1996-97 Tampa Bay Lightning Third Jersey

ddub53

Does anyone know who was responsible for designing the third jersey that the Tampa Bay Lightning wore beginning in 1996?

St. Petersburg Times, January 31st 1997

The Lightning introduced its alternate third jersey during a news conference before Thursday's game. The jersey will be worn on six occasions, starting with the Feb. 8 game against the Buffalo Sabres.
The jersey has the same color scheme as the regular jerseys - blue, white and black - except the third jersey has yellow streaks of lightning on the lower sleeves.
"Looks like someone threw up on the sleeves," general manager Phil Esposito joked. "Actually, I like the way the jersey looks. And I really like the numbers on the back."
The NHL designed several jerseys and submitted them to the Lightning. The team selected the final version. Tampa Bay is one of seven teams that will wear an alternate sweater.
Meantime, Esposito said the league is considering a change in which jerseys teams will wear next season. Traditionally, teams wear white at home and their dark jerseys on the road. Esposito said the league may have teams wear their white sweaters half the time at home and half the time on the road.
"I like that idea because the home fans get to see the dark jerseys in person for 21 games," Esposito said. "And the fans get to see the other teams' white sweaters half the time. I think it's good for the fans and I hope the league goes through with it."

Archived