CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

oh hey the REDBLACKS are finally RED and BLACK. Now that we know for sure these CFL Signature unis are templated, why did Saskatchewan go with traditional numbers/wordmark vs. 90s big logo and corner number? If the teams really had the choice like that, it's interesting that Toronto and Ottawa chose the hockey look.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All CFL alt uniforms are TERRIBLE.

Rankings the main sets, only the Tiger Cats are good even excluding ads. The Lions and Argonauts are fine enough but are too unoriginal. The Alouettes are ok in theory but bad in execution. Every other uni is a complete mess.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I actually really like Ottawa's signature series uniform.

I would have had numbers on the front instead of the logo but otherwise I love it. Andy maybe remove the "Ottawa" from the pants stripe. I really dislike that, same with Argos.

The plaid/lumberjack gimmick works really well with the saw blade logo. I kind of hope Ottawa moves towards this look going forward.

I watched the Argos/Lions game last night and I was surprised at how much I didn't hate the Argos look. Again, make it numbers on the front and drop the text on the pants stripe and it's an ok uniform.

I think that stamps helmet is going to be a chrome mess though.

Don't get me started on Winnipeg. Probably will be the worst look of them all.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Unveiled:

Here is the CFL.ca article and a couple more pics on twitter.

My 2 cents:

-Helmet is amazing

-Hate the "Argonaughts" written in the pants stripe

-Actually like the number font. It works for a 3rd only though, not if it were to be a primary

-The gradient on the shoulders is unnecessary. It feels like an extra element just to have it there (much like the 'rider's facemask)

-The logo on the gloves is cool. I've always liked that idea.

-This feels more like a hockey jersey with the logo on the front.

-The Reebok word mark on the back of the socks (look at the 3rd pic here) just sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

***Edit found a video too. Right Here***

crop_20626273148_zps99931567.jpg

crop_20626233153_zpsb596e909.jpg

crop_20626253150_zps27e72302.jpg

crop_20626313140_zps3a653f5d.jpg

Absolutely LOVE the Argos' white helmets. I hope Lions' management and their marketing team were taking notice on why striping looks great on a white helmet. It just stands out.

My Lions' helmet stripe: black(a little thinner than Toronto's Oxford navy), orange(same thickness as the Cambridge sky blue), black. Same striping on the home white pants and the orange and white inverted on the away orange pants.

My main objections to the Ottawa set are that the two halves of the decal don't really come together and disrupt the pattern, and that the from logo appears to be screened twill. Other than that, it's pretty good for what they were going for.

Oh, and it's $225 for a replica jersey with name and number. *dismissive wanking motion*

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

:censored:...anyone remember this stupid looking helmet Tulsa trotted out against Rice a few years ago? Cause the Blue Bombers helmet kinda reminds me of that.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

All CFL alt uniforms are TERRIBLE.

Rankings the main sets, only the Tiger Cats are good even excluding ads. The Lions and Argonauts are fine enough but are too unoriginal. The Alouettes are ok in theory but bad in execution. Every other uni is a complete mess.

The Argos current look is based off of their 1960s look. They didn't rip anyone off.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

:censored:...anyone remember this stupid looking helmet Tulsa trotted out against Rice a few years ago? Cause the Blue Bombers helmet kinda reminds me of that.

Had no idea what you were talking about so I googled and found this?

2qjvhxh.jpg

Reminds me of Saskatchewan's if anything

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

is this hamiltons???

espwlv.jpg

same design elements as the argos and riders jerseys

just very plain.. ( and i dont nean no numbers...

u would thing black numbers with tellow trim if this was one and not a prototype

That's it. The Ti-Cats' facebook Cover Photo shows their logo in Grey. I think that is the proof in the pudding. I'd be shocked if this wasn't their Signature Jersey. I wish they would have gone for something a little more creative. The Lions are already wearing a Grey jersey and now Hamilton has to have one too. As for the RedBlacks, the plaid idea is something very unique, however, their Signature Jersey may be the worst CFL jersey I have ever seen in my entire life. In my opinion, they had a real opportunity to take this Plaid look and make something amazing and I think they failed miserably. The logo on the front, and the plaid helmet too. Ouch. The Argonauts' Jersey has grown on me a bit since they wore it on Sunday. I'm hoping that this will look better on the field as well. Now that I think about it, a black RedBlacks jersey with Plaid stripes done close to what the Ottawa Rough Riders long-used black jersey looked like would probably be very, very nice. It would also set them apart from the rest of the CFL and give them more of an identity.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it really difficult that someone thought this was a good idea, let alone the majority of the design teams. Maybe every 20 years, CFL has to do something really drastic to get some attention, more so in the states. Because honestly, half of this material wouldn't even make it in the NCAA, and this is supposed to be "pro" football. Hell, LA Kiss has better kit than a majority of these signature looks.

Dig it!

Going for a military look with the digital camo. Unis get released tomorrow night.

I like that pattern - I'm guessing it's the digicam pattern for Canadian forces?

But it really needs a black facemask. The gray ruins the camo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Possible leak of the Winnipeg jersey via a graphic of a pin giveaway coming up later this month:

R9MEGb9.jpg

Blue Bombers:

BvbWspjCQAAENzH.jpg

Yay, yet another jersey with a letter on the front. I can't believe that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have replaced their beautiful Royal Blue and Gold throwback jersey for this Collegiate Practice Jersey. Unreal. That picture posted by Lee that was thought to be the Bombers' Signature Jersey looks a lot better than this. If that had this helmet and this blue camo look on the sides of it, that would actually be an alright third jersey. At least it wouldn't look like a Practice Jersey.

Archived