2014-2024: The next 10 years in sports

DarkJourney

The Blue Jackets are quietly building a very good team and have stocked their prospect cupboard with a lot of high end talent. It wouldn't surprise me if they put it all together and won a Stanley Cup in 4 to 5 years. It also wouldn't surprise me if these prospects all end up busting and they become a perpetual 6-10 place team that can't win a playoff series. It also wouldn't surprise me if they became like the eastern conference's version of the St. Louis Blues where they'll play a hard style, but get tuckered out by the playoffs and lose to teams with worse records.

The Bengals won't do anything. They'll sign Andy Dalton to a huge contract and that will be a mistake. This accidental streak of being good will come to an end and they'll crash back to earth. They might win a playoff game and I only say because I can't see an NFL team going from 1990-2024 without winning a playoff game, especially when the league will probably be playing 16 playoff teams by the end of the decade.

The Reds have gone all-in since 2012 and are paper thin in the minor leagues. Their star players are aging fast and there doesn’t seem to be anyone in the pipeline to replace them. Their pitching will sustain them for another few years and they might steal another playoff appearance in a wild card game, but I think after that it’ll be another dark 6 or 7 years for Cincinnati baseball.

Seattle will have an NHL or NBA team. Not both.

The Chicago Cubs will lose a world series to the Yankees. Everyone will hate the Yankees. Mike Trout will be on that Yankees team.

Quebec City will get their NHL team. Glendale will lose theirs in five years time.

Soccer will continue to grow in North America. Qatar will lose the 2022 world cup. The US will play in the world cup semifinal in 2022 on home soil.

An NFL team will move to Los Angeles.

An NFL player will die on the field. It will be horrific and sad and we'll have sweeping changes made to the sport.

More players across all sports will come out of the closet. By 2024 this will not be considered a big deal.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even the Lions. They're adding more teams to the playoff field so there will be more playoff wins to go around.

I may agree with your idea regarding "making the playoffs" but I still could see a couple of teams never hosting a game and never getting a W.

EDIT: Next 10 World Series why not)

2014 - Giants over Tigers 4-2

2015 - Athletics over Dodgers 4-3

2016 - Red Sox over Dodgers 4-0

2017 - Red Sox over Pirates 4-1

2018 - Pirates over Twins 4-3

2019 - Pirates over Blue Jays 4-0

2020 - Cubs over Twins 4-3

2021 - Red Sox over Braves 4-3

2022- Red Sox over Cardinals 4-0

2023 - Red Sox over Phillies 4-3

2024 - Rockies over Royals 4-2

You really see this one going seven? I am thinking Boston takes that one in five...maybe even a sweep. :)

(Sorry)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Kings Dynasty.

UL-L Sunbelt Conference Dynasty.

UL and LSU win a College World Series.

Saints win a Superbowl... with and without Drew Brees.

Pelicans make a deep playoff run.

IceGators win SPHL championship.

Tulane makes a decent run at the AAC title.

Nick Saban gives the NFL another try.

LSU wins a national title in football.

Blue Jays win World Series.

Oilers become good.

Leafs go to a SCF.

Quebec gets an NHL team.

Toronto gets an NFL team.

LA gets an NFL team.

The University of New Orleans gets a new football program.

The high-school I once went to will win the Louisiana State Championship in front of me at the Dome.

UL-L joins a better conference. Maybe the AAC. For some reason I keep thinking that they'll join the Big 12.

Yulman Stadium at Tulane becomes a huge success.

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

Liverpool and Arsenal will win the BPL, and West Ham will be the next club to be bought by a billionaire oil guru with the move to the Olympic Stadium, however they'll become the next Arsenal/Spurs of the last 10 years.

Man United will be passed over by Man City for the foreseeable future heading into another dark age for the team, and Chelsea will become the Bonafide BPL kings over that period.

Wishlist (but never going to happen): AFC Wimbledon rises up to the Premiership, and Portsmouth makes a valiant return to the top flight. Everton and sometimes Southampton become regular contenders for Champions league football, adding some great real parody to the league for the first tine in recent history.

All my favorite teams win, like, 30 titles somehow

The teams I hate all suck, lol

Joe Buck retires

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Kings Dynasty.

UL-L Sunbelt Conference Dynasty.

UL and LSU win a College World Series.

Saints win a Superbowl... with and without Drew Brees.

Pelicans make a deep playoff run.

IceGators win SPHL championship.

Tulane makes a decent run at the AAC title.

Nick Saban gives the NFL another try.

LSU wins a national title in football.

Blue Jays win World Series.

Oilers become good.

Leafs go to a SCF.

Quebec gets an NHL team.

Toronto gets an NFL team.

LA gets an NFL team.

The University of New Orleans gets a new football program.

The high-school I once went to will win the Louisiana State Championship in front of me at the Dome.

UL-L joins a better conference. Maybe the AAC. For some reason I keep thinking that they'll join the Big 12.

Yulman Stadium at Tulane becomes a huge success.

