West Ham United Polling Fans on New Badge

Gothamite

Looks like they've made already some minor changes to it, based on fan responses.

"UNITED" made more prominent, "LONDON" reduced. According to West Ham Till I Die, they also tweaked the colors, but I don't think these graphics are necessarily reliable enough to indicate what they are.

WestHamUnited_newbadge_revised_zps477ba9

Congratulations, Fans! You made a bad redesign even worse.

This is why you don't let fans (read: non-designers) design your new crest.

I've avoided giving a take because I wasn't quite sure what I thought, but having processed it for a while, I have come to the opposite opinion.

Removing the silly Disney castle is a major upgrade. I think the crossed riveting hammers were always the strongest part of the old crest, and focusing on them makes sense. Like Liverpool replacing their overly-detailed badge with the simple, iconic liverbird.

I'm agnostic on some of the other details, but this is overall an improvement on the old. The strongest one is the blue background; it will have the maximum impact against a claret shirt.

It was hard for me to wrap my head around if, since West Ham has had their crest for so long, but I think this is a pretty significant step up. And kudos to the club for getting the fans involved.

Dear corporate designers: are marketers asking for gradients or fake shading? Stop. Explain how horrifying and unnecessary this is. Rinse and repeat until they go back to their excel documents.

I honestly don't have a problem with making a logo 3D or have some effects on it for the purposes of a presentation. It's natural state should be flat for reproduction purposes but there is no reason you can't embellish a logo in some instances.

A Premier League club consulting supporters on a controversial change to its identity? Good to see West Ham making the effort, maybe some other clubs could learn from them...

Crystal Palace consulted their fans and the ones that were proposed were all thrown out with the current badge coming in as a late contender.

Somehow correct, at the end that didn't take the crest most fans liked, but took a designer owner liked and tried to imitate the crest board members wanted... unsuccessfully. Such a missed opportunity. Board members called the current eagle a pigeon... Hope WHUFC fans have more voting power.

Count me as another that actually likes the new West Ham crest. I would have removed "London" and moved "United" to the bottom, but it's still so much cleaner than the old crest.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There really wasn't a need to make "United" bigger. It's still readable at that smaller size, which I guess is a moot point when you think about the typical logo placement on a football shirt and how small it usually is. Being from an area with a lot of Hammer fans, most people I know refer to the team as just "West Ham", so putting that much emphasis on "United" seems redundant. Also, I can't help but notice that they've shrunk the hammers just to accommodate the newly resized text. Or maybe I'm seeing things because the logo rendering is slightly smaller. It could still do without the "London", but shrinking it and giving it less curvature makes it feel less noticeable and forced in, so I'll give them kudos for that.

If it were up to me, this logo would have no text whatsoever, but apparently only 5% of the team's fans agree with me, and I'm not a fan anyway, so, whatever.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The strongest one is the blue background; it will have the maximum impact against a claret shirt.

So West Ham can try and look even more like Villa? :P

The crest is so crowded at the top and so empty everywhere else, the balance just looks off. I dunno though.

6fQjS3M.png

I think reducing the size of "United" may have felt to some fans as though they were ceding the name to Manchester.

I think it might more be the case that they feel reducing the prominence of 'United' may make it easier for further changes to the name to occur in the future.

There was some talk of the club adding the suffix 'Olympic' to go along with the stadium move, talk that wasn't that well received by supporters. Some may see the playing down of 'United' as a baby step towards that - the less prominent it becomes now, the easier it may be to change in the future.

Our own name change battle is still raging up in here in Hull, an early shot by the club was an attempted sawing off our 'AFC' suffix - not part of our name that's used everyday I grant you, but it has historical relevance and the attempt to airbrush it out was seen as a first step to the total change the owners want. West Ham fans may well view the downplaying of 'United' in a similar light.

Had forgotten about that. Makes sense.

Which one was "the crest most fans liked"? I never heard the poll results.

Don't want to highjack WHUFC thread, but here it is: http://lr51.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/e0e47-cpfcinfoboards.jpg

Yes, I'm still bitter about that. :(

Didn't the club hold an official vote of the fans? How did that come out?

Archived