb rule.

It's pretty ridiculous that an overweight old man needs to wear the full baseball uniform. They look like saggy pajamas on these geezers.

Lou Piniella was a prime example of this in his Cubs days. He never wore any sort of covering over his uniform, and his grossness was frequently on display because, as you know, he frequently came out of the dugout to argue and whatnot.

lou-piniella-umpire.jpg?w=208

25yzwqg.png

I remember awhile ago I believe it was Terry Francona got pulled out of the dugout during the late innings of a Red Sox-Yankees game for an MLB official to check if he actually had his uniform on. Not sure if it's still a rule.... As for Showalter here is what I'm talking about... Pretty much everybody wears this jacket but with their specific team colors etc... ScreenShot2014-07-06at123223PM_zpsc9d202

However, Buck usually wears this type of windbreaker, one that I haven't seen anybody else wear ever. ScreenShot2014-07-06at123246PM_zps2527ce

This is me nerd-ing out to the fullest but oh well :D

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-15%20at%201.39.3

Francona and at least one other manager wear the sweatshirt/cut-off windbreakers. Francona was on some kind of medication that gives him the chills, so he would always wear it over his jersey. He was spoken to because he used to wear something not specifically team-issued, and that's when the directive came out that he had to wear either the jacket or a specific sweatshirt/windbreaker.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Francona and at least one other manager wear the sweatshirt/cut-off windbreakers. Francona was on some kind of medication that gives him the chills, so he would always wear it over his jersey. He was spoken to because he used to wear something not specifically team-issued, and that's when the directive came out that he had to wear either the jacket or a specific sweatshirt/windbreaker.

Francona has a problem with lower extremity circulation, so he doesn't like having the uniform jersey + undershirt tucked into his pants (along with the compression shorts he wears). He just wears a t-shirt with the windbreaker or sweatshirt over it.

The MLB rule is that managers/players have to have their uniform top on underneath the outer garment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2997982

• 4 weeks later...

Francona has a problem with lower extremity circulation, so he doesn't like having the uniform jersey + undershirt tucked into his pants (along with the compression shorts he wears). He just wears a t-shirt with the windbreaker or sweatshirt over it.

The MLB rule is that managers/players have to have their uniform top on underneath the outer garment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2997982

so stupid that managers and base coaches also have to have a uniform with number on it........takes away numbers that players might want

Speaking of Buck Showalter jackets, I saw a picture this morning of Buck in a "Baltmore" jacket. The script is the same as the Orioles' uniforms from the late 60s-early 70s, not the current road script.

I couldn't embed the picture, so I am inserting a link to the article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-anniversary-0808-20140807,0,4227499.column

1960s- 1970s

1970_10_17_ORIOLES_SMALL.JPG

Current

Orioles-going-retro-with-2012-uniforms.j

The difference is most noticeable with the B and the L.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 4 weeks later...

Archived