2014 NCAA Division I Mens Soccer

VictoriaGooner

Louisville City FC (I was making fun of their name adding the Towne. This is the new USL team that is moving from Orlando) doesn't start until April 2015 so the stadium will be complete by then. Instead they are playing in a minor league baseball stadium, during the summer, at the same time as a AAA baseball team. Why they couldn't play in a college soccer stadium while that team isn't playing is beyond me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisville City FC (I was making fun of their name adding the Towne. This is the new USL team that is moving from Orlando) doesn't start until April 2015 so the stadium will be complete by then. Instead they are playing in a minor league baseball stadium, during the summer, at the same time as a AAA baseball team. Why they couldn't play in a college soccer stadium while that team isn't playing is beyond me.

Good point, but it would probably be a conflict between UofL and Orlando City FC.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

It's also the only chance we actually get to brag about having one of the nicest facilities in the NCAA.

6922270158_18e245fc36.jpg

I agree with you as well, but it won't be as nice as the new Louisville soccer stadium when it's finished. :)

6_836853.jpg

uoflstadiumnew.jpeg

6_942224.JPG

Hopefully, this is the year the Cards get over the hump and wins a National Title with the #9 preseason ranking.

That's a pretty nice SSS for Louisville. Engelmann could use an upgrade or two for sure, but it also has history as one of the oldest soccer specific stadium's in North America (built in 1974). Apparently there's renderings of the pitch enclosed in seating, which would bring the capacity over 5,000 and be big enough to host a NASL team.

124ubr7.jpg

Oh I thought Louisville City FC was meant to start PDL play in 2014? I saw a report on them in January/February saying they were looking forward to PDL play in 2014 as a tune up then start USL PRO league play in 2015. As for the logistics of Louisville City FC sharing the new U-L soccer stadium with U-L, their seasons are directly opposite to one another (U-L are in fall and LCFC is in spring/summer & fall for play-offs). But the big deterant that could be holding this all up is the idea of a professional soccer club playing on a university campus where sponsorship and advertising a not looked upon highly, especially in a sport like college soccer where it is a non-revenue sport. But I think LCFC would benefit playing in a soccer specific stadium vice a modified AAA baseball stadium. I always hated watching soccer games from baseball stadiums because you are never close enough to the action with the layout of the seating.

dfwabel,

I agree with everything you have said with respect to passing this proposal in the next two weeks. But this will not be chaired to the NCAA Goverance Board for proposal in the next two weeks. Due to the complexity of the proposal, the earliest the new split season will take effect is August 2016. Which I stated at the end of in the original post on this subject. As for the mid-January NSCAA Convention, it was already tabled at the 2014 convention with senior personnel from USSF, MLS and NCAA coming to an agreement on the proposal and way ahead for the future. It will most likely go in front of the NCAA Goverance Board sometime in 2015 so that it will take affect for 2016 onwards. As for chartering enough qualified aircraft for the NCAA championships, that is another hurdle that the NCAA and the proponents to this proposal will have to look at. Myself nor the author of this article have said this will occur steadfastly and it will be easy. It was a report that was released on Monday stating the intentions of NSCAA in looking into expanding the college soccer season for being based entirely on player development.

What the NSCAA does or did has nothing to do directly with the NCAA legislative process or its governance, current or whatever occurs after August 7.

The current NCAA legislative process is what you need to be concerned with, specifically the timeline of a proposal. Just because they would like an action to start by date X, the process of which an item can be tabled or the 60-day process in which membership can comment or override legislation, a separate 60-day process, is what drive action.

dfwabel,

I agree with everything you have said with respect to passing this proposal in the next two weeks. But this will not be chaired to the NCAA Goverance Board for proposal in the next two weeks. Due to the complexity of the proposal, the earliest the new split season will take effect is August 2016. Which I stated at the end of in the original post on this subject. As for the mid-January NSCAA Convention, it was already tabled at the 2014 convention with senior personnel from USSF, MLS and NCAA coming to an agreement on the proposal and way ahead for the future. It will most likely go in front of the NCAA Goverance Board sometime in 2015 so that it will take affect for 2016 onwards. As for chartering enough qualified aircraft for the NCAA championships, that is another hurdle that the NCAA and the proponents to this proposal will have to look at. Myself nor the author of this article have said this will occur steadfastly and it will be easy. It was a report that was released on Monday stating the intentions of NSCAA in looking into expanding the college soccer season for being based entirely on player development.

What the NSCAA does or did has nothing to do directly with the NCAA legislative process or its governance, current or whatever occurs after August 7.

The current NCAA legislative process is what you need to be concerned with, specifically the timeline of a proposal. Just because they would like an action to start by date X, the process of which an item can be tabled or the 60-day process in which membership can comment or override legislation, a separate 60-day process, is what drive action.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

In coaching news, Indiana University assistant coach Ernie Yarborough was named Stetson's head coach on July 31. He replaces the late T. Logan Fleck after he passed away earlier in July. This is a huge step for Yarborough as I believe he has the qualities to take a mid-Div 1 program to the next level. And Stetson is a great place to start as a head coach. He's been an assistant coach at Wisconsin, Michigan, UAB, and Indiana twice. All his posts as assistant coach has helped those schools achieve both regular season and tournament championships, NCAA tournament berths, as well as claiming a strong defensive core. This will leave a big hole in Indiana's coaching ranks and Todd Yeagley will have to find a suitable replacement prior to the start of the season later this month.

I just came across this article posted on the Sam Houston State soccer program. It is dated from April 2014 but it shows the level of coaching has dramatically increased over the last 10 years in the NCAA with college coaches going overseas to coaching workshops and clinics. They are realizing the level of coaching is not where it should be and thankfully federations like USSF and CSA are going to The FA and their top club academies for clinics. (Southampton, Manchester United, Arsenal and Leeds United being the creams of the crop).

Tom Brown is the head coach of the Sam Houston State women's team.

I totally support college soccer despite the stigma of it ruining development. I feel like what it comes down to is opportunities. Graham Zusi is from Orlando. At the time he was a kid the MLS has very little youth development if any. Especially in Florida. He went up to Maryland and played and now he's a lock for a USMNT roster. MLS teams can't develop everyone, whether it being location or their parents not wanting to commit to pro soccer so at such a young age.

So why doesn't US Soccer get involved with those coaches? Try to get D1 soccer to the level where players drafted won't have a huge learning curve compared to internationals and other pros. I feel like pros fighting colleges isn't beneficial in the long run. But if MLS coaches run clinics in their off season to help college teams, then the quality of college soccer would improve and so would soccer in America, ja feel?

I agree fully with you Mike with the wishing of MLS coaches running off-season clinics for NCAA coaches. It would be beneficial to both to the NCAA with creating a better product on the pitches and to the MLS whereby the quality of players being drafted are closer to the professional levels that they are looking for, meaning less time spent in the reserve teams for those drafted players (which happens alot with drafted players from NCAA currently). But because MLS coaches and the MLS in general do not offer this instruction, many NCAA coaches go overseas to England, Scotland, Spain, Portugal and Germany for those quality coaching clinics. Which is a shame for MLS and the USSF due to the loss of connection to their own development feeder system within the NCAA.

I totally support college soccer despite the stigma of it ruining development. I feel like what it comes down to is opportunities. Graham Zusi is from Orlando. At the time he was a kid the MLS has very little youth development if any. Especially in Florida. He went up to Maryland and played and now he's a lock for a USMNT roster. MLS teams can't develop everyone, whether it being location or their parents not wanting to commit to pro soccer so at such a young age.

So why doesn't US Soccer get involved with those coaches? Try to get D1 soccer to the level where players drafted won't have a huge learning curve compared to internationals and other pros. I feel like pros fighting colleges isn't beneficial in the long run. But if MLS coaches run clinics in their off season to help college teams, then the quality of college soccer would improve and so would soccer in America, ja feel?

Not sure I understand how college soccer would hurt development. College baseball and hockey exist never get accused of hurting development despite MLB and the NHL having well-entrenched, multi-level farm systems.

Not sure I understand how college soccer would hurt development. College baseball and hockey exist never get accused of hurting development despite MLB and the NHL having well-entrenched, multi-level farm systems.

The bulk of the top prospects in both baseball and hockey never darken the doorway of an NCAA program in those respective sports. Baseball tosses domestic players into the minors as soon as high school is ended. And much of the NHL's player pool comes from abroad or the Major Junior teams in Canada. Why get cranky about how your bench players are being developed?

This is going to hurt VictoriaGooner, but again, not enough people care. Specifically, not enough people care to buy tickets to watch NCAA soccer. Soccer is emphatically a non-revenue sport in an athletic landscape that is run like a business. What AD is going to throw good money after bad for soccer? So there is no incentive on the college's end to improve the coaching. Additionally, sees as the NCAA is desperately trying to pretend that they are all about the amateurism, they aren't going to help out an organization that helps regulate professional soccer in this country. The O'Bannon case and Kessler cases are (ironically) the biggest nemeses of the college soccer reform push. US Soccer is aware of this and, again, why throw good money after bad?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NCSAA released their pre-season Top 25. Some shocks: UMBC being ranked 19th, especially after having a standup season in 2012 and 2013 - was predicting them being top 12 for sure. As well Indiana and Saint Louis no even making the top 25, shock for sure. Both those programs are going backwards for sure.

2lcwv1x.jpg

Other colleges missing out of the top 25 but receiving votes: VCU, Clemson, UAB, Delaware, Elon, Creighton, George Mason, Indiana, Duke, Saint Louis, St. John's, Michigan, Syracuse, Northwestern, Tulsa, South Florida, UW-Milwaukee, Bradley, William & Mary, Denver and Monmouth

Top Drawer Soccer has been slowing releasing their Div I conference previews. So far the Horizon and Summit Leagues, Southern and Sun Belt conference previews are posted. Great little indepth previews, a good read. Also their pre-season Top 100 will be released shortly in the coming week with the Div I season kicking off the last week of August.

Indiana needed to really pull a Big Ten Conference tournament win out of their collective asses to make the NCAAs last season. Not sure why them not being ranked is a shock.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the opening weekend of the NCAA Div 1 soccer season with most teams kicking off on Friday night. Here is the NSCAA Top 10 fixtures for the opening weekend.

1. Notre Dame: Aug 29 @ #12 Marquette; Aug 31 v #9 Georgetown

2. Maryland: Aug 29 v #14 Louisville

3. Virginia: Aug 29 @ #25 Old Dominion

4. UCLA: Aug 29 v #11 Wake Forest; Aug 31 v #22 North Carolina

5. New Mexico: Aug 29 @ #13 Akron

6. Washington: Aug 29 v Gonzaga

7. California: Aug 29 v #22 North Carolina; Aug 31 v #11 Wake Forest

8. Connecticut: Aug 29 @ Coastal Carolina

9. Georgetown: Aug 29 v Indiana; Aug 31 @ #1 Notre Dame

10. Michigan State: Aug 29 @ SMU; Aug 31 @ Florida International

Matches of the weekend:

- Maryland v Louisville

- Georgetown v Indiana (rematch of the 2012 NCAA College Cup Final)

- Notre Dame v Georgetown

Most of the matches will be broadcast through the respective college athletic sites. One is New Mexico v Akron. Good for college soccer to be back and in the swing of things.

Louisville released a video of their new soccer-specific Lynn Stadium. Recommend you turn the sound down unless you like marching bands :P

I'm not sure how often I'm going to need to post "Indiana blew goat chunks last season, let's not expect too much out of them" before it registers.

Today, we are all otaku.

From the opening weekend of the NCAA men's soccer season:

1. Notre Dame: Aug 29 @ #12 Marquette (W, 2-1); Aug 31 v #9 Georgetown (D, 0-0)

2. Maryland: Aug 29 v #14 Louisville (L, 1-0)

3. Virginia: Aug 29 @ #25 Old Dominion (W, 1-0 OT)

4. UCLA: Aug 29 v #11 Wake Forest (W, 3-1); Aug 31 v #22 North Carolina (W, 1-0)

5. New Mexico: Aug 29 @ #13 Akron (W, 2-0)

6. Washington: Aug 29 v Gonzaga (W, 4-0)

7. California: Aug 29 v #22 North Carolina (L, 3-1); Aug 31 v #11 Wake Forest (W, 4-1)

8. Connecticut: Aug 29 @ Coastal Carolina (L, 3-2)

9. Georgetown: Aug 29 v Indiana (D, 1-1); Aug 31 @ #1 Notre Dame (D, 0-0)

10. Michigan State: Aug 29 @ SMU (W,1-0); Aug 31 @ Florida International (W, 3-0)

Other big results:

Creighton came up with two home victories this past weekend which will most likely move them up into the bottom half of the NSCAA/adidas Top 25

Aug 29 - Creighton 2-0 #20 Stanford

Aug 31 - Creighton 1-0 Santa Clara

Utah Valley 5-1 UMass

- The above score is big news because it was their inaugural match as a program and inaugural home match. The Wolverines put on a display in front of a crowd short of 2700 and came away with a huge victory. UMass were College Cup semi-finalists back in 2007 (Edited)

Psst...UMass hasn't made the tournament since 2008. Their trip to the national semis was in 2007, which might have been the weirdest tournament ever in terms of upsets. It also constitutes ancient history in terms of current rosters for both teams.

EDIT: This is also why they lost 5-1 to a soccer team from the :censored: ing WAC.

Today, we are all otaku.

Psst...UMass hasn't made the tournament since 2008. Their trip to the national semis was in 2007, which might have been the weirdest tournament ever in terms of upsets. It also constitutes ancient history in terms of current rosters for both teams.

EDIT: This is also why they lost 5-1 to a soccer team from the :censored: ing WAC.

Well I was posting that UVU link not just because of UMass but because of that being their inaugural match in their program history. It is huge for them, especially upsetting a once College Cup semi-finalist, no matter how "weird" the tournament it was. UMass will always say that their soccer program made the College Cup semi-finals once unlike A LOT of other college soccer programs. And at the moment UMass if going through a low spell with the passing away of their long-time 23 year head coach Sam Koch.

Well I was posting that UVU link not just because of UMass but because of that being their inaugural match in their program history. It is huge for them, especially upsetting a once College Cup semi-finalist, no matter how "weird" the tournament it was. UMass will always say that their soccer program made the College Cup semi-finals once unlike A LOT of other college soccer programs. And at the moment UMass if going through a low spell with the passing away of their long-time 23 year head coach Sam Koch.

Roughly 1 out of every 4 current Division I programs have at least made the National semis. Proportionately speaking its not that elite of company.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived