CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

Whenever it's on and I get a chance I like to watch the CFL. It's fast-paced, fun, and fills a void before September.

That said, I don't think I could watch it full-time because of the ghastly uniforms. It seems like every team has sets with mismatched elements, bad templates, and just random designs that don't work.

I know there are a few CFL fans on here, and I just want to know how you put up with it.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my ratings on CFL unis:

BC: Decent

Edmonton: Beautiful(home)/Bad(away)

Calgary: Decent

Saskatchewan: Bad

Winnipeg:Decent

Toronto: Beautiful

Hamilton: Beautiful

Ottawa: Decent

Montreal: Good

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Whenever it's on and I get a chance I like to watch the CFL. It's fast-paced, fun, and fills a void before September.

That said, I don't think I could watch it full-time because of the ghastly uniforms. It seems like every team has sets with mismatched elements, bad templates, and just random designs that don't work.

I know there are a few CFL fans on here, and I just want to know how you put up with it.

I'm with you on that!

Toronto and Hamilton have uniforms worth of the NFL's upper tier.

Hamilton's homes are just OK. The roads with the black sleeves are weird and don't really work.

I respectfully disagree. This is a gorgeous set and could easily stand up to any classic NFL look...

ticats-473x315_zps93d01d56.jpghamilton-tiger-cats-season-over-2012_zps

Toronto looks good now but that team changes too often.

Well that doesn't really have anything to do with their look now. Like the Ti-Cats' set I'd put the Argos' uniforms up against the best the NFL has to offer.

As for changing too often? They've had their current set for two years. They had the previous set for six years. They had the set before that for nine years. It doesn't seem like the Argos change their uniforms with any more frequency then anyone else really.

Yeah, most of the CFL could use some work, but this match-up looks just as good as Packers-Bears or Chiefs-Raiders, in my opinion...

crop_19878473046_zps0e675a24.jpg

I'd even go so far as to say that the BC Lions' set works. It's a bit on the plain side, but it's not overly gaudy like Calgary's or feel like a generic template like Ottawa's or Saskatchewan's. It's just a solid football look.

DSC_3499_0_1_zps696710ca.jpg

Hamilton's homes are just OK. The roads with the black sleeves are weird and don't really work.

I respectfully disagree. This is a gorgeous set and could easily stand up to any classic NFL look...

Well that doesn't really have anything to do with their look now. Like the Ti-Cats' set I'd put the Argos' uniforms up against the best the NFL has to offer.

As for changing too often? They've had their current set for two years. They had the previous set for six years. They had the set before that for nine years. It doesn't seem like the Argos change their uniforms with any more frequency then anyone else really.

Yeah, most of the CFL could use some work, but this match-up looks just as good as Packers-Bears or Chiefs-Raiders, in my opinion...

I'd even go so far as to say that the BC Lions' set works. It's a bit on the plain side, but it's not overly gaudy like Calgary's or feel like a generic template like Ottawa's or Saskatchewan's. It's just a solid football look.

I have to agree with this as I really like these uniforms. Winnipeg really messed up when they changed this last time & Calgary does not need alot of changes to make that uniform pretty good.

Edmonton just needs some tweaks as well but I love the home uniform. I like some of Montreal's uniform so really the only look we have left is Ottawa which is not terrible but not great either.

So I guess I have to disagree with the OP except for the ads & a few looks I really like watching the CFL aesthetically.

The only truly "bad" looks in my opinion are Calgary, Ottawa, and Edmonton's road. And really only Calgary needs to blow things up.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Calgary is definitely a terrible jersey set and this is coming from a Stamps fan.

-Different coloured NOB on each jersey, white on the home and black on the road, despite having the same red yoke on both jerseys.

-The ugly font

-The overuse of black, especially the away helmets. One of the nicknames for the team is the Red and White, not the Red, White and Black.

Toronto, Hamilton and BC (I just wish they would get rid of the twitter account on the back of the helmet) are great. Edmonton is good, Ottawa and Winnipeg are okay (I just wish Winnipeg used a white jersey), Calgary, Saskatchewan and Montreal are bad. To me Montreal's are template jerseys that have too many colour changes.

Calgary (because the organization is sold on the black despite what the fans say) Edmonton, Ottawa and Saskatchewan could be better if they didn't try to have two distinct home and away jersey sets, especially the different helmets. Funny how the NFL only lets teams wear the same helmet over the entire year, while just under half the CFL wears a different helmet for away games.

IEI5Tg1.png

The Argonauts' look isn't that great, they have the same big clunky sleeve stripes as the Steelers. This looks better:

500Level-Michael_Clemons_2.jpg

That wasn't awful (and I think the pants stripe is pretty neat), but you absolutely must change the colours to Oxford/Cambridge.

Another league-wide problem: why does nobody know what a helmet stripe is? Two-thirds of the league don't sport them, which looks really bland and amateurish.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Argonauts' look isn't that great, they have the same big clunky sleeve stripes as the Steelers. This looks better:500Level-Michael_Clemons_2.jpg

No...that looks so...sick.

Hamilton's roads are the worst of the CFL,IMO.

Yes,I agree. I don't know why,but the Lions oranges unis make me love them but on the other I do not like it.

Toronto, really? That would be pretty awkward since they already use an NFL team's stripes exactly.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Toronto, really? That would be pretty awkward since they already use an NFL team's stripes exactly.
What do you mean? The Argos use five big stripes.

7615928772_bd31986262_z.jpg

The Steelers use five, three and sometimes two big stripes, all on the same jersey depending on the cut.

Ike+Taylor+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Baltimo

IEI5Tg1.png

Archived