Louisiana has no chance of getting into the Big 12. I agree that the AAC is likely, though. They will probably be Cincinnati or UConn's replacement. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Monroe move to the CUSA.

Detroit Lions: Continue to stumble along as an also-ran franchise. Make the playoffs now and then, but no Super Bowls.

Detroit Tigers: Remain the top team in the AL Central for several more years, making it to 2 more World Series, winning once.

Detroit Red Wings: Franchise continues descent to middle-of-pack team as rebuild/"We like this team, as is.." continues. No Stanley Cups, but the playoff streak continues.

Detroit Pistons: Pistons get even worse the first few years as the rebuild continues, but they should be back on track by 2018.

CMU Football: Dan Enos fired as coach as program continues to stumble.

Port Huron: McMorran Arena is renovated, and Port Huron gets yet another hockey team, this time in the USHL. Arena football comes and goes.

Saginaw Spirit: Win their first OHL championship.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Two more Super Bowl appearances, winning once.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Make it to the Stanley Cup Finals, but lose.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

• There will be expansion by at least two of the big four. From most to least likely IMO; NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL.
  • The antitrust exemptions will be heavily challenged by the US government in an election year.
  • An owner or general manager will have an attempt on their life made. Leaning heavily towards the NFL.
  • After years of debate and lawsuits, no real change is made to the NCAA.
  • That team you think has a bunch of young talent and is poised to be the dynasty of the next decade? No rings. They make a bad trade, a key prospect gets hurt, they hire the wrong coach/manager, and their talent gets wasted.
  • The good team you think peters out? They work the late rounds of the draft, find the pieces they need, and keep chugging away.
  • Two former pro athletes become Governors.

As for my teams, of the Nationals, Wizards, Redskins, Orioles, or Capitals, one of them will make a conference/ league finals. The Nats are my best guess, but I could easily see them reeling off a five year streak of 90+ losing seasons by 2014. I also think RGIII gets traded by 2016 and will make a Super Bowl elsewhere and John Wall or Bradley Beal tear an ACL and become a fraction of what they were. I have little faith in my teams.

Penn State proves to be challenging in the B1G East soon after the ban is over. Hackenberg might make some noise in the future as well. Maybe be a finalist in some awards. I think their defense will continue to be one of the best in the nation, and I think they may start to get some big offensive weapons. Uniforms stay the same :)

Cleveland will still be Cleveland, and Clevelanders will still be Clevejacking threads... they'll just be doing it with Google's new thought-to-screen touchless computers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the NHL...

- Chicago wins 1-2 more Cups before huge upcoming contracts for Kane and Toews begin to take a toll

- St. Louis will finally win a Cup

- Tampa Bay and Colorado win Cups, maybe Anaheim?

- Dallas looks good for several years, maybe losing in the Final

- Columbus becomes a significant threat in the Metro, while Pittsburgh will start to level off for several years

- Detroit will finally miss the playoffs

- And finally, the Kings will win 2-3 more Cups (hopefully) with one of them being at the tail end of these ten years

As a side note, there should be a whole lot of jerseys and events planned for the 2017-18 season for the league's centennial and 5 franchises' 50th celebrations.

Los Angeles will have a football team and it will be the... Rams.

The Lakers will return to the promised land but it'll be at the 2019-2020 season.

The Kings and Hawks will represent the West (with only one meeting between them) for the next two-to-three years before one of them gets usurped by the Ducks or Blues with one of the latter two raising the Cup.

A historically bad team in the NHL will have one glorious, unexpectedly good season and win it's first Cup.

LeBron will only win 2 more titles.

The Cowboys will make it to a Conference Championship by 2018, only to lose in a vintage Romo fashion. Romo will retire because of that and we win a Super Bowl within two years of his retirement.

The Raiders will return to contender status but won't win the big one.

In 2018, the USMNT will reach the Semi-Final after defeating Russia in the quarters. They will also win their Group.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Dallas Cowboys:

The Cowboys get a lucky break and sneak into the playoffs as a wild card team and get to the NFC Championship in 2016. However, Romo retires after the loss to Seattle in Seattle.

However, the playoff run embudes the team with confidence, and next year the run away with the NFC East, run the table en route to humbling the Seahawks in a repeat of the year before. Except in the comfort of Jerry's World and not the hostility of Century Link Field.

Dallas, with all the momentum in the world, wins the Super Bowl over New England in what would be Tom Brady's last game as a professional QB.

Toronto Blue Jays:

In 2015, the team gels and remains relatively injury-free throughout the season to capture the AL East pennant for the first time since 1993. The Jays handle the Angels and Tigers enroute to their first World Series since 1993.

The Blue Jays and their NL Opponent, the San Francisco Giants have a classic 7-game series in which the Jays win the comfort of their own building (thanks to the AL winning that year's All Star Game).

Lehigh Mountain Hawks:

Lehigh crushes Lafayette in the 150th meeting in Yankee Stadium on national television to avenge last year's stinging defeat. Lehigh will make a few deep runs in the FCS playoffs, although I don't expect them to bring an FCS National Championship home.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived