Things You'd Change, Popular or Unpopular

Tigers6884

The Ivy League football champion should be allowed to compete in the Division 1 FCS playoffs. Quite frankly it's not fair football is the only Ivy League sport that does not get the chance to compete for a National Champion. I have a hard time believing participating in the playoffs would interfere with an Ivy League student athlete's study time. Especially since multitasking extracurricular activities along side school is usually what most Ivy League students (not just the athletes) had to do in order to be accepted by their university.

Honestly, I'd like to see if an Ivy League school can roll with the FCS elites in the playoffs. Or if they'd just be one and done like the MEAC schools usually are.

The Ivy League champ is invited to participate in the FCS playoffs and has been ever since it dropped down to I-AA. It's just that the conference has a policy of declining the bid.

4_tattos, The Ivy League still has the same expectation of their student-athletes, meaning that once enrolled, there is the expectation that they play all four (or five years) of eligibility unless they transfer. The expanded playoffs adds another four to six weeks The Ivies also have what is called The Academic Index, or A.I. for their up to 30 football recruits per year. It is a formula that essentially places Ivy recruits into four tiers, or bands. One could say that they have their "priorities" in greater order than those who chase a FCS championship yet have never earned a playoff invitation do.

For example, a coach may be allowed to select 2 players from the lowest band, 7 from the second band, 13 from the third and 8 from the highest. The minimum A.I. score is 176, which is roughly a 3.0 GPA and an 1140 SAT. The highest A.I. score is around 240.

Lastly, The Ivy League really does not like to schedule FCS schools which give out scholarships. We are coming to the end of Ivies scheduling the Patriot League for OCC games. Not sure if the Pioneer League/Ivy League scheduling arrangement will fully be made for 2016.

Yale plays Army due to it's only a bus trip to go to West Point, there is still have good attendance if at the Yale Bowl and since cadets are not technically not on scholarship, they see it as a somewhat even contest.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make punting on 3rd/4th down in football extinct. I want to see a team go for it, not just willingly hand the ball over.

If it's 4th and 15 on their own 5 yard line, I want my team to willingly hand the ball over.

What kind of team would punt on 3rd down.
Well, the Vikings did hire Norv....

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Make punting on 3rd/4th down in football extinct. I want to see a team go for it, not just willingly hand the ball over.

If it's 4th and 15 on their own 5 yard line, I want my team to willingly hand the ball over.

A Canadian team....

I didn't realize Canadian Football had three downs.

A team led by Marty Schottenheimer.

-MLB, the NBA, and the NHL should all have shortened seasons.

-I love shootouts in hockey.

-I'd rather watch an NBA with 5 "superteams" than watch one with 16 good teams, each with one "superstar," that all play iso ball.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I totally forgot about my college basketball proposal that I bring up at least twice a year around here. It'll never happen because of the money being brought in with the tournaments for each conference, but I would greatly prefer the weakest conferences to switch to a modified Ivy League method of determining its auto-bid. Instead of inviting the whole conference somewhere, decide it with the #1 and #2 teams in the conference regular season squaring off for the conference championship. Heck, you can even have a 2 vs. 3 tiebreak game to make it more fun if there's a tie. Now, I say "modified Ivy League" because it has the play-in game instead of just awarding the auto-bid to the #1 team, which keeps the conference's nice ESPN or ESPN2 slot on Championship Week as well as maintain a bit of a postseason. Oh, and the Ivy League itself also goes to this format given how fun that tiebreak game was a few years back.

Rather than being stuck with your conference's #8 team getting sent to Dayton on a Tuesday Night because they strung together 3 straight wins after doing absolutely nothing all season, you can possibly have a chance at having David upset Goliath.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Outside of the 2003 ALCS, the day A-Rod fought Varitek & the 2004 ALCS the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry has been nothing special to watch in my lifetime. Overall not worth all the hoopla their games get from the media.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I totally forgot about my college basketball proposal that I bring up at least twice a year around here. It'll never happen because of the money being brought in with the tournaments for each conference, but I would greatly prefer the weakest conferences to switch to a modified Ivy League method of determining its auto-bid. Instead of inviting the whole conference somewhere, decide it with the #1 and #2 teams in the conference regular season squaring off for the conference championship. Heck, you can even have a 2 vs. 3 tiebreak game to make it more fun if there's a tie. Now, I say "modified Ivy League" because it has the play-in game instead of just awarding the auto-bid to the #1 team, which keeps the conference's nice ESPN or ESPN2 slot on Championship Week as well as maintain a bit of a postseason. Oh, and the Ivy League itself also goes to this format given how fun that tiebreak game was a few years back.

Rather than being stuck with your conference's #8 team getting sent to Dayton on a Tuesday Night because they strung together 3 straight wins after doing absolutely nothing all season, you can possibly have a chance at having David upset Goliath.

In terms of integrity of the bid, I'd rather see every conference go straight Ivy League.

But given the greed, that is not going to happen. This solution makes sense...the title games still on TV. Nice idea.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

-MLB, the NBA, and the NHL should all have shortened seasons.

-I love shootouts in hockey.

-I'd rather watch an NBA with 5 "superteams" than watch one with 16 good teams, each with one "superstar," that all play iso ball.

Yeah, NBA should cut back to 20 teams tops....same for NHL

Offense is way down in baseball. And I love it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Offense is way down in baseball. And I love it.

Ditto. I especially hated those DH juicers from the American League in the heyday of the 'roids era. All they're good for is to hit the stupid ball for a dinger, not able to play defense because they're usually fat and out of shape. It really takes all the strategy out of the game since the lardass DH can just pop one out of the park in a fingersnap. When the offense in baseball is down, more managerial strategy is in play, which I love.

I dunno, as much as offense slows down the game, I'd rather watch a 4-hour game where something actually happens over a 3-hour snoozefest of out-out-out-out-out-out-SOMEONEGETSARUN-out-out-out...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived