Things You'd Change, Popular or Unpopular

Tigers6884

Expand the playoffs and eliminate the P5/G5 distinction and college football would be more entertaining than the NFL.

College basketball once had a tournament of just conference champions. Now they're at 68 teams that play in the tournament. Somewhere along the way, TV viewership dropped like a rock for regular season games. Want to guess why?

A 4-team playoff is fine. It doesn't make the regular season less meaningful.

You're never going to get rid of the power vs. non-power conference distinction. The power conferences are the ones that are keeping the Sisters of the Poor conferences funded. You should be thanking the Big Ten and the SEC for subsidizing the Mountain West's asses.....

A 4-team playoff STILL involves opinions as to the 4.

So.....you think the number of teams that feel that "We're #8, #12, #16, etc." will be fewer in number than those that make a claim for being #4?

Win your conference, that will put the number at what, 9.

if DI-FCS, DII, DIII can do it with MORE than 4 teams, why can't the pros, errr I mean DI-FBS do it?

Yes, but who wants to watch the Sun Belt champ get wrecked by the SEC champion?

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but then people will bitch that the #2 team from the SEC is a better team than the Mountain West Champ.

Have a 4 team playoff and #'s 5 and 6 will bitch; have an 8 team playoff and #'s 9 and 10 will bitch.

People in sports just love to complain.

Who wants to see the 16 seed get wrecked by the 1 seed in March Madness? I know there's more parity in college basketball, but the problem isn't a lack of contenders so much as it is fitting in the Bowl $eries alongside the playoffs into one postseason

Fair enough, but the NCAA Tournament at least allows a lot of at-larges, to the point where the bubble boy probably will go as far as the 16 seed. If we're talking just 9 conference champions, then people will complain about how at-large Alabama missed the tournament, but Louisiana-Lafayette gets in.

Expand the playoffs and eliminate the P5/G5 distinction and college football would be more entertaining than the NFL.

College basketball once had a tournament of just conference champions. Now they're at 68 teams that play in the tournament. Somewhere along the way, TV viewership dropped like a rock for regular season games. Want to guess why?

You're never going to get rid of the power vs. non-power conference distinction. The power conferences are the ones that are keeping the Sisters of the Poor conferences funded. You should be thanking the Big Ten and the SEC for subsidizing the Mountain West's asses.....

So.....you think the number of teams that feel that "We're #8, #12, #16, etc." will be fewer in number than those that make a claim for being #4?

if DI-FCS, DII, DIII can do it with MORE than 4 teams, why can't the pros, errr I mean DI-FBS do it?

Is that any better than an SEC team who schedules a DI-FCS team at the beginning of the year? Oh wait, it is, since the regular season game is usually against a very underfunded team that WILL be crushed in front of "knowledgeable" fans

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Is that any better than an SEC team who schedules a DI-FCS team at the beginning of the year? Oh wait, it is, since the regular season game is usually against a very underfunded team that WILL be crushed in front of "knowledgeable" fans

Is the Sun Belt champion one of the Top 9 teams in the country most of the time? No. It should be in the best interest of the playoff to put the best 4,8, 12, 16, or whatever # of teams in the playoff. You're going to get complaints no matter what you do.

If those "fans" from the major conferences have such a problem with a 1-16 matchup of Alabama-Troy, they should pressure "their" university to break away from the NCAA and its fraudulence of amateurism, form a college/pro league.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I still think the best playoff idea for college football I've heard comes from Greg/Infrared:

8 teams, 6 highest ranked conference winners plus 2 best at large.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I hate that the Mountain West Conference (football) didn't get to have Utah, Boise State, TCU & BYU all in the fold together. Now Boise is the only one of those four in the MWC. Utah got lucky and joined the PAC-12. BYU went Indy.TCU is in the Big XII. Conference realignment sucks.

Sidenote: Miss the old Big East football. Before the great conference shift those games between Miami, Virginia Tech & West Virginia were must see TV (for me atleast).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The CFL is superior to the NFL in every way but in the skill of the players and the jerseys.

FYP.

I don't know. I'd take Toronto and Hamilton's jerseys over most of what Nike's released so far for the NFL.

The CFL is superior to the NFL in every way but in the skill of the players and the jerseys.

FYP.

I don't know. I'd take Toronto and Hamilton's jerseys over most of what Nike's released so far for the NFL.
I have been a fan of the CFL since the Stallions graced my hometown of Baltimore. When they had to relocate to Montreal I became a Hamilton Tiger-Cats fan and of course I root for the Ravens but I always enjoy the CFL game.

5259322014.gifii4emifo9u74i1gmgadtan9dy.gif5281902012.gif

I love the idea of a sudden death overtime in basketball. It gets rid of the often anti-climactic "free-throw contest" endings and makes every shot become a potential game-winner. Teams would play their ass off on defense and make sure they really took their time to get a great shot on offense. This idea was discussed a lot on ESPN recently because every NBA summer league game goes to sudden death in the 2nd OT. I had no idea about that.

I guess the other side of the argument is that an entire game shouldn't be decided on one play, but why not?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

FYP.

Perhaps he was referring to the ads? Because in my opinion, the only "bad" looks are Calgary, Edmonton (road only), and Ottawa (and they're not even that bad).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Chase IMHO was not a bad idea for NASCAR.

Consider that from 1993-2003, there were only two truly good NASCAR title race- 1996-1997. 6 of the 13 NASCAR title seasons in that stretch were decided before the final race, and some that were on the last day (1995, 2002) weren't exactly epic battles (Tony Stewart I feel backed into the 2002 title when Marlin got hurt and Mark Martin/Jimmie had that WTF pace-lap moment at Talladega).

I mean, Matt Kenseth basicalkly staying out of trouble and winning a title wasn't exactly a compelling case to stay with the status quo.

I love the idea of a sudden death overtime in basketball. It gets rid of the often anti-climactic "free-throw contest" endings and makes every shot become a potential game-winner. Teams would play their ass off on defense and make sure they really took their time to get a great shot on offense. This idea was discussed a lot on ESPN recently because every NBA summer league game goes to sudden death in the 2nd OT. I had no idea about that.

I guess the other side of the argument is that an entire game shouldn't be decided on one play, but why not?

This needs to be a thing in the NBA.

Archived